BSC QB’s

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: BSC QB’s

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:46 pm

FYI wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:05 am
It is interesting and maybe a bit mystifying how the Cats have McKay at all. In 2019 he came in as North Carolina State's starting quarterback.
Game 1 vs. East Carolina went 25-37-308, 1 TD, 0 int and wins with 34 points.
Game 2 vs. West Carolina 18-28-200, 1, 0 and wins with 28 points.
Game 3 vs. West Virginia 23-48-207-1-0 L-27
Game 4 vs. Ball State 17-30-175-0-1 W-34
The next week NC State coach announces he is making a change at QB, needs someone more productive. The first four were the easiest
part of the schedule. Seven to go. However.....they go 1-6 and average 16.6 ppg the rest of the way. McKay never sees the field.
But, it's 2021, Montana State with McKay are 3-1, North Carolina State is 3-1 without him. Win-Win!
MSU probably got a nice assist from McGhee to get McKay.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:58 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 pm
I'm not saying McKay isn't a good QB. He's the best we've had since Prukop at passing, but I guess we're used to more athletic running QB's.
Athletic running QBs like Tucker Rovig and Casey Baumann. Tucker is basically 4th-string now after being the 2019 starting QB against NDSU in the semifinals. The QB has been massively upgraded and nobody in the program would say otherwise.

OK.
I'm talking athletic QB's like Prukop and Murray...

2024 Resume dominance

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:47 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 pm
I'm not saying McKay isn't a good QB. He's the best we've had since Prukop at passing, but I guess we're used to more athletic running QB's.
Athletic running QBs like Tucker Rovig and Casey Baumann. Tucker is basically 4th-string now after being the 2019 starting QB against NDSU in the semifinals. The QB has been massively upgraded and nobody in the program would say otherwise.

OK.
I'm talking athletic QB's like Prukop and Murray...
Bad reading comprehension on my part.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:23 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 am
FYI wrote:
It is interesting and maybe a bit mystifying how the Cats have McKay at all. In 2019 he came in as North Carolina State's starting quarterback.
The next week NC State coach announces he is making a change at QB, needs someone more productive. The first four were the easiest
part of the schedule. Seven to go. However.....they go 1-6 and average 16.6 ppg the rest of the way. McKay never sees the field.
But, it's 2021, Montana State with McKay are 3-1, North Carolina State is 3-1 without him. Win-Win!
Wasn't Ryan Finley still there in 2019?

Doesn't show up in any stats. Devin Leary replaced Matt.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:46 pm

FYI wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:23 pm
catatac wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 am
FYI wrote:
Wasn't Ryan Finley still there in 2019?

Doesn't show up in any stats. Devin Leary replaced Matt.
Finley was drafted in 2019. Last season at NC State was 2018.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:04 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:01 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:46 pm
Marana CAT wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:04 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm
Marana CAT wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 am
Thanks to ESPN + I have watched every team in the BSC play at least once and most 2-3 games. (Weber, UM, EWU, UC Davis) I feel we just played the #2 QB in the league. If Davis Alexander was playing for a team like Weber lookout. As to date the only better QB in the BSC is Eric Barriere. I am very happy to get out of PSU with a 30-17 win. I honestly believe PSU could win 5-6 conference games this year.

As to date this is how I would rate the BSC QB’s.

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
3. UCD - Rodrigues (injury)
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
I don’t know enough about all the QB’s in the conference to rank them, but I would definitely put McKay ahead of Davis Alexander. Alexander is good, no doubt. But I think McKay has demonstrated he’s a much better passer in their heads up matchup and his only interception was an obvious fluke.
Watch Alexander against Hawaii and Washington State. McKay might be a better passing QB but is it because of his line and run game. I’m not cutting McKay down at all. I believe he will be one of the best QB’s in FCS before he graduates however right now Alexander is playing extremely well for what he has to play with. I think when we look back at this season this win against PSU is going to look a lot better to most of us. Alexander and his WR’s are going to be a difficult matchup for every team they play. Cats have a very good Defense and he pushed them to play at a high level to win. This was a big win on the road.
You may be but I am still not sold as McKay being a QB to get the bobcats deep in the playoffs. He and the receivers aren't on the same page often and I can't believe it is all the receivers fault as we have an offensive coordinator at wr coach. I don't like his accuracy on mid range passes to the side lines, making the receivers jump and stretch to even get close to the ball. Yes he has 1 interception but he has a lot of passes that weren't even close. And I wish vigen would explain, but no he better not even mention, why mellot came in as QB while the two other play callers sent in signals from the sideline.
I'm not even going to comment on McKay other than saying 66% completion percentage.

The Mellot explanation is pretty simple. Wildcat QB who has speed and can actually throw. If you noticed McKay was out wide on those plays. Why would we bring in 2 less mobile QBs for wildcat?
That would be my guess on Mellott. He played to their weakness...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:32 pm

Montanabob wrote:
You may be but I am still not sold as McKay being a QB to get the bobcats deep in the playoffs. He and the receivers aren't on the same page often and I can't believe it is all the receivers fault as we have an offensive coordinator at wr coach. I don't like his accuracy on mid range passes to the side lines, making the receivers jump and stretch to even get close to the ball. Yes he has 1 interception but he has a lot of passes that weren't even close. And I wish vigen would explain, but no he better not even mention, why mellot came in as QB while the two other play callers sent in signals from the sideline.
Rovig got us deep in the playoffs in 2019. Don't you think McKay is at least as good as Rovig? or are you saying you'd rather have Rovig starting?

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:06 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:32 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Rovig got us deep in the playoffs in 2019. Don't you think McKay is at least as good as Rovig? or are you saying you'd rather have Rovig starting?
I said I'm not sold on him. Even if you listen to vigens interview, he said it was McKay that mis read the routes, not the receivers. I said he wasn't making 2nd and 3rd reads to pass. Sure Enough, he only targeting one receiver. One receiver and one running back have about 80 % (without looking up the exact number.) Of our offense. He needs to show up and play better this week.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:06 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
I said I'm not sold on him. Even if you listen to vigens interview, he said it was McKay that mis read the routes, not the receivers. I said he wasn't making 2nd and 3rd reads to pass. Sure Enough, he only targeting one receiver. One receiver and one running back have about 80 % (without looking up the exact number.) Of our offense. He needs to show up and play better this week.
His 1st read has been open 90% of the time! You are absolutely off your rocker.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:43 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:31 pm
Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Apparently, if McKay’s first read on some plays, who is also the best WR on the roster, is wide open he should still go through his progressions. Just because. It’s an asinine take and this Bob dude is just trolling at this point.

I’d also like to know where Bob got his information on Vigen blaming McKay in the media.
Last edited by PapaG on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:44 pm

Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

:-k

So far he has been one of the best performing qb’s in the entire fcs.... not sure what more u want out of him...?

Anyway... can’t wait to watch the game. Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:06 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:43 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Apparently, if McKay’s first read on some plays, who is also the best WR on the roster, is wide open he should still go through his progressions. Just because. It’s an asinine take and this Bob dude is just trolling at this point.

I’d also like to know where Bob got his information on Vigen blaming McKay in the media.
In the presser this week Vigen said that the QB/WR had a couple of miscommunications on how they read the defense, he said that Lance was correct on those reads.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:12 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:06 pm
PapaG wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

In the presser this week Vigen said that the QB/WR had a couple of miscommunications on how they read the defense, he said that Lance was correct on those reads.
He did! Matt, is not a finished product, but he is playing very well and should continue to get better. Rovig is a strong back up and is very comfortable in the Offense as much as I can see, so if there's a need, he will step in and do just fine.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:24 pm

cats2506 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

He said they've had some miscommunications this year. He said Lance was correct on the one that ended up being intercepted. He didn't say McKay was the one that misread it every time or even a couple times. Not really miscommunications between two players, but a situation where both players are supposed to read the defense the same way. They players aren't talking to each other, they are supposed to read the defense if they're given the green light to do so. MSU, many teams, have a read element and MSU does that. They don't do it on every play.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:11 pm

Isn’t it a little more difficult for the quarterback because of the lead time needed to anticipate the route and throw the ball? Clever defensive backs can bait the hook pretty well.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:31 pm

Got to remember too, Rovig was groomed under the system he played in, unlike McKay he’s still learning a new system. Also, with this system and with Choate’s, teams never respected Rovig as a runner and Rovig very rarely pulled it down and took off on his reads, which is something you need in a qb for this offense. We can go back and forth on who is a better thrower, but McKay will at least make the defense respect him as a runner, which will open things up for the running and passing game more so than Rovig.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:59 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:24 pm
cats2506 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

He said they've had some miscommunications this year. He said Lance was correct on the one that ended up being intercepted. He didn't say McKay was the one that misread it every time or even a couple times. Not really miscommunications between two players, but a situation where both players are supposed to read the defense the same way. They players aren't talking to each other, they are supposed to read the defense if they're given the green light to do so. MSU, many teams, have a read element and MSU does that. They don't do it on every play.
Also, Vigen wasn't "blaming" McKay in the media. He was describing what happened and pointing out the misread/miscommunications. He's not going to sugarcoat things. He'll let people know when a player is a work in progress and needs to continue developing certain skills.

If McKay isn't very good at moving through reads and throwing to the 2nd/3rd option then the coaches should call more plays where the 1st option is someone besides Lance just to get those other guys involved. It's great that Lance is having a big season so far but is he the primary option because the other guys don't know the routes/can't catch or because he's performed well? We have a lot of "easy" games on the schedule to develop our other WRs in-game and that will make a huge difference come November/December.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:31 am

Here is a crazy thought......

Maybe he is passing to Lance majority of his pass attempts because Lance is open and he catches everything...? :-k

FTG- GO CATS GO!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:47 am

Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
McKay is going to make some mistakes but if you can’t see that we actually have a passing element to our offense that we lacked before then I don’t know what to tell you.

If perfection is your expectation, which QB would you start? It can’t be Bauman or Rovig because they have proven to be far from perfect in years past.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:50 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:47 am
Montanabob wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
McKay is going to make some mistakes but if you can’t see that we actually have a passing element to our offense that we lacked before then I don’t know what to tell you.

If perfection is your expectation, which QB would you start? It can’t be Bauman or Rovig because they have proven to be far from perfect in years past.
I'm my post review, he's only been sold on Beltran so far. :shrug: