Injuries

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Injuries

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:29 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:21 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:59 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:36 am
I think Tom is reading way too much into it.
Yup.
I’m always wary of reading too much into things. I’m just pointing out some very obvious stuff. I think you’re both reading too much into my commentary.
I'm just going with what I saw and what makes sense in my brain. Tom is as well. My only thinking is that Nolan rotated with Troy a bunch prior to Nolan's injury. I do know the coaches have a load management watch on Troy every game and adjust to it based on how the game is going. Nolan is now out for likely the season and Danny U needs the reps. Going up 27-7 going into halftime likely played a key role in not having Troy back out there plus Danny needed to show he can be trusted in that rotation spot. Again, I saw Troy walking around on the sideline the entire second half and he appeared fine.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:32 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:17 pm
I used to come here to get little tidbits of information. This injury thing and offensive role with TA is just complete speculation. I will go with Vim’s take that they are saving him for a long season with big games ahead of us.

And Danny U is a real stud. But I was amazed at how more effective the D was with TA at linebacker. Eye opening yesterday.
UNC found a hole in MSU’s defense in the second quarter and exploited it. It coincided with Andersen being out of the game, but when he came back UNC continued to exploit it. In fact, Andersen misread a play that allowed an 11-yard gain for a first down and goal at the 7. MSU adjusted at halftime and shut that aspect down without Andersen. Uluilakepa had nine tackles, not that it is necessarily a meaningful stat, but he was noticeably involved and active. Uluilakepa is a linebacker with great instincts. He is only playing at MSU because he’s only 6’ tall. If he were 6’3” he’d be in the PAC-12.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:33 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:17 pm
I used to come here to get little tidbits of information. This injury thing and offensive role with TA is just complete speculation. I will go with Vim’s take that they are saving him for a long season with big games ahead of us.

And Danny U is a real stud. But I was amazed at how more effective the D was with TA at linebacker. Eye opening yesterday.
Troy was totally unblockable when he was in the game. Best defensive player for MSU in years.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:29 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.
I’m always wary of reading too much into things. I’m just pointing out some very obvious stuff. I think you’re both reading too much into my commentary.
I'm just going with what I saw and what makes sense in my brain. Tom is as well. My only thinking is that Nolan rotated with Troy a bunch prior to Nolan's injury. I do know the coaches have a load management watch on Troy every game and adjust to it based on how the game is going. Nolan is now out for likely the season and Danny U needs the reps. Going up 27-7 going into halftime likely played a key role in not having Troy back out there plus Danny needed to show he can be trusted in that rotation spot. Again, I saw Troy walking around on the sideline the entire second half and he appeared fine.
It wasn’t surprising that Andersen sat out the second half. I was surprised he was out during the UNC TD drive. Not that it mattered. I think UNC scores there anyway.

Ifanse also has had injury problems. I think he’s missed about as many games as Andersen.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:51 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.
It wasn’t surprising that Andersen sat out the second half. I was surprised he was out during the UNC TD drive. Not that it mattered. I think UNC scores there anyway.

Ifanse also has had injury problems. I think he’s missed about as many games as Andersen.
Huh? Troy basically missed an entire season in 2019 with injuries and without Covid year, he’d be out of eligibility and not playing this fall unless he redshirted the ghost 2020 season.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:17 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:51 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.

Huh? Troy basically missed an entire season in 2019 with injuries and without Covid year, he’d be out of eligibility and not playing this fall unless he redshirted the ghost 2020 season.
Didn’t recall that. I know he was first team all Big Sky. Knew he missed the last four. Ifanse was out for 8 games.

toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.
Them taking him out of the game Bc he might be dinged up and it was a blowout, is a very obvious sign they’re planning on something different for him?

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.
Then can you clarify what you're thinking when you refer to an expanded role for Troy?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:03 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:22 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.
Then can you clarify what you're thinking when you refer to an expanded role for Troy?
Pretty sure he’s not talking the OL. Troy was BSC freshman/rookie of the year at running back. First team all BSC at QB. Kind of goes without saying don’t it?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:24 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:58 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.
Them taking him out of the game Bc he might be dinged up and it was a blowout, is a very obvious sign they’re planning on something different for him?
Except that's not what happened in my opinion. It was 20-0 in the second quarter with about 7:10 to play in the half. IMO that's not a blowout. And as we all witnessed UNC made a strong move to get firmly back in the game. But, yes, it could be that he was hurting and they wanted to take him out so he could 'rub some dirt on it and get back in there' so to speak. Whatever the case may be it became apparent that the injury wasn't so serious that they had to keep him out as they put him back in when UNC got a first and 10 at the MSU 18. The next play they continued to go at what I perceived as a hole (weak spot) in the defense that they identified and Andersen blew past the runner, who gained 11 yards and a first and goal at the 7. UNC scored on the next play with Andersen still in. That drive consisted of 9 plays for 73 yards. The first six plays were all runs and were good for 39 yards. After a complete pass another run yielded 11 yards, so 7 rushing plays, 50 yards (7.1 ypc). That's after MSU had allowed just 45 yards in over one quarter of play. On UNC's next possession, with Andersen back in, they continued to exploit whatever alignment or trend MSU was in. They gained 14, 9 and 8 yards before calling a timeout with 48 seconds to play with the ball at the MSU 42. Zambrano then picks off the pass out of the timeout and the rest is history as MSU scored and went back up 20. They then re-grouped defensively in locker room and shut down UNC in the third quarter getting 3-and-outs on all four UNC possessions that quarter without Andersen on the field and Uluilakepa in the game.

As to your question, it isn't all about taking him out as it is about putting Uluilakepa in. This is a guy that's a high-end player and the defense should be working him into the game if the plan is to shift some of Andersen's playing time elsewhere in an effort to not wear him down. IMHO it appears MSU is looking at him to not only spell Andersen, but to play an increased role there. Is it simply to "preserve" Andersen? Or is it because the plan all along has been to eventually get Andersen involved on offense, and if that's the case do they continue to give him the same work load at LB and add RB/Wildcat duties or do they compensate for using him at RB/Wildcat by decreasing his LB playing time.

I'm projecting here, because what they're doing is exactly what I would do if I were planning to get Andersen on the field on offense. He didn't appear injured, which makes this the most logical conclusion to me. I don't think I'd take Andersen out of a game up just 20-0 midway through the second quarter, because I've seen way to many 20+ point comebacks and no one really knows what UNC has going just look at the prediction thread that shows many fans expecting them to exceed their scoring output from the two previous games they played at home against teams with worse defenses than MSU has.

toM StUber

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:30 pm

It ain’t gonna happen. Pure speculation and trying to get hopes up. Troy is a defensive player this year. While I won’t be upset if I’m wrong, I’m confident it won’t happen.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:31 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:03 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.
Pretty sure he’s not talking the OL. Troy was BSC freshman/rookie of the year at running back. First team all BSC at QB. Kind of goes without saying don’t it?
Not necessarily. Troy has also played in different roles on defense than the one he is currently in.

And besides, if he feels that people are reading into his words too much, then he could clarify what he means, no?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:38 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:31 pm
iaafan wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.
Not necessarily. Troy has also played in different roles on defense than the one he is currently in.

And besides, if he feels that people are reading into his words too much, then he could clarify what he means, no?
It’s clear to me. I don’t know of any other defensive positions he’s played besides linebacker and outside linebacker. Not sure why they’d consider moving him outside. O’Reilly seems to have that spot handled, but maybe you’re right about that. I doubt it. Getting Troy reps in the wildcat makes us more explosive and lessens the overload on Isaiah.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:38 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.

It’s clear to me. I don’t know of any other defensive positions he’s played besides linebacker and outside linebacker. Not sure why they’d consider moving him outside. O’Reilly seems to have that spot handled, but maybe you’re right about that. I doubt it. Getting Troy reps in the wildcat makes us more explosive and lessens the overload on Isaiah.
I’m not sure why they’d consider moving him anywhere. He’s so clearly finding his legs at off ball linebacker and seeing things a lot faster.

But he played more of an edge role in the last defensive system, quite different from his current spot and responsibility.

I am much more of the mind that he’s nursing some minor injuries that he can play through and they pulled him off the field to lighten the load against an also ran.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:37 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:30 pm
It ain’t gonna happen. Pure speculation and trying to get hopes up. Troy is a defensive player this year. While I won’t be upset if I’m wrong, I’m confident it won’t happen.
We need to put him in on a few offensive plays in the Idaho game so that Bobbie spends all Cat-griz week preparing for Troy again.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:57 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:37 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:30 pm
We need to put him in on a few offensive plays in the Idaho game so that Bobbie spends all Cat-griz week preparing for Troy again.

Laughing my ass off and agree 100%.

Line him up at QB under center, run him in motion, call a timeout, replace him, run the next play without him.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:23 pm

Talked to Danny U after the game. Asked if Troy was hurt. He said he didn't think so. Asked why Danny played the whole second half. He said he didn't know but thought maybe they just wanted to get him some reps. Makes sense to me. Troy needs a reliable backup.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.

I’m not sure why they’d consider moving him anywhere. He’s so clearly finding his legs at off ball linebacker and seeing things a lot faster.

But he played more of an edge role in the last defensive system, quite different from his current spot and responsibility.

I am much more of the mind that he’s nursing some minor injuries that he can play through and they pulled him off the field to lighten the load against an also ran.
The "Injury" (if there is one) happened I believe after he made a great play and tackle for loss on the RB out on the flat. On that play the tackle he made was a roll tackle where he landed on his right shoulder I believe, and he got up and seemed like he had a stinger. He shook it out and stayed in. A few plays later you could see he was shaking his wrist and making a fist. It might be only a ding, or it might of been something to not put more wear on during the game.

We shall see. I agree on his impact playing in the middle. He is now beginning to show his dominance from the position on the field. He is not a finished product, but when he makes the right call he's unstoppable! No time on Offense, more time for him down the road against better teams on D is what I think the coaches are thinking by pulling him.

Helenabobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Helenabobcat » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:04 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.

The "Injury" (if there is one) happened I believe after he made a great play and tackle for loss on the RB out on the flat. On that play the tackle he made was a roll tackle where he landed on his right shoulder I believe, and he got up and seemed like he had a stinger. He shook it out and stayed in. A few plays later you could see he was shaking his wrist and making a fist. It might be only a ding, or it might of been something to not put more wear on during the game.

We shall see. I agree on his impact playing in the middle. He is now beginning to show his dominance from the position on the field. He is not a finished product, but when he makes the right call he's unstoppable! No time on Offense, more time for him down the road against better teams on D is what I think the coaches are thinking by pulling him.
If I had to guess, I was thinking the same thing as you. ...something to do with his arm. It seemed like he was rolling his shoulder and shaking his hand a lot.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:22 am

Helenabobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:04 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Yup.

If I had to guess, I was thinking the same thing as you. ...something to do with his arm. It seemed like he was rolling his shoulder and shaking his hand a lot.
That sounds exactly like a stinger. Hopefully not too severe. I had one and it bothered me for about a week, but I'm a wimp. I've heard that they can linger for a couple weeks.

toM StUber