Injuries

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Injuries

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:44 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:47 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:55 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:29 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:14 pm
According to Coach Banks they took Troy out because they were up big and wanted to get Danny U some more reps.

So, it looked exactly like what it really was. Shocker.
Thank you belligerent! But now you ended all that speculation that TA was either hurt or being saved for the offense???!!!! Geezus people!!! Get ahold of yourselves!
:lol: :lol: No one in the discussion didn't have ahold of themselves. I didn't sense any panic amongst the few people posting in this thread. Just some understandable questions. MSU didn't have the game wrapped up midway through the second quarter and the offense was sputtering. Vigen even said that it was a key part of the game in the press conference video.

Just about everyone, that you're calling out for needing to get ahold of themselves, has pointed out they didn't think Troy was injured very badly if at all. Just curious as to why he was out at all. We definitely need a backup for Troy, because he seems to get hurt a lot. He may not have been seriously injured vs UNC, but enough people have said they saw him working his shoulder and hand that it's hard to say that they were just imagining things.
Other players are “working” out their dings on every single series. There was absolutely no indication that Troy was hurt (and the game was in hand) yet people rush to speculate on an injury with Troy. And some were speculating that he was being saved to play OFFENSE! This place has become just as bad as egriz. I realize that your world is completely upside down with Biden approval ratings plummeting every day, but you should direct your rage elsewhere.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:47 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:55 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:29 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:14 pm
According to Coach Banks they took Troy out because they were up big and wanted to get Danny U some more reps.

So, it looked exactly like what it really was. Shocker.
Thank you belligerent! But now you ended all that speculation that TA was either hurt or being saved for the offense???!!!! Geezus people!!! Get ahold of yourselves!
:lol: :lol: No one in the discussion didn't have ahold of themselves. I didn't sense any panic amongst the few people posting in this thread. Just some understandable questions. MSU didn't have the game wrapped up midway through the second quarter and the offense was sputtering. Vigen even said that it was a key part of the game in the press conference video.

Just about everyone, that you're calling out for needing to get ahold of themselves, has pointed out they didn't think Troy was injured very badly if at all. Just curious as to why he was out at all. We definitely need a backup for Troy, because he seems to get hurt a lot. He may not have been seriously injured vs UNC, but enough people have said they saw him working his shoulder and hand that it's hard to say that they were just imagining things.
Other players are “working” out their dings on every single series. There was absolutely no indication that Troy was hurt (and the game was in hand) yet people rush to speculate on an injury with Troy. And some were speculating that he was being saved to play OFFENSE! This place has become just as bad as egriz. I realize that your world is completely upside down with Biden approval ratings plummeting every day, but you should direct your rage elsewhere.
Easy there tiger. First relax and calm down a bit. This board is built for discussion and at times speculation. It's great that we got some confirmation that was positive rather than the speculation being true, but doesn't change the wondering about the decision and it's reasoning. Second, leave the political non sequitors out of it.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:20 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:20 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:13 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:59 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:48 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:43 pm
WTH is up with Tyrel Thomas? Maybe his recovery is taking longer than anticipated. Pretty damn good that our defense is as good as it is and our best corner hasn't seen the field yet.
I think he had surgery in August and they are bringing him back carefully. He was suited up this weekend and was available as an emergency option. I'd imagine we see him a bit this weekend.
Vigen said he'd play some the last 2 weekends. He's never gonna get on the field if that keeps being the mantra for him every week. We are going to need him against Eastern. Better get him some playing time now.
Yeah…I think everyone is hoping to see him out there (Vigen included). I also, know it’s important to listen to doctors, trainers, and the player himself we don’t rush him back too quickly. Hopefully he’s able to go this weekend.
I agree, I just don't understand why you suit him up if he isn't going to play. He was on the sideline suited up all day Saturday and nada.
It was a home game. More players can suit up.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:38 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:44 pm
Didn't they say that about TT the last two games?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:44 pm
Didn't they say that about TT the last two games?
Yes, but right before the UNC game they said he was going to play in an emergency situation only. Injury stuff is always liquid. In the press box they often give last second info mainly about players being last minute scratches from the lineup. A lot of those are complete surprises. I tend to think he will play some this week just because the next game is WSU. Injuries and player status are two of the most avoided and disguised subjects in football these days. I remember when coaches talked openly about all kinds of issues, but that's gone the way of the Edsel.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:30 pm

Regarding Tyrel Thomas, I am surprised that it’s been several weeks ago that Coach V said he’d be available, but we still haven’t seen him. However, I certainly can understand that due to who our opponents were, what the coaches saw on film by the end of that week, and how the game played out that it certainly seems reasonable to me that if TT had even the slightest risk to re-injury because he wasn’t 100% that there was more risk in playing him and possibly re-injuring his knee than there was benefit of getting Woodard & others some playing time. If he doesn’t see the field this week I’ll be a little surprised but we’ll see.

As far as TA not playing and Danny Uluilakepa playing, that makes sense as well. I noticed prior to the UNC game that there were plays where 15 was out and 30 was in, but a few plays later 15 was back in, so I’m not very concerned. It seems to be somewhat of a rotation thing.

I do think that Coach V & staff seem to provide a lot of opportunities for the #2’ & 3’s to get in a game, whether that be due to planned rotation or because of the game situation/score. Let’s remember that vs SD we played 4 QB’s, which I believe began in the 3rd qrtr.

