GOLD RUSH

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: GOLD RUSH

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:41 am

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:43 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 pm
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:10 pm
This game has come to full fruition IMO. I recall when it first started and for years only about 2/3rds of the fans wore gold/yellow to the game and the term "Gold Rush" flowed off the tongue like someone's first day learning a foreign language.

MSU now has essentially two huge football games every other year and one huge game every year, instead of just Cat-Griz every other year.
Tom...who came up with up with the idea of "Gold Rush"? Was it being done at another school? Wish it was in place when I was in college back in the 80's. I agree it's turned into something really special.
I remember that they tried “Paint it Blue” for a few years, and then “White Out” and those never caught on. I think Gold Rush came about the year the stadium had lights for the first complete year. Which was after they were added for a night playoff game on ESPN the year before.
As I recall the first gold rush was one of the last years we had the old endzone. It was kind of spotty that year, it really started growing when the new endzone was built. the lights came quite a few years later.
2011 was the first year with the new end zone. I just saw an old picture that I had of that game and the gold rush was pretty good but not like last Saturday. I think the big distinction is that people now call this the "Gold Rush Game" instead of just hearing that they have to wear gold for the first home game. It's different from the themed games that every stadium has (white out night, paint it blue, etc.), where it's just "oh by the way, wear gold tonight". Here you've got Gold Rush, you've got Homecoming, and you've got Cat/griz every other year. NDSU also does a gold rush game, but with our mining history I think it just fits us a lot better.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 am

“The game was special. That’s what pretty much separated every other school from Montana State. Just the support around it. It was sold out, so obviously that helps, but it was just a good crowd and a really good game to watch," said Caden Dowler, a safety and wide receiver for the Golden Bears.

“I wanted to commit a lot earlier. I like the atmosphere, I like everything about the Cats’ program. The game just kind of sealed the deal. It was just the best place for me," said Taco Dowler, a West wide receiver and corner back.
Yeah. I’d say that The Gold Rush Game matters.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:51 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 am
“The game was special. That’s what pretty much separated every other school from Montana State. Just the support around it. It was sold out, so obviously that helps, but it was just a good crowd and a really good game to watch," said Caden Dowler, a safety and wide receiver for the Golden Bears.

“I wanted to commit a lot earlier. I like the atmosphere, I like everything about the Cats’ program. The game just kind of sealed the deal. It was just the best place for me," said Taco Dowler, a West wide receiver and corner back.
I bet they were on the fence until Sweet Caroline came on. :wink:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:51 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 am

I bet they were on the fence until Sweet Caroline came on. :wink:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:50 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:08 pm
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:10 pm
This game has come to full fruition IMO. I recall when it first started and for years only about 2/3rds of the fans wore gold/yellow to the game and the term "Gold Rush" flowed off the tongue like someone's first day learning a foreign language.

MSU now has essentially two huge football games every other year and one huge game every year, instead of just Cat-Griz every other year.
Tom...who came up with up with the idea of "Gold Rush"? Was it being done at another school? Wish it was in place when I was in college back in the 80's. I agree it's turned into something really special.
I remember that they tried “Paint it Blue” for a few years, and then “White Out” and those never caught on. I think Gold Rush came about the year the stadium had lights for the first complete year. Which was after they were added for a night playoff game on ESPN the year before.
Yeah, "Paint it Blue at MSU" was the first try for a "color out" type game. Still have that shirt.
Can't really remember what year that was, I think maybe around 2005 or 2006? It was just kind of tough with a dark color like that as it just didn't really have much effect in the stadium, looked like most any other game.

I don't remember a white out at a football game, they might have and I just don't recall. I know they have done white out games several times in recent years for Cat/Griz basketball.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:04 pm

Thunderstix!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:30 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:04 pm
Thunderstix!
Yes, haha!

@CPACAT didn't you buy a ton of these things years ago?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: