Comparing top BSC Defenses

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Comparing top BSC Defenses

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:07 pm

How do the defenses of MSU, UM, EW, UCD, and WEB stack up so far? Only including results against FCS competition.

Rush Yards Allowed per Game:
  • UM: 78
  • MSU: 102
  • WEB: 115
  • UCD: 149
  • EW: 151
Rush Yards Allowed per Carry:
  • UM: 2.3
  • MSU: 2.9
  • WEB: 3.5
  • EW: 4.1
  • UCD: 4.3
Passing Yards Allowed per Game:
  • WEB: 129
  • MSU: 158
  • EW: 227
  • UCD: 247
  • UM: 275
Passing Yards Allowed per Attempt:
  • WEB: 4.6
  • MSU: 5.9
  • UCD: 6.5
  • UM: 6.6
  • EW: 7.2
Points Allowed per Game:
  • MSU: 9
  • WEB: 15
  • UCD: 16
  • UM: 18
  • EW: 29
Takeaways:
  • UCD: 14
  • MSU: 13
  • UM: 12
  • EW: 11
  • WEB: 5
TFL per Game:
  • UM: 8.2
  • MSU: 7.6
  • EW: 6.9
  • WEB: 5.7
  • UCD: 5.3
*Updated through week 7
Last edited by Lord Vigo on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Catsrgrood

Re: Comparing top BSC Defenses

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Thanks for compiling. The stats nerd in me loves it.
It’s a small sample size and the competition isn’t apples to apples, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

It’ll be interesting to see again in a few weeks, or at the end of the season with a Big Sky conference game only look. That’s as close to an apples to apples comparison as we’re going to get with the unbalanced schedule.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:33 pm

Fun stuff to look at, but since um has played Eastern Wash and MSU has not, I'd say its tough to draw any real conclusions about whose defense is better.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:33 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:33 pm
Fun stuff to look at, but since um has played Eastern Wash and MSU has not, I'd say its tough to draw any real conclusions about whose defense is better.
um has played EWU and Washington. They are up there in every category. Pretty impressive it pains me to say.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:41 pm

If Washington and Wyoming played, it would be a close game. Washington was very overrated and it shows. They are heading towards not even having a winning record and no bowl game.

Punters are people too!!

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:33 pm

FYI wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:33 pm
91catAlum wrote:
um has played EWU and Washington. They are up there in every category. Pretty impressive it pains me to say.
Washington stats aren’t included, FCS only.

You still have a point, they played the #1 offense in the FCS and we haven’t played anyone to speak of yet. But at the end of the season you’ll be able to compare numbers more fairly.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:46 pm

FYI wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The post says the stats are from FCS games only. Their passing defensive stats aren't that great which is why I said it's not a good comparison since they've played eastern and we haven't.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:59 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:46 pm
FYI wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The post says the stats are from FCS games only. Their passing defensive stats aren't that great which is why I said it's not a good comparison since they've played eastern and we haven't.
Of course, UM gave up 5 yards per carry on actual rushes to EWU...Barriere & Merritt ran all over the Griz front 7. Its just that sack yards count as rushes.

No doubt, the Griz have had a more difficult FCS schedule than the Cats. But if EWU can run for 5 yards/carry agains the Griz, theres no doubt in my mind that the Griz front 7 are going to have a really hard time stopping Ifanse/Sumner/Elliot.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:29 pm

FYI wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Griz no doubt have an excellent defense but I didn’t include any non-FCS games, just FYI. The Washington game isn’t part of these stats.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:59 pm
91catAlum wrote:
FYI wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Of course, UM gave up 5 yards per carry on actual rushes to EWU...Barriere & Merritt ran all over the Griz front 7. Its just that sack yards count as rushes.

No doubt, the Griz have had a more difficult FCS schedule than the Cats. But if EWU can run for 5 yards/carry agains the Griz, theres no doubt in my mind that the Griz front 7 are going to have a really hard time stopping Ifanse/Sumner/Elliot.
Hauck is also employing the 3-3-5 that he learned from Rocky Long at SDSU. Being out of the ordinary, some of their success could just be schematic. It could lose some of its effectiveness as the season wears on and teams get tape on it.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:38 pm

I’ll say this— if the Cats’ defense can be roughly as good as the Griz against EW, I think that the Cats will win that game. The Eagles’ defense has shown so far that they can downright terrible. Western Illinois scored 56 points on them!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:35 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:38 pm
I’ll say this— if the Cats’ defense can be roughly as good as the Griz against EW, I think that the Cats will win that game. The Eagles’ defense has shown so far that they can downright terrible. Western Illinois scored 56 points on them!
I agree - and if the Bobcat defense that I've been watching allows the Eags to put up 450 yards through the air, or whatever they got against UM..... I'll be incredibly surprised.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
My guess (and I didn't watch any of EWUs earlier games) is that the EWU D isn't so much bad as that they take a bunch of plays off. In that WIU game, they were up by 30 or 35, and they were sitting the offensive starters...pretty sure the D starters were sitting too.

But yes, if the Cats can hold EWU to 21 offensive points, I think the Cats win by at least 2, maybe 3 scores. The Cats should have no problem putting up 35 points on this EWU team.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:02 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:41 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
My guess (and I didn't watch any of EWUs earlier games) is that the EWU D isn't so much bad as that they take a bunch of plays off. In that WIU game, they were up by 30 or 35, and they were sitting the offensive starters...pretty sure the D starters were sitting too.

But yes, if the Cats can hold EWU to 21 offensive points, I think the Cats win by at least 2, maybe 3 scores. The Cats should have no problem putting up 35 points on this EWU team.
I just don't know how any team can defend some of the passes EB3 makes. 50 yds to a receiver on a fly route and place perfectly over the receivers shoulder. To make things harder, EB3 is willing to hang in the pocket looking for the big play and take a sack or hit just to have the chance to make a great play. From what I saw watching um vs EWU, the griz as a team are better than EWU. EB3 is so much better than everyone that he won the game.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:08 pm

onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

I don't think it was just their defense taking plays off when things were out of hand.

WIU scored threes times in the first quarter, all while it was a one score game.

There was clearly some garbage time scoring too, but WIU's offense was effective basically from start to finish.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 pm
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
FYI wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Hauck is also employing the 3-3-5 that he learned from Rocky Long at SDSU. Being out of the ordinary, some of their success could just be schematic. It could lose some of its effectiveness as the season wears on and teams get tape on it.
Is that the same defense Cal Poly plays? I know I've heard 3-3-5 come out of somebody's mouth (I think Vigen's) recently.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:48 pm

Here are the Massey computer defensive power ratings, based on the big matrix of who all played who, comparative scores, home-road etc. It’s probably a pretty objective look. And it looks like indeed, playing defense is what the better teams are doing this year.

Defensive Power Ratings (Top 10, Big Sky, Bobcat opponents)

1 N Dakota State
2 Northern Iowa
3 S Dakota State
4 Montana
5 South Dakota
6 North Dakota
7 Weber State
8 Missouri State
9 James Madison
10 Montana State
12 UC Davis
23 Northern Colorado
26 CS Sacramento
29 Northern Arizona
32 Idaho
40 Eastern Washington
44 Portland State
55 Idaho State
58 Southern Utah
85 Cal Poly
93 Drake
113 San Diego

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:08 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

I don't think it was just their defense taking plays off when things were out of hand.

WIU scored threes times in the first quarter, all while it was a one score game.

There was clearly some garbage time scoring too, but WIU's offense was effective basically from start to finish.
Maybe. But according to your other post, the Griz avaerage 36 and EWU held them to 21. Small sample size at this point, but I saw a D that was fast, opportunistic, and physical.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:54 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:36 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 pm
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
FYI wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Is that the same defense Cal Poly plays? I know I've heard 3-3-5 come out of somebody's mouth (I think Vigen's) recently.
UNC ran a 3-3 Stack and MSU ran through it effectively. If you have a solid interior run game, the 3-3 Stack's #1 weakness is a well-blocked inside zone. The double teams are clear for offensive lineman and TFLs rarely happen. If you watch back the 2019 Cat-Griz game, we hammered UM's front with simple inside zone runs. I'm still very surprised UW had trouble running against the Griz and it's a testament to how hard UM played that night.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:55 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:08 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Maybe. But according to your other post, the Griz avaerage 36 and EWU held them to 21. Small sample size at this point, but I saw a D that was fast, opportunistic, and physical.
Yet EWU gave up 56 to a Western Illinois team that couldn't even score an offensive point against the Griz.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."