The Official-unofficial Bobcat-Weber st gameday thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: The Official-unofficial Bobcat-Weber st gameday thread

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:23 pm

ECBobcat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:17 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:11 pm
No bad road wins, folks, especially against the 4x defending champs off a bye on a short week for us. Offense got out of rhythm being backed up so much, but our defense is nasty and we're halfway home undefeated. I had this as a loss before the season going through the schedule. Take the win and the extra day of rest, handle business against isu, then take our own bye to get ready for eastern.
This is an excellent point. We spent so much time buried deep—many times at the 10 or inside.
True enough. Any theories as to why the O got so backed up? Maybe had something to do with their execution?

utcatfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by utcatfan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:25 pm

Was pretty annoyed with the play calling tonight, seemed like every drive was:

-Run up the Middle
-Run up the Middle
-Crossing/Hitch Route

Also not trying to be negative but McKay really needs to step up against better defenses. Tons of under thrown or passes behind the WRs.

When we put Tanner in (If I remember correctly) at QB and ran that option and with how successful it was I personally think we should have put him in the game more or run more plays like that, work the edges because Weber was keying on Ifanse and Middle Run is their strength.
Last edited by utcatfan on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:25 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:58 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:55 pm
Jeff Choate went 0-3 against Weber, but apparently this road win on a day less rest against a team coming off a bye isn't "good enough".
Huh. I didn’t realize that. Interesting.
Because Weber isn't very good. They aren't making the playoffs, and likely won't finish with a winning record.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:25 pm

onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:19 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:50 pm
Fugly road win against a top 20 team. Short week, Weber coming off a bye. We had a lot of excuses to lose this game. The defense wouldn’t allow it.

Definitely a lot to work on, but an ugly W is better than a pretty L.
They aren't a Top 20 team. They are 2-4 with a <10% chance of making the playoffs. Theres probably a 50-50 shot they finish the season with a losing record.

Happy to take the win, but we can't polish this turd.
Webers record is a result of scheduling Utah and James Madison instead of Drake and San Diego. Lost to UC Davis in the last minutes of the game with a bunch of injuries. Their record in no way reflects how good they are. They may not make the playoffs but they are definitely a top 20 team.
Last edited by rivercat on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 pm

utcatfan wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:25 pm
Was pretty annoyed with the play calling tonight, seemed like every drive was:
-Run up the Middle
-Run up the Middle
-Crossing/Hitch Route

Also not trying to be negative but McKay really needs to step up against better defenses. Tons of under thrown or passes behind the WRs.
Crossing/Hitch route 3 yards short of the sticks. ](*,)

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:26 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:25 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:19 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:50 pm
Fugly road win against a top 20 team. Short week, Weber coming off a bye. We had a lot of excuses to lose this game. The defense wouldn’t allow it.

Definitely a lot to work on, but an ugly W is better than a pretty L.
They aren't a Top 20 team. They are 2-4 with a <10% chance of making the playoffs. Theres probably a 50-50 shot they finish the season with a losing record.

Happy to take the win, but we can't polish this turd.
Webers record is a result of scheduling Utah and James Madison instead of Drake and San Diego. Lost to UC Davis in the last minutes of the game with a bunch of injuries. Their record in no way reflects how good they are. They may not make the playoffs but they are definitely a top 30 team.
Agreed. Top 30 for sure. Hard to hang your hat on those wins.

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:32 pm

1 of 14 on 3rd down. Offensive line needs to get better! Plain and simple.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:33 pm

This is a big win. No matter how u cut it.

Was the offense extremely frustrating, yeah! Doesn’t matter though, just got a huge road win against a damn good team.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

utcatfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by utcatfan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:33 pm

083190 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:32 pm
I blame the play-calling more than the offensive line, running up the middle three times in a row which is the strength of the Weber State's defense makes zero damn sense

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:13 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:46 pm
This win is like kissing your cousin
Really? go to bed………
My apologies if I offended you. I was simply trying to pull off a Coach Bob Greenism and say I have mixed feelings about this one. I am thrilled we finally put Weber away and got the win but at no point was it pretty.

I will go to my room now and think about what I have done.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:36 pm

Great Bobcat win! =D^ =D^ =D^

Not because the Offense exploded and went off, but because the Cats went into Ogden and won a game in...like forever! 8)

For some on this board you fail to recognize that what you saw tonight was a typical Bobcat/weber game. They are always strange, and weird things happen and it's never over until it's over. And tonight, a new HC, OC, and DC with a new QB went into a perennial BSC champion's house and robbed them blind.

A Defensive display that has just sent shock waves into the other contenders locker rooms not because of anything other than only allowing 7 points to Weber ALL.NIGHT!

This felt like a little bit of NDSU-ish kind of football. We took what we could take, controlled the ball, and suffocated the other team.

A road win...lots to focus on...but I'm more confident in this team now than previously! Great win Cats! =D^ =D^ =D^

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 pm

083190 wrote:
No. O line played well, Weber stacked the box all night long yet Housewright kept pounding the middle. They were daring MSU to throw the ball.

Weber's interior D was almost impenetrable after the first drive of the game.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcatfan1 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 pm

Wow. I was critical of the offensive play calling during the game. But preseason, I figured we needed to win 1 of our 3 tough road games to make the playoffs and 2 to have a decent position and successful season. Well, so far we have won 1 /1. So we are sitting right where most of us would have LOVED to be preseason \:D/

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

utcatfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by utcatfan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:38 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:36 pm
Great Bobcat win! =D^ =D^ =D^

Not because the Offense exploded and went off, but because the Cats went into Ogden and won a game in...like forever! 8)

For some on this board you fail to recognize that what you saw tonight was a typical Bobcat/weber game. They are always strange, and weird things happen and it's never over until it's over. And tonight, a new HC, OC, and DC with a new QB went into a perennial BSC champion's house and robbed them blind.

A Defensive display that has just sent shock waves into the other contenders locker rooms not because of anything other than only allowing 7 points to Weber ALL.NIGHT!

This felt like a little bit of NDSU-ish kind of football. We took what we could take, controlled the ball, and suffocated the other team.

A road win...lots to focus on...but I'm more confident in this team now than previously! Great win Cats! =D^ =D^ =D^
Not at all saying this wasn't a good win but at the same time there are things that definitely need to be cleaned up if we are expected to perform well in the playoffs. Cannot have constant underthrown or balls thrown behind the wide receivers and primarily we really need to fix our play calling against tough defenses. Runs up the middle and a Crossing route every Drive doesn't get it done

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:38 pm

I thought McKay should have kept the ball multiple times on that option up the middle to Ifanse. When he finally did, it worked to perfection on that last first down run. Boy, the play calling certainly can’t get any worse. Thank you defense, especially Hardy and Troy. Great win!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

utcatfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by utcatfan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:39 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 pm
083190 wrote:
No. O line played well, Weber stacked the box all night long yet Housewright kept pounding the middle. They were daring MSU to throw the ball.

Weber's interior D was almost impenetrable after the first drive of the game.
McKay wasn't doing us any favors either, under thrown or thrown behind the wide receiver it seemed almost on every throw

js1010
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by js1010 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:42 pm

The old saying of which ever teams win 2 out of the 3 phases (offence, defence, special teams) will win the game really played out tonight. I know the main story is how great our defence played and how underwhelming our offence was but I think the special teams played a huge part in the win. obviously the two field goals were the difference on the scoreboard but the punt and kick off units played perfectly on a night when they really needed too. Weber States return man is the kind of player that can change the outcome of a game, especially a tight scoring one. The fact that our special teams kept him in check was big part in the win.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 pm

Wooooooo. That’s all I have to say right now.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:51 pm

Weebly week off. Short week on the road. Great win.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:03 am

What was the best comment by the announcers? If I’m not mistaken right towards the end of the game they said the Bobcats have the best defense in the NFL! And then they said something about Buffalo’s defense.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi