Troy Freaking Andersen!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Troy Freaking Andersen!

Post by Cledus » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:41 am

Travelingcat wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:01 pm
Candidly Pro Football Focus grades for Troy this year, were not very good at all, but subjectively he seemed to play better than his grades, and the fact that he moved into the starting lineup means coaches were clearly pleased with his performance overall.

He struggled most in pass coverage, which, given his athleticism, should be a strength of his as he learns to recognize more quickly.
I wonder how they reconcile their grade with the fact the organization that pays Andersen elevated him to starter.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:41 am
Travelingcat wrote:
Candidly Pro Football Focus grades for Troy this year, were not very good at all, but subjectively he seemed to play better than his grades, and the fact that he moved into the starting lineup means coaches were clearly pleased with his performance overall.

He struggled most in pass coverage, which, given his athleticism, should be a strength of his as he learns to recognize more quickly.
I wonder how they reconcile their grade with the fact the organization that pays Andersen elevated him to starter.
I think it reconciles just fine. We all knew going in that Troy was less experienced at his position than most rookies and would need some time to learn how to play LB in the NFL. Atlanta knew this too, but once they fell out of playoff contention there was no reason not to put him in there.

Based on what I saw he's going to be a very very good NFL player, but the improvement will be slow and gradual on the way there.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 am
Cledus wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

I think it reconciles just fine. We all knew going in that Troy was less experienced at his position than most rookies and would need some time to learn how to play LB in the NFL. Atlanta knew this too, but once they fell out of playoff contention there was no reason not to put him in there.

Based on what I saw he's going to be a very very good NFL player, but the improvement will be slow and gradual on the way there.
PFF appears to have him ranked 34th. Not bad. Singleton is fourth. Incredibly good.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

PFF appears to have him ranked 34th. Not bad. Singleton is fourth. Incredibly good.
It took Alex 5 years to learn how to play ILB at an elite level. Let’s all give Troy a year or two and hopefully he stays healthy. That franchise is a bit of a joke now and Ridder isn’t good as a QB.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:25 pm

Whatever happened to: “NFL Players with Montana Ties”. It was a weekly thing in Lee Newspapers back when UM had a handful of players in there. Tripp, Coyle, Anderson, Johnson, Carpenter, Bierman. Dean Edwards was on the list. Mike Person. Not sure who else. Oh, Osweiller.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:34 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:25 pm
Whatever happened to: “NFL Players with Montana Ties”. It was a weekly thing in Lee Newspapers back when UM had a handful of players in there. Tripp, Coyle, Anderson, Johnson, Carpenter, Bierman. Dean Edwards was on the list. Mike Person. Not sure who else. Oh, Osweiller.
Started getting too many Bobcats for Lee News' taste.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:36 pm

Yeah, you answered your own question Tom. The feature was doomed once the list began being dominated by former Bobcats rather than former gris, as it was when it originated.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:34 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:34 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
It was written by Curt Synness. Several years ago I pointed out on twitter that he was missing Mike Person and another Cat along with Dwan Edwards. A few weeks later still missing those names I tweeted at him again that he should just rename the Article "NFL players with Griz ties". He blocked me.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:49 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:34 am
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
It was written by Curt Synness. Several years ago I pointed out on twitter that he was missing Mike Person and another Cat along with Dwan Edwards. A few weeks later still missing those names I tweeted at him again that he should just rename the Article "NFL players with Griz ties". He blocked me.
I recall Person and Edwards being on it.

The reason I brought it up is because there are players (Singleton and Andersen) that are accumulating stats on a steady basis. I think most of the guys on the other list barely played outside of Carpenter, Edwards. It’s more fun to read when there’s something other than “player 1 was active vs Jacksonville Sunday.”

Singleton just had one of the best pro seasons in terms of total tackles by a BSC defensive player and got very little recognition in print. Andersen is on the verge of putting up big numbers as well.

toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:33 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Dwan is severely underrated as a all-time Montana athlete. I recall watching him play for Columbus against my Red Lodge family when he was in HS and could tell he was special.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:45 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:49 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I recall Person and Edwards being on it.

The reason I brought it up is because there are players (Singleton and Andersen) that are accumulating stats on a steady basis. I think most of the guys on the other list barely played outside of Carpenter, Edwards. It’s more fun to read when there’s something other than “player 1 was active vs Jacksonville Sunday.”

Singleton just had one of the best pro seasons in terms of total tackles by a BSC defensive player and got very little recognition in print. Andersen is on the verge of putting up big numbers as well.

Yes a little after he blocked me he started listing them.

I'm sure it has to do with your post in another thread about how down print media staffing is. If your a one man show you just cover the local stuff you need to and leave the NFL to the national writers. It's probably a little time consuming to go through every game log every week to find out if those players played, what their stats were etc...

PFF listed Singleton as the 4th highest rated player on the Bronco's this season. Not to shabby for a player that was supposed to be a depth LB at the beginning of the season. One of my friends is a big Bronco fan and since we interact on Twitter it always shows me his likes. There is plenty out there in Bronco coverage about how good A.S. has been this year.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:53 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:24 am
Coaches review.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falc ... FV65MVVGE/
The real takeaway from this article is "what kind of truck does Troy drive?"

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:30 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:53 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Coaches review.

I doubt that it's a Shelby F150. Diesel? Nope. Nor will it have a lift kit and big tires like in Georgia.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:32 pm

775 horse power.

No one needs that.

But it would be fun.

Have a wonderful day!!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:36 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:53 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Coaches review.

It's probably legit a semi with a cow poop sprayed cattle trailer behind it :lol: 8)

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:44 am

MSU01 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Good points, you're right. I did a bad job of wording it. What I was trying to say those scores and grades are based on what has happened in the past and lack predictive value.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Helenabobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Helenabobcat » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:08 am

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:34 am

And he stayed healthy playing against the big boys.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:20 pm

FTG- GO CATS GO!