Good, Bad, Ugly - PSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Good, Bad, Ugly - PSU

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:38 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:32 pm
Great points. I’d flip my priorities and say the names being mispronounced, mixed up or not said is inexcusable for his profession. He needs a better spotter! I was wondering what his booth was like, because you could hear Dan yelling up to them over the radio. On the positive, he has a great voice.
I wouldn't argue with you much on the flip and yes he has a good voice.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:49 pm

This is also his first year doing play by play for the Cats. I’m sure he will improve.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm

On a day in which we were finding g our way against PSU:

GOOD: U C Davis
BAD: Arizona...to have been beaten by what NAU looked like against UNC.
UGLY: Bobby Hauck...nuff said!

2024 Resume dominance

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:02 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:06 am
Ugly: The dang unsportsmanlike penalties. Either the refs had it in for us or we really lack discipline. Penalties like this will get us
beat in a close game. Typically, you get offsetting penalties. It's hard for me to believe that it was ONLY the Cats so maybe it was
the refs. Anyway, come on guys, be disciplined. If you get mad then fine, take it out on the opponent by blocking/tackling harder
on the next play. GO CATS!
I didn't recognize this reffing crew, is it a new BSC crew?
I really questioned a few of the calls but really couldnt see much on replay. They didn't mess up near as bad as the crew reffing the Weber game though. That crew gave the game to USD on 2 bad calls, either of which would have changed the outcome most likely.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:05 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:36 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:00 am
Good: The weather. The Bobcat fan turnout at the game. A road win. Road wins should always be cherished, revered, held in the highest esteem-no matter how ugly they might sometimes be.

Bad: Trailing at the half and giving the lead back after taking it in the 3rd quarter. I will say this-Davis Alexander, who I think took over as their quarterback shortly after Neal Lomax graduated from PSU, is a magician. It took us 4 quarters but we finally figured him out. The kid had been there forever and he is a great competitor.

Ugly: PSU's need for a venue in their own City. Playing in Hillsboro is like us playing in Livingston-in a whole different county! That being said, it looked like PSU had quite a bit bigger following than they had during Barney Beer Day last week-not a huge crowd but better. If they are going to keep playing in Hillsboro-they sure could use a video board.
The stadium in Hillsboro is a huge drawback for PSU. I drove from Vancouver (23 miles) and it took 2 hours due to a crash on I-405. It's a hassle to get to unless you're on the west side of Portland. Providence Park was much more convenient. Hope the PSU administration can figure out something for downtown. PSU has a practice field right next to the Stott center that might be a candidate, but it's pretty crammed in.
What's a more realistic solution to the problem: building a stadium/converting practice field into stadium or dropping football?
I really hope PSU can keep their football program going. But from the outside looking in it doesn’t look sustainable. I thought they had an okay crowd but the announced attendance was only a little over 4,000. I would guess 1/3 were Bobcat fans.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:37 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:02 pm
aucat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:06 am
Ugly: The dang unsportsmanlike penalties. Either the refs had it in for us or we really lack discipline. Penalties like this will get us
beat in a close game. Typically, you get offsetting penalties. It's hard for me to believe that it was ONLY the Cats so maybe it was
the refs. Anyway, come on guys, be disciplined. If you get mad then fine, take it out on the opponent by blocking/tackling harder
on the next play. GO CATS!
I didn't recognize this reffing crew, is it a new BSC crew?
I really questioned a few of the calls but really couldnt see much on replay. They didn't mess up near as bad as the crew reffing the Weber game though. That crew gave the game to USD on 2 bad calls, either of which would have changed the outcome most likely.
I work in the Billings Officials pool with a retired BSC guy. I've been asking him about our officials because I frankly think they are awful game in and game out. Some of the crew was new yes. The umpire is brand new to D1 football and is being groomed to be a Referee (he also did the Drake game with a different crew). There is a number of new Side, Back and Down Judges in the BSC as well, including at least one in our game yesterday.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:13 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm

And then Arizona went into Eugene & looked close to knocking off the Ducks.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:45 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:13 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm

And then Arizona went into Eugene & looked close to knocking off the Ducks.
Yeah. I guess ya never know...

2024 Resume dominance

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:17 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:05 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:36 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:00 am
Good: The weather. The Bobcat fan turnout at the game. A road win. Road wins should always be cherished, revered, held in the highest esteem-no matter how ugly they might sometimes be.

Bad: Trailing at the half and giving the lead back after taking it in the 3rd quarter. I will say this-Davis Alexander, who I think took over as their quarterback shortly after Neal Lomax graduated from PSU, is a magician. It took us 4 quarters but we finally figured him out. The kid had been there forever and he is a great competitor.

Ugly: PSU's need for a venue in their own City. Playing in Hillsboro is like us playing in Livingston-in a whole different county! That being said, it looked like PSU had quite a bit bigger following than they had during Barney Beer Day last week-not a huge crowd but better. If they are going to keep playing in Hillsboro-they sure could use a video board.
The stadium in Hillsboro is a huge drawback for PSU. I drove from Vancouver (23 miles) and it took 2 hours due to a crash on I-405. It's a hassle to get to unless you're on the west side of Portland. Providence Park was much more convenient. Hope the PSU administration can figure out something for downtown. PSU has a practice field right next to the Stott center that might be a candidate, but it's pretty crammed in.
What's a more realistic solution to the problem: building a stadium/converting practice field into stadium or dropping football?
I really hope PSU can keep their football program going. But from the outside looking in it doesn’t look sustainable. I thought they had an okay crowd but the announced attendance was only a little over 4,000. I would guess 1/3 were Bobcat fans.
It seemed like more than 4000 but ball don’t lie. There were at the very least 1/3 MSU fans. All three MSU sections sold out by game time and it was loud once the Bobcats showed up after a lethargic first half for both the teams and fans.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:24 pm
I pretty much agree with most of the good, bad, and ugly that has been posted above and will add one more in the bad or ugly.
The play by play call by our voice of the Bobcats was at least bad if not ugly!
Since he arrived it has been apparent that he needed improvement and I've waited patiently for improvement but his call of the games has not made much if any improvement. I could just bitch about it here and in the game day thread but today at lunch I decided I would contact him with my concerns. Right or wrong I'll share here the meat of what I sent him.

I listened to your call of the Cat-viking game and to say the least I was very disappointed with your work. As a radio broadcaster it is imperative that you paint the picture of the action with words that enable the listener to see in their mind what is happening. I noticed that you very rarely gave the name of the player making the tackle so I was left without a picture in my mind of who was making those tackles. I began tracking this on paper in the second half and out of 45 plays where there was a tackle or forced out of bounds you named a total of 2 Viking players and 8 Cat players who made those tackles or forced OBs. That left me the listener with 35 plays where I was blind as to who made the defensive play. If you don't believe me just go back and listen to yourself in the 2nd half and see just how often you are left in the dark as to who made the tackle. This is completely unacceptable and you need to improve drastically and immediately. Also annoying though a smaller issue is how often you get our own players names wrong.

Honestly that's just the tip of the iceberg of what needs improvement on his play by play call.
THIS! =D^

I preface my AMEN here with a caveat that he sure seems like a nice kid and enjoys his job...BUT...

I've not had the privilege of watching any of the games and am relegated to listening to the audio stream in real time. I will give anybody lots of slack to make mistakes, but his in game call of the action is so frustrating. I can't tell what did or did not happen. He seems enamored with his voice and exaggerates with tone and volume at the exact wrong time. For example. On a Ifanse run he called it this way. ( I think it was 2nd and 8 )

"It's a handoff to Ifanse who has a NICE RUN TO THE OUTSIDE....(pause) he picked up two yards on the play to the 35 yard line." :lol:

This may sound picky, but I thought Isaiah had broken through the line, carrying two defenders on his back, juked the LB's and was racing down the sidelines out pacing the DB's for a huge gain. Nope, 2 yards!!!!!!!!!!! :?

He does not paint a good picture of what is happening, does misspeak often, calls a "SACK" on the TFL on a RB, is too cute and inflection on his voice doesn't line up with reality. 2 yards!!!!!!! :D

An entire game of that leaves me apoplectic...

But, I'm glad we have him...but I sure miss Dean Alexander!

2005Grad
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2005Grad » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
I pretty much agree with most of the good, bad, and ugly that has been posted above and will add one more in the bad or ugly.
Since he arrived it has been apparent that he needed improvement and I've waited patiently for improvement but his call of the games has not made much if any improvement. I could just bitch about it here and in the game day thread but today at lunch I decided I would contact him with my concerns. Right or wrong I'll share here the meat of what I sent him.

I listened to your call of the Cat-viking game and to say the least I was very disappointed with your work. As a radio broadcaster it is imperative that you paint the picture of the action with words that enable the listener to see in their mind what is happening. I noticed that you very rarely gave the name of the player making the tackle so I was left without a picture in my mind of who was making those tackles. I began tracking this on paper in the second half and out of 45 plays where there was a tackle or forced out of bounds you named a total of 2 Viking players and 8 Cat players who made those tackles or forced OBs. That left me the listener with 35 plays where I was blind as to who made the defensive play. If you don't believe me just go back and listen to yourself in the 2nd half and see just how often you are left in the dark as to who made the tackle. This is completely unacceptable and you need to improve drastically and immediately. Also annoying though a smaller issue is how often you get our own players names wrong.

Honestly that's just the tip of the iceberg of what needs improvement on his play by play call.
=D^
Last edited by 2005Grad on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat-Griz Saturday is my favorite day of the year.

2005Grad
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2005Grad » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 pm

I would also add to the ugly Coy Steel's injury.
Last edited by 2005Grad on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2005Grad
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2005Grad » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:56 pm

2005Grad wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 pm
2005Grad wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:

I agree. The radio used to be 100x better than the t.v. and now (outside of Dan D) it is not good at all. Is there any way we can steal Riley Corcoran because he does a great job.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:52 pm

Good wildcat was new look, more explosive plays, last 3 quarters defense

Bad. First quarter d, losing contain, early play calling,

Ugly. Penalties,.

Hopefully someone at game can expand on those as none were shown on broadcast

Sports is not bigger than life

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:37 pm

Good: I am surprised somebody didn’t mention this already but the approximately four minute drive to end the game was very impressive! Drag them into the fourth quarter and then steal their soul. That’s exactly what we did on that final drive!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:41 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:37 pm
Good: I am surprised somebody didn’t mention this already but the approximately four minute drive to end the game was very impressive! Drag them into the fourth quarter and then steal their soul. That’s exactly what we did on that final drive!

+1

That was a great way to close out the game

FTG- GO CATS GO!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:50 pm

Good:
I was at the game (also enjoyed two Carroll College women's soccer games over the weekend)
Alumni Association Tailgate
Meeting the parents of long snapper Tommy Sullivan and punter Bryce Leighton
Ifanse being Ifanse
McCutcheon continuing to be a VERY dangerous receiver
The D snuffing the very dangerous Alexander on consecutive plays to end PSU's last meaningful drive
PSU sells beer - and you can take it to your seat!
Kicker Blake Glessner is legit.

Bad:
PSU's "facility"

Ugly:
PSU's "facility"

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:10 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:

THIS! =D^

I preface my AMEN here with a caveat that he sure seems like a nice kid and enjoys his job...BUT...

I've not had the privilege of watching any of the games and am relegated to listening to the audio stream in real time. I will give anybody lots of slack to make mistakes, but his in game call of the action is so frustrating. I can't tell what did or did not happen. He seems enamored with his voice and exaggerates with tone and volume at the exact wrong time. For example. On a Ifanse run he called it this way. ( I think it was 2nd and 8 )

"It's a handoff to Ifanse who has a NICE RUN TO THE OUTSIDE....(pause) he picked up two yards on the play to the 35 yard line." :lol:

This may sound picky, but I thought Isaiah had broken through the line, carrying two defenders on his back, juked the LB's and was racing down the sidelines out pacing the DB's for a huge gain. Nope, 2 yards!!!!!!!!!!! :?

He does not paint a good picture of what is happening, does misspeak often, calls a "SACK" on the TFL on a RB, is too cute and inflection on his voice doesn't line up with reality. 2 yards!!!!!!! :D

I might be misremembering but isn't he the basketball announcer? I believe he originally had that job and then they added football to his duties (when the last guy left/got fired?). Maybe he isn't really cut out for announcing football but it's not in the school's financial interest to find someone actually good.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:10 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:25 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:

THIS! =D^

I might be misremembering but isn't he the basketball announcer? I believe he originally had that job and then they added football to his duties (when the last guy left/got fired?). Maybe he isn't really cut out for announcing football but it's not in the school's financial interest to find someone actually good.
Jason Alvine moved on to UNC. He was the last football play by play guy. This is Zach Mackeys first year as a football play by play announcer. I think we can all give him a chance to get better.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:43 pm

I personally didn’t care for Alvine’s play by play. I’ve listened to Mackey’s basketball and enjoy it. Once they get a few more games and maybe a get him a good spotter, things should get better.