Night home games

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Night home games

Post by MTnative » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:31 pm

WHY are teams like SUU, EWU, and Sac St getting night home games while MSU gets ONE non-conference night home game? MSU has a superior facility and gameday experience that would only enhance the image of the BSC with a night TV broadcast.

Those stadium lights need to be used alot more for home games.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Night home games

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:38 pm

Add to those the 8:00 PM game we play at Weber on Oct 15.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

MSUBRONCO
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUBRONCO » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Agree need night home games

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:00 pm

Other than the root and espnu games I’m pretty sure it’s up to MSU on when they want to schedule. I don’t think swx is dictating game times, but I could be wrong.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Helenabobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Helenabobcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:45 am

I think we should have another night game, have everyone wear blue and call it "The Dark Night."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:56 am

As someone who has a few hours of travel each way to get to a Bobcat game, I'm pretty happy about the mostly afternoon start times and being able to have dinner after the game and still get home at a reasonable hour. Especially given what hotel prices in Bozeman are like these days. :shock:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:58 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:56 am
As someone who has a few hours of travel each way to get to a Bobcat game, I'm pretty happy about the mostly afternoon start times and being able to have dinner after the game and still get home at a reasonable hour. Especially given what hotel prices in Bozeman are like these days. :shock:
This is true. I think for the most part that day games work for almost everyone, but night games don't work for a lot of people.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:59 am

I love the night home games, but I am wondering if it actually hurts attendance with the travel issues for some. Gold Rush is arguably the best non-CatGriz game for attendance and it was 19,797 for the night game. This weekends afternoon game against lowly San Diego was 19,107.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 am

MSU01 wrote:
This may be the reason but I am not sure why people would not make the trip if the game started a few hours later. Afterall, the games are on Sat not Sun. But then I come from Minneapolis so that may be why I don't get it. Maybe the students would not come at night??

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:05 am

I don't mind night home games if they occur early in the year. Gold Rush was perfect for a night game and the San Diego game would also have been perfect. But the long drive home on dicey winter roads after the playoff games had me a tad nervous.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 am

gtapp wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 am
MSU01 wrote:
This may be the reason but I am not sure why people would not make the trip if the game started a few hours later. Afterall, the games are on Sat not Sun. But then I come from Minneapolis so that may be why I don't get it. Maybe the students would not come at night??
I think the concern about night games & students is less about attendance and more about "excessive celebration".

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:50 am

Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:05 am
I don't mind night home games if they occur early in the year. Gold Rush was perfect for a night game and the San Diego game would also have been perfect. But the long drive home on dicey winter roads after the playoff games had me a tad nervous.
I've always said every game before October should be at night.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:09 am

Hear yee, hear yee... College football should be played outside on Saturday afternoon. This my friends is a basic principal of life. As with any life principal it can be overlooked or overridden at times for good reason but should never be abandoned wholesale. Gold Rush is awesome, a night playoff game for TV coverage is OK. Other than these limited exceptions college football is a day game! I hereby proclaim that's just the way it is and should always be!! \:D/

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 am

MSU01 wrote:
Second this. I don't care for if you can dodge a deer you can dodge a ball time.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:52 am

I'm sure the earlier start times have a lot to do with travel for a lot of Bobcat fans. I did manage to book hotel rooms for Gold Rush because I didn't want to drive back at night (yes, I've also almost took out multiple deer at night) but I don't want to pay those exorbitant room prices for every single home game. I have to book multiple rooms too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:07 pm

I can tell you as somebody who works for a Mountain West School that has almost all night games, they might be the most hated thing the fanbase talks about. Total mess for people traveling from out of town. People don't want to bring their kids cause games end so late. MSU is so fortunate to have day games, one night game a season is plenty.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:27 pm

I enjoy the night games, but especially with kids it's rough getting home so late at night.
On the other side, our kids Small fry football games start at 11 here in Helena - so the 1pm games are impossible for us to see the start of. We got to Bozeman at halftime on Sat. With small fry playoffs, this could go all the way up to the 3rd wk of October. So I would be a fan of a few 3pm games earlier in the year. But that's just my opinion...there are bigger fish to fry (than small fry) :-)

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:35 pm

It seems foolish to spend all that money to equip our stadium with lights to not have night games.

More night games, please and thanks.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Night games early in the season are good, late season not so much. I agree with having to travel back home after the game at night isn't the best. And with the cost of motel rooms in Bozeman now more fans feel like they have to drive home after games.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:52 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:35 pm
It seems foolish to spend all that money to equip our stadium with lights to not have night games.

More night games, please and thanks.
The lights are on any time there is a TV broadcast. The lights were not installed just for night games. I have been told multiple times that the lights were a request for daytime TV broadcast as well....the lights improve the picture even for day games.