The Official-unofficial Bobcat-San Diego gameday thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

The Official-unofficial Bobcat-San Diego gameday thread

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:57 pm

It's game day on the 3rd week of the Bobcat season, and are we having fun yet? :D

I'm enjoying the season on every level except for the TV coverage I have to deal with. I did get to watch the replay of the game on the Bobcat website so I was able to get my eyes on the team and see some things. Clearly we're not a finished product yet but we've got a lot more diversity this year than in the years previous under Choate. We're balanced with run and pass plays, and can be effective either way. However, I would like to see better run lanes opened up this week than last.

The story lines continue:
* Coach Vigen is evolving into a more comfortable HC and I am liking him more and more each week. It will be fun to see what he brings forward this week against San Diego.

* Another home game: Do the students show back up and do we sell out again?

* How does Troy settle into his new role this week? I want to see more anticipation and less reaction from him. He's a clear game changer once he sees it, and his speed and anticipation time once they get in sync will wreck games. I predicted a 4 week learning curve for him and this week will be decisive in his development. I think we see a very energized Troy. The D on the whole is great!!! =D^

* Is Matt settling in? some have mentioned that he seems to take the first 1-2 read and then fires. Obviously that will come back to bite him as we progress to playing better teams. I will be watching (hopefully :) ) to see if he can work through the progressions this week. I'm glad he's here, I grade him an A so far!

* Will the run game reassert itself with a more diverse backfield and some new looks?

At any rate, these are my "watch points" for this game, what are yours?

Go Bobcats, beat the Californians!!! =D^ =D^ =D^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Official-unofficial Bobcat-San Diego gameday thread

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Those are all good.

I'm interested to see how San Diego lines up on defense. Will they disguise stacking the box and then fall into coverage? If so, how will McKay/Vigen react? McKay has had it fairly easy the first two games as both teams were dedicated to slowly the run game down, especially Drake. I think if San Diego does try to disguise and drop into coverage that it'll be a huge day for the MSU run game.

Secondly, I'm interested in the OL (nothing new there). Will they show signs of steady improvement?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 pm

First home game I'll have to miss since 2015. :evil: Damn covid...vaxd but I picked it up this week, just a headache for a few hours on Monday, but I don't want to put anyone else at risk. I'll catch the next home game and watch this one on TV. I'll also get to follow the game day thread. Yippee.

Go Cats!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 pm
First home game I'll have to miss since 2015. :evil: Damn covid...vaxd but I picked it up this week, just a headache for a few hours on Monday, but I don't want to put anyone else at risk. I'll catch the next home game and watch this one on TV. I'll also get to follow the game day thread. Yippee.

Go Cats!
That really sucks! Sorry to hear you have to miss the game, but I appreciate your consideration of others.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:04 pm

We’ll miss this one too. My dad got the Rona last week too. I’ll be chirping from the couch.

I’d love to see some focus on pounding the rock.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:18 pm

AFCAT wrote:

Go Cats!
Same here. I popped hot on Monday.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:18 pm
AFCAT wrote:

Go Cats!
Yeah, my elderly mother too. She is doing better today but had a semi-rough day on Tuesday but has gotten steadily better since then. Thankfully, she was also vaxd.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:58 pm

Supposed to be windy tomorrow. Sunny, high of 82, but gusts to 39. Steady breeze of 10-15.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:02 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 pm
wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Go Cats!
Yeah, my elderly mother too. She is doing better today but had a semi-rough day on Tuesday but has gotten steadily better since then. Thankfully, she was also vaxd.
Feel better guys and just take it easy, I popped after returning from Jamaica this August, also vaxed. We had a group of 6, 4 vaxed 2 not, 5 out of 6 of us came home with Delta. The 2 people that weren't Vaxed had Covid a month before the trip, they both popped afterward and 1 ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks. ****** no joke.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:58 pm
Supposed to be windy tomorrow. Sunny, high of 82, but gusts to 39. Steady breeze of 10-15.
I heard even a tad higher numbers on the steady breeze and gusts perhaps to 50. It will be a good test if we can open up the running game more. I expect wind will be a factor in the passing game, punting and any longer field goal attempts.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 am

The weakest part of the San Diego defense seemed to be the pass defense, so the wind could be a bit of an equalizer in this game.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:55 am

Doesn’t the plot now thicken….? We still will win, but this fly in the perfume only adds to the intrigue!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:13 am

I suppose if we don’t destroy them today, we drop in the polls. Fickle voters

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:22 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
I heard even a tad higher numbers on the steady breeze and gusts perhaps to 50. It will be a good test if we can open up the running game more. I expect wind will be a factor in the passing game, punting and any longer field goal attempts.
Dang with a forecast of wind that high I have to ask, is this game being played in Livingston?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:46 am

Forecast I'm looking at says the winds won't start till 3nd half ish and be 25-35.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:22 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Dang with a forecast of wind that high I have to ask, is this game being played in Livingston?
And we will hopefully break into the 60s here with what looks like a bunch of rain. Amazing what a few hundred miles can do...

Just looked at our guide and the game will be on SWX here. Glad to see that.

GOOOOOO BOBCATS...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:05 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:46 am
Forecast I'm looking at says the winds won't start till 3nd half ish and be 25-35.
Weather forecasts fluctuate this morning but generally are showing 20 mph at game time. And I just received a weather alert on my phone for high winds from noon to 9 pm. It noted the 25-35 mph like in your note with gusts to 65 mph in Gallatin County……uuuuugh. I hope it can hold off a bit.

Im not worried about the Bobcats winning but a 65 mph gust would tip over my beer in the tailgate area.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:17 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 pm
wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Go Cats!
Dang…a pretty small sampling of society here on this board but quite a number of vaxed folks with breakthrough cases! We took road trip two weeks ago with another couple…all vaccinated…3 of the 4 of us tested positive. Got my little call from county health department to quarantine for 10 days after symptoms start….so missed Gold Rush but I am cleared for today so I’m ready to get back into society! But drinking “tasteless” beer and eating “tasteless” brats just isn’t going to be the same….got to admit though I could smell my wife cooking some bacon yesterday so starting to get it back!

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:26 am

First off I hope we’re dominant enough that we rarely find ourselves in a 4th down situation but if we do I hope we go for it on 4th rather than punt when we’re going against the wind as long as we’re on the 35 or better.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:54 am