Indoor Facility

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Indoor Facility

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:41 pm

It sounds like UM will be announcing or has announced an indoor practice facility for their campus. I was told it is supposed to be ready by next November. I think that is 100% what we need to get done next here. How far away are we realistically from something like this. I know it’s in the long term plans, but how far out?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Indoor Facility

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:43 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:41 pm
It sounds like UM will be announcing or has announced an indoor practice facility for their campus. I was told it is supposed to be ready by next November. I think that is 100% what we need to get done next here. How far away are we realistically from something like this. I know it’s in the long term plans, but how far out?
It is pretty amazing that UM would announce another athletic facility at a time when the university is struggling so badly. I realize that the funding probably came from Daddy Warbucks Washington, but think about the optics…

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Costello mentioned a while back that they are looking at temporary alternatives. That probably is a bubble.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm
Costello mentioned a while back that they are looking at temporary alternatives. That probably is a bubble.
Which is exactly what UM is putting up.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:43 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
It is pretty amazing that UM would announce another athletic facility at a time when the university is struggling so badly. I realize that the funding probably came from Daddy Warbucks Washington, but think about the optics…
Was going to post something similar to this. Half the students graduating from that relic of a school have worthless B.A degrees and they are worried about an indoor football facility.

Priorities…

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

GRIZFNZ

Post by GRIZFNZ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:02 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50 pm
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Was going to post something similar to this. Half the students graduating from that relic of a school have worthless B.A degrees and they are worried about an indoor football facility.

Priorities…
Can you provide facts to back up your statement or are you just running your mouth like normal?

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 pm

As I understand it, the facility will be paid for with private monies, not university dollars. That said, it is strange that a new practice bubble is the priority when, as last discussed in the media, "Champions Center" charges still show up on the university's credit card billing statement.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 pm

UM is a fine academic institution that is hamstrung by over a decade of mismanagement, especially in the areas of recruiting new students and building their programs (forestry, pharmacy, and law) that differentiate them from MSU. If they do not change soon, they will fail.

This would be catastrophic for our state and would overburden the MSU infrastructure. Everyone in this state should be cheering for UM to turn things around.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:42 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 pm
UM is a fine academic institution that is hamstrung by over a decade of mismanagement, especially in the areas of recruiting new students and building their programs (forestry, pharmacy, and law) that differentiate them from MSU. If they do not change soon, they will fail.

This would be catastrophic for our state and would overburden the MSU infrastructure. Everyone in this state should be cheering for UM to turn things around.
How do you help an institution that can’t help itself? They have brought in new people yet the direction of enrollment is the exact same: DOWNWARD! They are investing in the athletic program but cutting on the academic side. There is nothing wrong with their pharmacy and law programs. They are still in high demand but each program faces enrollment capacity limitations. And what do you do with a forestry degree today? Their business program used to be respectable and is now an afterthought. Yet instead of fixing these problems, the news today that athletics is building an indoor practice facility. Sorry, but drastic changes are needed there. The current admin is not getting it done.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:46 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:02 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50 pm
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Priorities…
Can you provide facts to back up your statement or are you just running your mouth like normal?
Do you read the papers? Is the Champions Center paid off yet or do you need to take out more reserve funds to meet the obligation? How has enrollment been? And are those liberal arts degrees really in high demand right now?

We realize that you are Griz fan, but aren’t you the least bit embarrassed at the mess your university is currently facing?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:54 pm

It wil be the best of the best bubbles and we will be copying them when we get one.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:33 pm

I absolutely agree with you. UM needs to stop hiring senior administration from industry and trust the academic process that has worked for centuries.
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:42 pm

How do you help an institution that can’t help itself? They have brought in new people yet the direction of enrollment is the exact same: DOWNWARD! They are investing in the athletic program but cutting on the academic side. There is nothing wrong with their pharmacy and law programs. They are still in high demand but each program faces enrollment capacity limitations. And what do you do with a forestry degree today? Their business program used to be respectable and is now an afterthought. Yet instead of fixing these problems, the news today that athletics is building an indoor practice facility. Sorry, but drastic changes are needed there. The current admin is not getting it done.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:49 pm

What an absolutely mystifying move. I’m not surprised tho. Things have been bizarre at UM ever since Hauck started there back in 2003. All the crime, the strange dealings between the Higher Ed office and the Jordan Johnson scandal, which has never been made public btw, hiring Hauck back after the damage to the football program — and collaterally the entire school. Dumping money into a “champions” center that they DID NOT have enough funding for and still don’t. Where does it end? With a school with more student-athletes than students? Is the state going to need to step in to stop this nonsense?

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:33 pm

Hauck thinks that success in football will lead to an enrolment boost. And it may.

They should've hired someone as president with experience at higher Ed. Safe to say the Bodner experiment is a failure and it's time to move on.

Um is getting like an 8M bubble. Nowhere near the mega indoor facilities other places are getting that are 30/40 million or more.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 pm

Back on topic, does anyone know when we will truly have an indoor facility of any kind? How far away? We can bitch and moan about that other school all we want but they are getting it done in terms of facilities that are needed and give them competitive advantages. We need this as well!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:49 pm
What an absolutely mystifying move. I’m not surprised tho. Things have been bizarre at UM ever since Hauck started there back in 2003. All the crime, the strange dealings between the Higher Ed office and the Jordan Johnson scandal, which has never been made public btw, hiring Hauck back after the damage to the football program — and collaterally the entire school. Dumping money into a “champions” center that they DID NOT have enough funding for and still don’t. Where does it end? With a school with more student-athletes than students? Is the state going to need to step in to stop this nonsense?
Pretty much sums it up!... it’s not good.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:38 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 pm
Back on topic, does anyone know when we will truly have an indoor facility of any kind? How far away? We can bitch and moan about that other school all we want but they are getting it done in terms of facilities that are needed and give them competitive advantages. We need this as well!

Any chance we could take like 20 million out of that 101 million dollar donation for the nursing program.... just kidding...... but not really. Ha

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:46 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 pm
They haven't got anything done yet. I'm sure we have a plan that won't be too far behind them. Costello has his hooks into it and will get it done.

bertram
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bertram » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Huge chunk of the cost for the new structure at UM will be funded by the Quarterback Club, with a completion date of Nov 2022. It will also house track and field practice areas ( with an over all sq footage of 120,000; that's a big bubble). If a similar build where to happen in Bozeman where could it be built? I haven't heard yet details of group who will be building.. my guess is the Farley group ( same people who built the other bubbles at MSU).

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:10 pm

bertram wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:05 pm
Huge chunk of the cost for the new structure at UM will be funded by the Quarterback Club, with a completion date of Nov 2022. It will also house track and field practice areas ( with an over all sq footage of 120,000; that's a big bubble). If a similar build where to happen in Bozeman where could it be built? I haven't heard yet details of group who will be building.. my guess is the Farley group ( same people who built the other bubbles at MSU).
There's a huge space between the Fieldhouse and the football stadium. That's where the proposed IDP is expected to be constructed at some point in the future.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber