BSC QB’s

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: BSC QB’s

Post by coloradocat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:09 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:21 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:11 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:46 pm
Marana CAT wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:04 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm
Marana CAT wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 am
Thanks to ESPN + I have watched every team in the BSC play at least once and most 2-3 games. (Weber, UM, EWU, UC Davis) I feel we just played the #2 QB in the league. If Davis Alexander was playing for a team like Weber lookout. As to date the only better QB in the BSC is Eric Barriere. I am very happy to get out of PSU with a 30-17 win. I honestly believe PSU could win 5-6 conference games this year.

As to date this is how I would rate the BSC QB’s.

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
3. UCD - Rodrigues (injury)
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
I don’t know enough about all the QB’s in the conference to rank them, but I would definitely put McKay ahead of Davis Alexander. Alexander is good, no doubt. But I think McKay has demonstrated he’s a much better passer in their heads up matchup and his only interception was an obvious fluke.
Watch Alexander against Hawaii and Washington State. McKay might be a better passing QB but is it because of his line and run game. I’m not cutting McKay down at all. I believe he will be one of the best QB’s in FCS before he graduates however right now Alexander is playing extremely well for what he has to play with. I think when we look back at this season this win against PSU is going to look a lot better to most of us. Alexander and his WR’s are going to be a difficult matchup for every team they play. Cats have a very good Defense and he pushed them to play at a high level to win. This was a big win on the road.
You may be but I am still not sold as McKay being a QB to get the bobcats deep in the playoffs. He and the receivers aren't on the same page often and I can't believe it is all the receivers fault as we have an offensive coordinator at wr coach. I don't like his accuracy on mid range passes to the side lines, making the receivers jump and stretch to even get close to the ball. Yes he has 1 interception but he has a lot of passes that weren't even close. And I wish vigen would explain, but no he better not even mention, why mellot came in as QB while the two other play callers sent in signals from the sideline.
McKay is #6 in the country in pass efficiency. If he were any better than he is, he’d likely still be at NC State.

Just to be clear, he’s not perfect. But he’s a damn good FCS QB.
If he were better, why isn't he at NC state. I said I don't feel he is an improvement
Oh come on now.

He’s a huge upgrade over 2019. It’s obvious in person. Rovig might also be better than 2019 too but this is a QB that can actually win games over managing wins.
Definitely an upgrade in person. He's slower than he looks and generally seems like a one read QB but he's better than Rovig.

Whenever he takes off I'm expecting him to outrun defenders but it just doesn't happen. He gains positive yardage so mission accomplished but it seems like there should be more there.
Maybe the reason Lance has so many targets is because he's the first read on so many plays. If Housewright calls more plays with some of the other guys as the first option they'll get more targets and/or it'll force McKay to start moving through his reads to get the ball McCutcheon.

Overall I'm happy with where we are at QB through four games but he'll have to keep improving if we want to make back to the semis (and beyond) in December.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:45 pm
PapaG wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Thanks to ESPN + I have watched every team in the BSC play at least once and most 2-3 games. (Weber, UM, EWU, UC Davis) I feel we just played the #2 QB in the league. If Davis Alexander was playing for a team like Weber lookout. As to date the only better QB in the BSC is Eric Barriere. I am very happy to get out of PSU with a 30-17 win. I honestly believe PSU could win 5-6 conference games this year.

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
I don’t know enough about all the QB’s in the conference to rank them, but I would definitely put McKay ahead of Davis Alexander. Alexander is good, no doubt. But I think McKay has demonstrated he’s a much better passer in their heads up matchup and his only interception was an obvious fluke.
Watch Alexander against Hawaii and Washington State. McKay might be a better passing QB but is it because of his line and run game. I’m not cutting McKay down at all. I believe he will be one of the best QB’s in FCS before he graduates however right now Alexander is playing extremely well for what he has to play with. I think when we look back at this season this win against PSU is going to look a lot better to most of us. Alexander and his WR’s are going to be a difficult matchup for every team they play. Cats have a very good Defense and he pushed them to play at a high level to win. This was a big win on the road.
You may be but I am still not sold as McKay being a QB to get the bobcats deep in the playoffs. He and the receivers aren't on the same page often and I can't believe it is all the receivers fault as we have an offensive coordinator at wr coach. I don't like his accuracy on mid range passes to the side lines, making the receivers jump and stretch to even get close to the ball. Yes he has 1 interception but he has a lot of passes that weren't even close. And I wish vigen would explain, but no he better not even mention, why mellot came in as QB while the two other play callers sent in signals from the sideline.
McKay is #6 in the country in pass efficiency. If he were any better than he is, he’d likely still be at NC State.

If he were better, why isn't he at NC state. I said I don't feel he is an improvement
Oh come on now.

He’s a huge upgrade over 2019. It’s obvious in person. Rovig might also be better than 2019 too but this is a QB that can actually win games over managing wins.
I don't think he will be starting for the playoffs.
Wow. I think many people on here will agree with me when I say I think you're mad. As in gone mad...

McKay is the best QB MSU has had since Prukop, hands down.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:32 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:46 pm
technoCat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:16 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am
Alexander is a stud and a good athlete, but I don’t think he’s a very good QB. He makes a lot of flashy plays, but was not even average after the first quarter yesterday. There are a lot of QBs like that around college football.
Go watch the 3rd quarter tape again. On their TD drive he was magic. Even on their last drive he made some crazy plays right up until the end. Just no wasted movement around the pocket and kept his eyes downfield.
That's not what I look for in a good QB. You need to make plays when it matters. He doesn't do that. He fumbled the ball away deep in MSU territory. Kirk Cousins is a perfect example of this. Makes all the plays for three quarters, then everything usually goes south in the fourth. He currently has the Vikings up 21-17 at halftime and has thrown 3 TDs, 16-20-0, 185 yards. Lets see how he does today in the fourth. I'm guessing 4-9-1, 33 yards, 0 TDs, fumble, sacked twice.

McKay started the game 3-6-1, 42 yards 0 TDs; Alexander started 9-12-0, 135 yards, TD.
McKay finished the game 11-15-0, 183 yards, 2 TDs; Alexander finished the game 9-20-1, 130 yards 0 TDs
I must've anti-jinxed Cousins. Not only do they win, but by the exact same score as MSU-PSU. \:D/

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 pm

I'm not saying McKay isn't a good QB. He's the best we've had since Prukop at passing, but I guess we're used to more athletic running QB's.

2024 Resume dominance

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:27 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:22 pm
I'm very happy with Matt. Davis played a smart game, got people to bite then hit receivers. He can keep a drive alive, scrambling got numerous first downs. They really could not protect him as the game progressed.
They couldn’t protect him because we actually started sending pressure!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:41 pm

Montanabob wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey

I am starting to wonder if you are even a Bobcat fan. Do you ever post anything positive, specifically with our QB position? Weren’t you the guy who wanted to see our 3rd string QB play in 2018 who is now the 3rd string QB at Drake?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 pm
I'm not saying McKay isn't a good QB. He's the best we've had since Prukop at passing, but I guess we're used to more athletic running QB's.
Athletic running QBs like Tucker Rovig and Casey Baumann. Tucker is basically 4th-string now after being the 2019 starting QB against NDSU in the semifinals. The QB has been massively upgraded and nobody in the program would say otherwise.

OK.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:49 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 pm
Athletic running QBs like Tucker Rovig and Casey Baumann. Tucker is basically 4th-string now after being the 2019 starting QB against NDSU in the semifinals. The QB has been massively upgraded and nobody in the program would say otherwise.

OK.
Tucker was a damn fine QB down the stretch un2018. He posted off the chart efficiency numbers..,on par with Eric Barriere, who is a Walter Payton shortlister.

McKay is better than Rovig…a marginally better passer, but much better running the ball.

McKays old team just beat Clemson…

We should be very happy that McKay landed here. He’s a great pick up for this team.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:52 pm

This.

1000x over.

Even if Matt McKay were an elite runner, why do you want him running if he can average 10.7 yards per pass attempt?

This is a new QB -playing for a new coach in a new offense - that just put 30 points up on a solid conference opponent in the fourth game of the season. By comparison, the UM offense just "dropped" 17 points on Cal Poly...at home.

This offense is built to win playoff games. It pokes and prods until it finds weaknesses and then it exploits them over and over again. As others mentioned earlier in this thread, it's best to judge the QB (and the offense) by the end result, not the early returns. In the last 22 plays of this game (excluding the penalty and kneeldown at the end), the offense moved the ball 217 yards and scored 21 points. In those four possessions, McKay was 6/6 for 95 yards and 2 TD.
PapaG wrote:

OK.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:15 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:52 pm
As others mentioned earlier in this thread, it's best to judge the QB (and the offense) by the end result, not the early returns. In the last 22 plays of this game (excluding the penalty and kneeldown at the end), the offense moved the ball 217 yards and scored 21 points. In those four possessions, McKay was 6/6 for 95 yards and 2 TD.

nice

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:11 am

TomCat88 wrote:
How do you get the replay on ESPN+? Step by step instructions for a small child, please.
It depends on how you watch.

I use a PS4 with the Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ pkg.

For me I open Hulu, go SPORTS and search for MONTANA STATE Football. It will try to force you to dumb but be persistent.

Add the “team” to “your stuff” and you will see the games they have available.

You can also watch the VB team beat the griz from last week. Just search for MSU volleyball.

Should be the same process on a PC. Search for the team by name, ignoring ESPNs need to push dumb, and add them to your list.

Hope it helps.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:16 am

coochorama42 wrote:
As others mentioned earlier in this thread, it's best to judge the QB (and the offense) by the end result, not the early returns. In the last 22 plays of this game (excluding the penalty and kneeldown at the end), the offense moved the ball 217 yards and scored 21 points. In those four possessions, McKay was 6/6 for 95 yards and 2 TD.

MIC Drop :D

You have to give the offense credit for adjusting and responding very well on the road. They do not see the flex D in practice so all the looks and timing were different. Teams struggle against that all the time. It was nice to see them not panic and make adjustments at halftime. We ran the ball into a 9 man front and were gaining 5+ yards a pop. Very clutch/business like WIN by this team on the road.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:42 am

I like what I see from McKay. He had a tough time on his RPO’s in first half vs PSU but adjusted. I believe that style of D is hard on RPO offenses. Probably why they use it. He has been efficient and I expect him to improve on that.

I’ve said it before, we have two sets of QB’s. Mobile and non. I think Tommy is the number two in most cases now, as we saw this week. Can’t have two playbooks.

Our QB depth is a good problem to have. I’d put him at 2 or 3 in BSC. EWu kid and Alexander are tough to not have as 1 & 2 but McKay will get there in time.

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 am

coochorama42 wrote:
This.

1000x over.

Even if Matt McKay were an elite runner, why do you want him running if he can average 10.7 yards per pass attempt?

This is a new QB -playing for a new coach in a new offense - that just put 30 points up on a solid conference opponent in the fourth game of the season. By comparison, the UM offense just "dropped" 17 points on Cal Poly...at home.

This offense is built to win playoff games. It pokes and prods until it finds weaknesses and then it exploits them over and over again. As others mentioned earlier in this thread, it's best to judge the QB (and the offense) by the end result, not the early returns. In the last 22 plays of this game (excluding the penalty and kneeldown at the end), the offense moved the ball 217 yards and scored 21 points. In those four possessions, McKay was 6/6 for 95 yards and 2 TD.
PapaG wrote:

OK.
Sanity intervenes. Great analyses.

One bad flag from 4-0 but apparently we can rest assured that we have enough love seat coaches to keep Vigen/Housewright in line...especially those ranting about running Ifanse too much when he is averaging over 7 per...217 is the most in the Big Sky and 2nd in FCS this year.

We have one of the best RBs in FCS, a very strong left side of the OL, and big TEs. I'm sure both Vigen and Housewright know this as well.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 am
coochorama42 wrote:
This.

1000x over.

PapaG wrote:

OK.
Sanity intervenes. Great analyses.

One bad flag from 4-0 but apparently we can rest assured that we have enough love seat coaches to keep Vigen/Housewright in line...especially those ranting about running Ifanse too much when he is averaging over 7 per...217 is the most in the Big Sky and 2nd in FCS this year.

We have one of the best RBs in FCS, a very strong left side of the OL, and big TEs. I'm sure both Vigen and Housewright know this as well.
Idk if I missed something above but I know I said in the past that I’ve been surprised by only seeing Ifanse running the ball this year for the vast majority of the games so far. But that was just in reference to us having such good depth at the RB position and that I thought we’d try and keep him relatively fresh for later in games and in the season, and keep him from getting more banged up than need be. I just figured we’d look more like NDSU in that we’d have 2-3 RBs getting 10 plus touches a game.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:13 pm
I was so impressed with Davis Alexander in person. Extended so many plays and throws a nice ball, too. Holding them to 17 points was a good effort by the defense. Plus MSU could have easily punched in one more TD that last drive .

Side note, I sat by Elijah Elliott’s family in the family section and there were at least 10 of them going as bonkers as all of us. Really good people.
I completely agree. Alexander is a gritty competitor and threw some dimes on the run. I do think Alexander is a better passer at this point than McKay but ultimately I think Mckay will have the better season.
Didn't Vigen say he played Mellot so that other teams would have to spend time preparing for him in the presser?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:20 am

Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
So just to keep up here, you're not happy with our starting qb, not impressed with his low interceptions because he chooses to throw the ball away, and not impressed with our rushing attack as we sometimes only get back to the line of scrimmage? And our rushing numbers aren't good if you take away all the long runs?

Does that about sum it up?

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:34 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:20 am
Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
So just to keep up here, you're not happy with our starting qb, not impressed with his low interceptions because he chooses to throw the ball away, and not impressed with our rushing attack as we sometimes only get back to the line of scrimmage? And our rushing numbers aren't good if you take away all the long runs?

Does that about sum it up?
You forgot that if Beltran would’ve gotten a chance, he would have been the best guy. 3rd string at Drake

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:05 am

It is interesting and maybe a bit mystifying how the Cats have McKay at all. In 2019 he came in as North Carolina State's starting quarterback.
Game 1 vs. East Carolina went 25-37-308, 1 TD, 0 int and wins with 34 points.
Game 2 vs. West Carolina 18-28-200, 1, 0 and wins with 28 points.
Game 3 vs. West Virginia 23-48-207-1-0 L-27
Game 4 vs. Ball State 17-30-175-0-1 W-34
The next week NC State coach announces he is making a change at QB, needs someone more productive. The first four were the easiest
part of the schedule. Seven to go. However.....they go 1-6 and average 16.6 ppg the rest of the way. McKay never sees the field.
But, it's 2021, Montana State with McKay are 3-1, North Carolina State is 3-1 without him. Win-Win!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 am

FYI wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:05 am
It is interesting and maybe a bit mystifying how the Cats have McKay at all. In 2019 he came in as North Carolina State's starting quarterback.
Game 1 vs. East Carolina went 25-37-308, 1 TD, 0 int and wins with 34 points.
Game 2 vs. West Carolina 18-28-200, 1, 0 and wins with 28 points.
Game 3 vs. West Virginia 23-48-207-1-0 L-27
Game 4 vs. Ball State 17-30-175-0-1 W-34
The next week NC State coach announces he is making a change at QB, needs someone more productive. The first four were the easiest
part of the schedule. Seven to go. However.....they go 1-6 and average 16.6 ppg the rest of the way. McKay never sees the field.
But, it's 2021, Montana State with McKay are 3-1, North Carolina State is 3-1 without him. Win-Win!
Wasn't Ryan Finley still there in 2019?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!