Root sports

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: Root sports

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:30 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:16 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm
rivercat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:03 pm
Pluto was only for conference games. Which meant I actually had to buy a PPV stream from msubobcats.com to watch out of conference games. I would have had to of paid $20 to watch us slaughter San Diego and Drake. So in that way it’s less splintered.
I hope a $20 solution emerges for Cat griz.
it's on Root, same as the past what 4 years? nothing has changed.
... except that Dish Network dropped Root over a contract dispute. Actually, nothing more than corporate greed, as DirecTV is AT&T, and Root is owned by ATT Sportsnet. So yes, for Dish Network subscribers, there has been a change, my brother being one of those subscribers.
So you're in the same boat as me, I dropped cable and Dish decided not to carry AT&T channels. But still nothing has changed, its still on Root... now you just have to go to a sports bar, like me, to watch it.

snowxlt
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by snowxlt » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 am

Doesn't look like on Root sports to me now: https://northwest.rootsports.com/big-sky/ i also did not see it on todays Root Schedule for 8 pm as well. Looks like only ESPNu tonight.

96 Engineering and 99 Education

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:25 am

snowxlt wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 am
Doesn't look like on Root sports to me now: https://northwest.rootsports.com/big-sky/ i also did not see it on todays Root Schedule for 8 pm as well. Looks like only ESPNu tonight.
Correct....tonight's game is not on Root or ESPN+. ESPNU only.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:54 am

In reality it's pretty impressive the Big Sky was able to lobby ROOT to give up streaming rights for the Big Sky for out of area fans to a competing network. That ain't happening if it's the Jazz, Trailblazers, or Kraken. ESPN and ROOT are competitors.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:32 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:54 am
In reality it's pretty impressive the Big Sky was able to lobby ROOT to give up streaming rights for the Big Sky for out of area fans to a competing network. That ain't happening if it's the Jazz, Trailblazers, or Kraken. ESPN and ROOT are competitors.
Actually it is for the Kraken. Which only makes me more mad at Root. NHL out of market games that are not nationally televised are all on ESPN+ now. But Montana is considered in region for Avalanche, Golden Knights and Kraken so I don't get to watch any Kraken games on ESPN+. :evil:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:51 am

Just had an email stating fubo has added Root sports! 2018 CAT griz replay on right now. Go Fubo!!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:31 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:51 am
Just had an email stating fubo has added Root sports! 2018 CAT griz replay on right now. Go Fubo!!!!
Watching a bit while I work, just happened to see the play where Jalen Cole went down. I don't think he ever played again, major bummer for him.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:55 pm

When it takes 3 paid packages to view all conference games, I don't know what you call that other than a splintered/fragmented product.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:07 pm

codecat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:55 pm
When it takes 3 paid packages to view all conference games, I don't know what you call that other than a splintered/fragmented product.
If you don't like that you don't like Big $ky Football!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:18 pm

codecat wrote:
You've just described the current cable cutting world. Everybody was clamoring for ala carte options, and boom now you can't get 3 channels you want without subscribing to multiple services.

Let's take a look at a cable cutter's options in from 2012-2019 (2012 start of ROOT deal) vs 2021 who lived in the ROOT footprint:.

2012-2019
OOC home games - msubobcats.com/watch $10 each game
Conference games - Pluto/Watchbigsky.com $0
ROOT - I don't recall but you still had to find something with a ROOT or Audience channel. It's never been easy
Total services required - 3

OOC home games - ESPN+ $6/month
Conference games - ESPN+ $6/month
ROOT - 2 Streaming service options (Fubo, DirecTV Stream)
ESPNU - Plenty of options, including bundling one with ROOT
Total Services required - 2 or 3. Fubo has a bundle with both ROOT and ESPNU

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:39 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:18 pm
codecat wrote:
You've just described the current cable cutting world. Everybody was clamoring for ala carte options, and boom now you can't get 3 channels you want without subscribing to multiple services.

Let's take a look at a cable cutter's options in from 2012-2019 (2012 start of ROOT deal) vs 2021 who lived in the ROOT footprint:.

2012-2019
ROOT - I don't recall but you still had to find something with a ROOT or Audience channel. It's never been easy

I'm still clamoring for an ala carte option. We never got it. What we got was a recreation of cable in cord cutting. Youtube TV, fuboTV, direcTV Stream, etc. are nothing more than streaming cable/satellite services. As seen with Dish Network, the traditional cable companies have the same issues with having some channels and not others.

Give me the opportunity to pick and pay for just the 8-10 channels I actually every watch. Let me sign up for those channels and stream them individually, that's what people want. Every company whether traditional cable or OTT service gives big like 180+ channels. I'm lucky if I ever look at 5% of them but I have to subsidize the others to get the few that I am actually interested in unfortunately.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:18 pm

kmax wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:39 pm
CelticCat wrote:
codecat wrote:

2012-2019

I'm still clamoring for an ala carte option. We never got it. What we got was a recreation of cable in cord cutting. Youtube TV, fuboTV, direcTV Stream, etc. are nothing more than streaming cable/satellite services. As seen with Dish Network, the traditional cable companies have the same issues with having some channels and not others.

Give me the opportunity to pick and pay for just the 8-10 channels I actually every watch. Let me sign up for those channels and stream them individually, that's what people want. Every company whether traditional cable or OTT service gives big like 180+ channels. I'm lucky if I ever look at 5% of them but I have to subsidize the others to get the few that I am actually interested in unfortunately.
Amen

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:58 am

catbooster wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:18 pm
kmax wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
codecat wrote:

2012-2019

Amen
Our old package with Spectrum was ala carte. They did limit which channels but it was a fair start. Would love to see someone say, here are the ----- channels we carry, take your pick and here is the cost. It would probably be tough to figure everyones wants but sure would be nice. That would be true customer service...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:38 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:58 am
catbooster wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:18 pm
kmax wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
codecat wrote:

2012-2019

Amen
Our old package with Spectrum was ala carte. They did limit which channels but it was a fair start. Would love to see someone say, here are the ----- channels we carry, take your pick and here is the cost. It would probably be tough to figure everyones wants but sure would be nice. That would be true customer service...
I can't help but think somewhere along the way, before Root came along anyway, when SWX produced all the conference games (and maybe a few more) that we missed the boat somehow. It would have been a good opportunity I thought for SWX or MSU even to beef up their servers so they could handle all requests to stream those games, no matter where from, and charge either for the season or a game at a time basis.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!