Home Field Advantage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Home Field Advantage

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:32 am

I have to admit I've even watched the games a little differently so far. Maybe it's because they're not close games, maybe it's because it's early in the season, maybe I'm just excited to be back. I'm just having fun right now, and I'm noticing when I re-watch the games that there's a lot I'm missing the first time around--more than usual. I'm engaged in the game, but I've gotten caught up a little bit in the social event. I know I'm not alone, although I might be the only one admitting it. I can only imagine that the more casual fans and the even drunker fans are doing the same early on. I think we'll be much more into the games as they get more meaningful. I know it shouldn't be that way but I think that's a big part of it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:41 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:25 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 am
All I know is the student section looks way more fun than it was when I was in school in the early-mid 2000s.
Yep. Students are awesome so far and I hope that continues when the weather turns. If they keep showing up in full force, and the trade off is occasionally doing a wave when we're on offense....I'll start the wave myself. :wink:
Well, yeah. I guess I don’t see why it can’t be both? When I was a student, we were loud the entire game and still quiet when we had the ball. I didn’t think this would be super difficult, or controversial, but I guess it is. My bad.
Not difficult or controversial at all. But I don't think you're speaking to the correct audience on this board. We had 19,000 fans Saturday watching a bloodbath. Of those this board probably makes up a fraction of a percent. Of that percent I'd be surprised if almost any here were students.

It's not a new concept that home fans should be quiet when our team is on offense. And I maintain that even the wave was quiet and certainly shouldn't have been a distraction. And if this is something you're passionate about, I think there are ways you can reach the students. Hell, pass out flyers when they enter the game. But you're dealing with a lot of people. You're talking about young people and dare I say maybe even drunk people. The odds of you getting everyone in there completely silent when we have the ball are about zero.

If they were up and yelling and screaming regularly when we were on offense I'd pass out flyers with you. I just didn't see the situation the same as you which is ok too!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:56 am

Always hated the wave as it rolls on even if something bad for the home team happens on the field. But this is much ado about nothing.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 am

I agree with the poster who said this was an incredibly stupid thread, but it sure is nice to finally have our stupid threads about football. :thumbup:

Again from my POV, having a 35-0 lead and nitpicking noise timing is dumb, particularly when I genuinely remember making a mental note that even the students were silent on our opening offensive series. Our fanbase does NOT need this lecture. At all

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:28 am

CelticCat wrote:
All I know is the student section looks way more fun than it was when I was in school in the early-mid 2000s.
I was in Schnee's on Friday and the kid helping me said student tickets "sell out" in less than half an hour these days. They are really hard to get so I think that helps bring in students that are really into the game/festivities.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:34 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:28 am
CelticCat wrote:
I was in Schnee's on Friday and the kid helping me said student tickets "sell out" in less than half an hour these days. They are really hard to get so I think that helps bring in students that are really into the game/festivities.
I had heard this as well. If the game is not a sellout by Friday at noon, why don’t they release the remaining tickets to students. It would be a great way to fill the stadium every game.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:47 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:34 am
coloradocat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I had heard this as well. If the game is not a sellout by Friday at noon, why don’t they release the remaining tickets to students. It would be a great way to fill the stadium every game.
Yeah, or at least offer them for $10. I'm sure a ton of students who didn't hit refresh fast enough earlier in the week would pay that.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:59 am

I guess we could deputize some fun police and have them go around and shut down any unnecessary cheering and especially those wave instigators.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Team10

Post by Team10 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:46 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:47 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:34 am
coloradocat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Yeah, or at least offer them for $10. I'm sure a ton of students who didn't hit refresh fast enough earlier in the week would pay that.
What's really disappointing is the actual number of students that show up that secured a ticket. This was back when Fields was the AD, but they would issue (I dont remember exact numbers) 5000 student tickets for the 3500 student seat capacity that would all be spoken for and still the student section would not be full.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:07 am

I'm sure the students who started the wave will get right on joining this message board (does anyone under 30 know what a message board is?) full of old dudes complaining about gameday music and electronic tickets, and start waving and cheering at more appropriate times immediately.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:33 am

I wasn't there, but speaking as a former quarterback...quiet is best by a bunch. The defense gets a little advantage because they might be making adjustment calls.
Seahawk fans are so committed to making noise it's only deafening when the offense has the ball, and off the Richter Scale when the other guys do.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:41 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:04 pm
A lot of the same people mocking this thread would be royally ticked if the offense had a false start, delay of game, or screwed up a play call on offense in a tight game, at home, because people were being loud.

If fans want to make their home field advantage as effectively as possible, they should think about this stuff.
True, but it wasn't THAT loud. If the Bobcats got a false start from that noise level, I'd be concerned with them more than the crowd noise. That said, I do think the crowd will get a little more focused on the game as the season goes on and less focused on just being happy to be in the stadium.
This!! No way a little wave noise would have had ANY impact.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Helenabobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Helenabobcat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 pm

:lol:
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:07 am
I'm sure the students who started the wave will get right on joining this message board (does anyone under 30 know what a message board is?) full of old dudes complaining about gameday music and electronic tickets, and start waving and cheering at more appropriate times immediately.
:lol:

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 pm

Sooner or later our offense will encounter fan noise in an away stadium. What better time to prepare for that than when ahead by 35 and in your own stadium. I know they practice with piped in noise, but is it the same as live noise? Just a couple thoughts for your consideration. Just for the record, I yell when the Cats are on defense and am quiet when on offense.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:02 am

You can see the wave in the background at 0:48 when McKay is getting ready pre-snap.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:53 pm

Did I once again see the Bobcats players urging the hometown fans to be quiet as the fans once again tried to start the wave when we’re on offense?

Buncha idiots.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:00 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:53 pm
Did I once again see the Bobcats players urging the hometown fans to be quiet as the fans once again tried to start the wave when we’re on offense?

Buncha idiots.
Sure did! The student section isn't the smartest bunch. They were chanting Tommy loudly at one point going into that EZ too while we were driving.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:01 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:53 pm

Buncha idiots.
At the game and agreed! That said it started in the student section and failed to take after a few tries.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

bobcatozzy

Post by bobcatozzy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:06 pm

It's the college kids in the end zone trying to start the wave.

Rest In peace dad.

weirdolocalthatlikesbozonow
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by weirdolocalthatlikesbozonow » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:30 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:25 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 am
CelticCat wrote:
Yep. Students are awesome so far and I hope that continues when the weather turns. If they keep showing up in full force, and the trade off is occasionally doing a wave when we're on offense....I'll start the wave myself. :wink:
Well, yeah. I guess I don’t see why it can’t be both? When I was a student, we were loud the entire game and still quiet when we had the ball. I didn’t think this would be super difficult, or controversial, but I guess it is. My bad.
Just 19, 20, 21 yo kids having fun. If it ever becomes cold we'll see how many of them are actually born and raised fans.