Comparing top BSC Defenses

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Comparing top BSC Defenses

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:43 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:55 pm
onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:08 pm
onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:41 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:38 pm
I’ll say this— if the Cats’ defense can be roughly as good as the Griz against EW, I think that the Cats will win that game. The Eagles’ defense has shown so far that they can downright terrible. Western Illinois scored 56 points on them!
My guess (and I didn't watch any of EWUs earlier games) is that the EWU D isn't so much bad as that they take a bunch of plays off. In that WIU game, they were up by 30 or 35, and they were sitting the offensive starters...pretty sure the D starters were sitting too.

But yes, if the Cats can hold EWU to 21 offensive points, I think the Cats win by at least 2, maybe 3 scores. The Cats should have no problem putting up 35 points on this EWU team.
I don't think it was just their defense taking plays off when things were out of hand.

WIU scored threes times in the first quarter, all while it was a one score game.

There was clearly some garbage time scoring too, but WIU's offense was effective basically from start to finish.
Maybe. But according to your other post, the Griz avaerage 36 and EWU held them to 21. Small sample size at this point, but I saw a D that was fast, opportunistic, and physical.
Yet EWU gave up 56 to a Western Illinois team that couldn't even score an offensive point against the Griz.
And WIU put up 30 against #8 SIU. Compare that with the 28 WIU put up against EWU before the scrubs went in.

WIU also put up 35 against a mediocre MVFC team & 21 against their FBS opponent.

This is the danger with taking stats out of context-especially in a sport like football with a really small sample size & where teams can really pad their stats (or let their stats fall) with garbage time.

EWU made critical stops against UM when it mattered (i.e. 2 big INTs). And I'm guessing that they will continue to do so long enough for the Eagles to make a deep playoff run. They aren't top 10 by any means, but they are clearly in the top half of the Big Sky.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:25 pm

MSU beats WSU, Ewu, and um.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:39 am

Once we have 11 games to compare, we will be able to determine which team has the better defense. Then it comes down to who can spin that data the best to their advantage. Based on this, I now declare us to have a much better defense, but only if Troy sits out the Cat/griz game.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am

allcat wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:39 am
Once we have 11 games to compare, we will be able to determine which team has the better defense. Then it comes down to who can spin that data the best to their advantage. Based on this, I now declare us to have a much better defense, but only if Troy sits out the Cat/griz game.
In related news, Robby Hauck was credited with 5 tackles, 2 TFL and a pass breakup.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:16 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:43 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
I’ll say this— if the Cats’ defense can be roughly as good as the Griz against EW, I think that the Cats will win that game. The Eagles’ defense has shown so far that they can downright terrible. Western Illinois scored 56 points on them!
My guess (and I didn't watch any of EWUs earlier games) is that the EWU D isn't so much bad as that they take a bunch of plays off. In that WIU game, they were up by 30 or 35, and they were sitting the offensive starters...pretty sure the D starters were sitting too.

But yes, if the Cats can hold EWU to 21 offensive points, I think the Cats win by at least 2, maybe 3 scores. The Cats should have no problem putting up 35 points on this EWU team.
I don't think it was just their defense taking plays off when things were out of hand.

WIU scored threes times in the first quarter, all while it was a one score game.

There was clearly some garbage time scoring too, but WIU's offense was effective basically from start to finish.
Maybe. But according to your other post, the Griz avaerage 36 and EWU held them to 21. Small sample size at this point, but I saw a D that was fast, opportunistic, and physical.
Yet EWU gave up 56 to a Western Illinois team that couldn't even score an offensive point against the Griz.
And WIU put up 30 against #8 SIU. Compare that with the 28 WIU put up against EWU before the scrubs went in.

WIU also put up 35 against a mediocre MVFC team & 21 against their FBS opponent.

This is the danger with taking stats out of context-especially in a sport like football with a really small sample size & where teams can really pad their stats (or let their stats fall) with garbage time.

EWU made critical stops against UM when it mattered (i.e. 2 big INTs). And I'm guessing that they will continue to do so long enough for the Eagles to make a deep playoff run. They aren't top 10 by any means, but they are clearly in the top half of the Big Sky.
Wat?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:16 pm
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Wat?
They aren't top 10 in the country. The are easily in the top half of the BSC. Certainly a lot better than, say Portland State. Clearly not as good as, say MSU or UM.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:26 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Wat?
They aren't top 10 in the country. The are easily in the top half of the BSC. Certainly a lot better than, say Portland State. Clearly not as good as, say MSU or UM.
Huh! Didn't they just beat UM?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 pm

seataccat wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:26 pm
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Wat?
Just the D. Obviously EWU can hang with anyone in the country. Best O...Not nearly as good on D, but the D isn't "bad" by any stretch of the imagination.

For context: EWUs D is better than UM's O. All I'm really getting at is that EWU isn't so bad on D that you can discount it.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 pm
seataccat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Wat?
Just the D. Obviously EWU can hang with anyone in the country. Best O...Not nearly as good on D, but the D isn't "bad" by any stretch of the imagination.

For context: EWUs D is better than UM's O. All I'm really getting at is that EWU isn't so bad on D that you can discount it.
I'm still not sure what you're talking about. EWU is in the top four teams in the country right now IMO. Absolutely they are in the top ten. EB is a phenom and will probably win the Peyton.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:00 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm
onceacat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Wat?

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. EWU is in the top four teams in the country right now IMO. Absolutely they are in the top ten. EB is a phenom and will probably win the Peyton.
Yes. Everyone agrees that EWU is a top team, that EB is probably the best player in FCS, and that the Eagles are hands down the best offense in the country. Theres some dispute as to whether or not the EWU D is terrible or not. I don't think you can be a top 4 team and have a terrible defense. So I'm arguing that the EWU D is pretty underrated, although its clearly not elite.

This thread is just about defenses, not about the entire team.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am

Only seeing a couple of their games, EWU's defense doesn't look all that worse than any defense they field every year. Their defenses are never very good. Offenses always pretty good. They'll be tough to beat like always because they can light up the scoreboard.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:04 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:00 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm
onceacat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
catatac wrote:
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Wat?

Yes. Everyone agrees that EWU is a top team, that EB is probably the best player in FCS, and that the Eagles are hands down the best offense in the country. Theres some dispute as to whether or not the EWU D is terrible or not. I don't think you can be a top 4 team and have a terrible defense. So I'm arguing that the EWU D is pretty underrated, although its clearly not elite.

This thread is just about defenses, not about the entire team.
Ahhh, gotchya, sorry for being slow. Yes I agree the EWU defense isn't a top defense in the country and would not be in the top 10.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Updated to reflect Saturday's games.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:46 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 pm
Any chance you could include sacks?

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:44 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:46 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 pm
Any chance you could include sacks?
Yeah, but I won't be able to split out the FBS for D-2 games-- it will just be all of them.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm

Updated.

Pretty clear distinction emerging between the Cats and Grizzlies.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:45 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm
Updated.

Thanks again for compiling all his, very interesting to see.

I do think the Cats D is better than um’s, but it’s also hard to compare too much right now when they’ve played the best offense in the FCS and we’ve yet to play them.

In a couple weeks I suspect the pass defense stats and ppg won’t have such a wide margin between them.

Even if the Cats do win that game against EWU, eastern will put up their points and yards, no doubt.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:45 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm
Updated.

Thanks again for compiling all his, very interesting to see.

I do think the Cats D is better than um’s, but it’s also hard to compare too much right now when they’ve played the best offense in the FCS and we’ve yet to play them.

In a couple weeks I suspect the pass defense stats and ppg won’t have such a wide margin between them.

Even if the Cats do win that game against EWU, eastern will put up their points and yards, no doubt.
The EW game really exaggerates it, but even if you take the two defense’s two worst games away, MSU is still pretty clearly ahead.

MSU: 7.6 ppg allowed

UM: 11.2

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:47 am

Not sure what this stat means but we have only had 4 FGs kicked against us all year and two of those were in the Wyoming game. So against FCS opponents 2 FGs in 6 games. In general do FCS kickers suck? Cats defense that good? Why so few FGs? Glessner has made 12.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:47 am
Not sure what this stat means but we have only had 4 FGs kicked against us all year and two of those were in the Wyoming game. So against FCS opponents 2 FGs in 6 games. In general do FCS kickers suck? Cats defense that good? Why so few FGs? Glessner has made 12.
Kickers. Most need to be inside your 30. At the 30 it makes it a 47 yd fg. Most kickers accuracy goes way down at that distance. Not many times the defense let them near the red zone.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic