GOLD RUSH

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

GOLD RUSH

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:10 pm

This game has come to full fruition IMO. I recall when it first started and for years only about 2/3rds of the fans wore gold/yellow to the game and the term "Gold Rush" flowed off the tongue like someone's first day learning a foreign language.

MSU now has essentially two huge football games every other year and one huge game every year, instead of just Cat-Griz every other year.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: GOLD RUSH

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:10 pm
This game has come to full fruition IMO. I recall when it first started and for years only about 2/3rds of the fans wore gold/yellow to the game and the term "Gold Rush" flowed off the tongue like someone's first day learning a foreign language.

MSU now has essentially two huge football games every other year and one huge game every year, instead of just Cat-Griz every other year.
Tom...who came up with up with the idea of "Gold Rush"? Was it being done at another school? Wish it was in place when I was in college back in the 80's. I agree it's turned into something really special.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:20 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 am
TomCat88 wrote:

Tom...who came up with up with the idea of "Gold Rush"? Was it being done at another school? Wish it was in place when I was in college back in the 80's. I agree it's turned into something really special.
I forget the exact year, but it was 2007 or so when it began. It was suggested we all wear gold right here at bobcatnation.com by rtb and it spread pretty quickly by word of mouth.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:20 am

I went to MSU and my wife went to the University of Montana. Our son has been back and forth whether he was going to be a Bobcat or Griz. I took him to his first Bobcat game Saturday and he ended up loving it. Not only is the game atmosphere electric, but the MSU staff have really created an environment that’s really fun for kids. If you look around kids are dancing, smiling, shouting. After the game he said, “ I think we can go ahead and forget about the Griz, I’m a Bobcat now “. Sorry about the sentimentality but was awesome to build some memories.
Last edited by bobcatfan123 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:21 am

Quite a few of my friends told me that they had a great time in Bozeman and at the game. It's a great idea, because the weather isn't always ideal once October hits, so doing this the first game every year is bound to have some gorgeous days. I gotta admit MSU is on a roll.

Go Dark Brandon!!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:10 am

The earliest Gold Rush shirt I have in my drawer is 2009. I am pretty sure it started before that. I think that while it started before Cruzado, I think it took a giant leap in popularity after she got to MSU. I remember her most years personally promoting it and cheering and mingling with the students in the south end zone. I did not notice her there this year, did anybody see her? I wasn't looking on Saturday so she may have been there.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:23 am

I also have the 2009 shirt. I believe I read somewhere that 2009 was the first official year, but unofficially most likely started a few years earlier.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 am

Rich K wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:10 am
The earliest Gold Rush shirt I have in my drawer is 2009. I am pretty sure it started before that. I think that while it started before Cruzado, I think it took a giant leap in popularity after she got to MSU. I remember her most years personally promoting it and cheering and mingling with the students in the south end zone. I did not notice her there this year, did anybody see her? I wasn't looking on Saturday so she may have been there.
I didn't see her down at the endzone but saw her parking. With the long line, we had to part the line traffic for her to get through to her parking space.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 am

Best atmosphere I've ever been to for a college football game anywhere. I've been to U of Wash., Colorado St., UM, Okla. St., Wazzu, so it's not like I've been to any huge scenes other than UW. The Cat-Griz game is its own animal, but yesterday the combination of the weather, the fact almost everyone had their t-shirts on, all the activity around town made it the best for me. Homecoming is great, too, but being that Gold Rush is also the first game of the year just puts it over everything else.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Everything about this game is awesome! Such a cool tradition.

And What an incredible recruiting tool! Any recruit that attends gold rush will want to sign immediately (as we saw with the 3 verbals yesterday).

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:19 pm

"After that visit, it kind of sealed the deal. The game was awesome, and the atmosphere was different than anything I’d seen," Caden said. "It was the caliber of the play as well. They’ve got a bunch of studs out there."
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 72c44.html

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:09 pm

19,797 attendance!

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:19 pm

I ran into an older fella at Big R this afternoon, I had my MSU polo on and he said nice shirt. He said he was at the game and had a blast. I was surprised cause he looked to be at least in his 70's with a cane so he was pretty fired up!! Go Cats!

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:02 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:19 pm
I ran into an older fella at Big R this afternoon, I had my MSU polo on and he said nice shirt. He said he was at the game and had a blast. I was surprised cause he looked to be at least in his 70's with a cane so he was pretty fired up!! Go Cats!
Why? My mom is in her mid-80s and has a football season ticket, goes to the QB club meetings, wears Bobcat gear, and just loves the Cats.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:02 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Why? My mom is in her mid-80s and has a football season ticket, goes to the QB club meetings, wears Bobcat gear, and just loves the Cats.
I guess I wasn't expecting such great enthusiasm so I thought it was great. I hope to have that much spunk at his age!

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:53 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:20 am
I went to MSU and my wife went to the University of Montana. Our son has been back and forth whether he was going to be a Bobcat or Griz. I took him to his first Bobcat game Saturday and he ended up loving it. Not only is the game atmosphere electric, but the MSU staff have really created an environment that’s really fun for kids. If you look around kids are dancing, smiling, shouting. After the game he said, “ I think we can go ahead and forget about the Griz, I’m a Bobcat now “. Sorry about the sentimentality but was awesome to build some memories.
What a wise young man you are raising.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:02 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
I guess I wasn't expecting such great enthusiasm so I thought it was great. I hope to have that much spunk at his age!
I’m in my 70s and use a cane and I’m as excited a fan as ever. Probably more so, being retired. When I was working there was no extra time, except game attendance (all 4 major sports) was mandatory. When you can’t run around on the court or field anymore, it’s a great joy to watch those who can. When Bobcat football or basketball (men or women) are on TV it’s a definite plus for the day! Sorry to see SUU leave the Big Sky, but if any ‘Cat teams come to Dixie State we’ll get up there, cane and all. 💙 💛 😸

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I remember that they tried “Paint it Blue” for a few years, and then “White Out” and those never caught on. I think Gold Rush came about the year the stadium had lights for the first complete year. Which was after they were added for a night playoff game on ESPN the year before.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:01 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:02 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:
I’m in my 70s and use a cane and I’m as excited a fan as ever. Probably more so, being retired. When I was working there was no extra time, except game attendance (all 4 major sports) was mandatory. When you can’t run around on the court or field anymore, it’s a great joy to watch those who can. When Bobcat football or basketball (men or women) are on TV it’s a definite plus for the day! Sorry to see SUU leave the Big Sky, but if any ‘Cat teams come to Dixie State we’ll get up there, cane and all. 💙 💛 😸
Damn Weedkillin…how bad off do you think us 70 year olds are. Heck I still consume beer, dance with my wife (and chase her a bit), don’t carry a defibrillator with me, don’t need an oxygen tank, don’t have a casket picked yet…and still get excited at Bobcat games! 😎

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:43 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 pm
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I remember that they tried “Paint it Blue” for a few years, and then “White Out” and those never caught on. I think Gold Rush came about the year the stadium had lights for the first complete year. Which was after they were added for a night playoff game on ESPN the year before.
As I recall the first gold rush was one of the last years we had the old endzone. It was kind of spotty that year, it really started growing when the new endzone was built. the lights came quite a few years later.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.