I personally like playing one or two of the 2’s with the starters regularly. My thinking is…..a #2 that is in with the 1’s will be 100% focused on his job and won’t be concerned at the least as to his teammates doing their job. However, if all the 2’s are in, I could see where they might not be as confident that their fellow teammates on the field will perform their job and possibly not perform their job like they should. After all, I think the point of developing players is to see how they perform on the field with other starters vs the other teams’ starters, not necessarily how the #2 team does against the opposition (although that helps too).

From my perspective, Coach V & staff have got the 2’s & 3’s more playing time than Choate or Ash ever did. Part of that is because of the situation/scores that we’ve encountered to this point (i.e. we’ve had point margins of 38,42,33) and I think it’s their philosophy. I am hoping that situation happens this week, but I don’t foresee it happening @ WSU or @EWU. Give the players the reps when you can.

The benefits to this practice I think is a great way to develop depth, which is fantastic. The only drawback is for individual players, specifically starters, that only play a half or 3 qrtrs, don’t get the stats that most people that vote on those kinds of things look at. IF TA or McKay or Ifanse or Okada or McCutcheon were only taken out of the game when there was less than 4 minutes left, how many more tackles, interceptions, completions, receptions, and/or yards would they have got? The griz were up 39-0 with ~10 minutes left in the game vs CP and their #1 defense was still on the field (CP scored anyway). But it just goes to show you how unrepresentative stats can be.

IF that CATS season goes into December & hopefully beyond, this will be a very good thing. GO CATS!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:43 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:30 pm
Regarding Tyrel Thomas, I am surprised that it’s been several weeks ago that Coach V said he’d be available, but we still haven’t seen him. However, I certainly can understand that due to who our opponents were, what the coaches saw on film by the end of that week, and how the game played out that it certainly seems reasonable to me that if TT had even the slightest risk to re-injury because he wasn’t 100% that there was more risk in playing him and possibly re-injuring his knee than there was benefit of getting Woodard & others some playing time. If he doesn’t see the field this week I’ll be a little surprised but we’ll see.

As far as TA not playing and Danny Uluilakepa playing, that makes sense as well. I noticed prior to the UNC game that there were plays where 15 was out and 30 was in, but a few plays later 15 was back in, so I’m not very concerned. It seems to be somewhat of a rotation thing.

I do think that Coach V & staff seem to provide a lot of opportunities for the #2’ & 3’s to get in a game, whether that be due to planned rotation or because of the game situation/score. Let’s remember that vs SD we played 4 QB’s, which I believe began in the 3rd qrtr.

I personally like playing one or two of the 2’s with the starters regularly. My thinking is…..a #2 that is in with the 1’s will be 100% focused on his job and won’t be concerned at the least as to his teammates doing their job. However, if all the 2’s are in, I could see where they might not be as confident that their fellow teammates on the field will perform their job and possibly not perform their job like they should. After all, I think the point of developing players is to see how they perform on the field with other starters vs the other teams’ starters, not necessarily how the #2 team does against the opposition (although that helps too).

From my perspective, Coach V & staff have got the 2’s & 3’s more playing time than Choate or Ash ever did. Part of that is because of the situation/scores that we’ve encountered to this point (i.e. we’ve had point margins of 38,42,33) and I think it’s their philosophy. I am hoping that situation happens this week, but I don’t foresee it happening @ WSU or @EWU. Give the players the reps when you can.

The benefits to this practice I think is a great way to develop depth, which is fantastic. The only drawback is for individual players, specifically starters, that only play a half or 3 qrtrs, don’t get the stats that most people that vote on those kinds of things look at. IF TA or McKay or Ifanse or Okada or McCutcheon were only taken out of the game when there was less than 4 minutes left, how many more tackles, interceptions, completions, receptions, and/or yards would they have got? The griz were up 39-0 with ~10 minutes left in the game vs CP and their #1 defense was still on the field (CP scored anyway). But it just goes to show you how unrepresentative stats can be.

IF that CATS season goes into December & hopefully beyond, this will be a very good thing. GO CATS!
Amen. More experience makes the young guys better and makes the Bobcats deeper, which really matters late in the season. Plus how much better are the guys you're practicing against every day when they've seen significant game reps? As long as there's not a guy who wants to redshirt and can't because he's playing a couple plays every game, I say do it as much as possible. We hear a lot about "load management" in pro sports these days and as much as I roll my eyes about it, I think it's great when we can rest starters while still giving them enough reps to stay sharp. I love the luxury of being able put these guys in the game.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Scoured this thread and could not find anything on Coy Steel other than his injury is "serious". Anyone know any details?

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:18 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:05 pm
Scoured this thread and could not find anything on Coy Steel other than his injury is "serious". Anyone know any details?
He is done for the year and most likely his career is over.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:30 pm

stevo wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:18 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
OMG thats awful news! Was it a knee or is it publicly released? sheesh I feel terrible for the kid.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:35 pm

stevo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Wow, that sucks. Best wishes to Coy, heal up kid and thanks for being a Bobcat, you were fun to watch.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:42 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:35 pm
stevo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Wow, that sucks. Best wishes to Coy, heal up kid and thanks for being a Bobcat, you were fun to watch.
Jeez... had no idea it was that bad... has this been confirmed?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:55 am

ACL and he has plans to go to chiropractic school so I doubt he would look for medical redshirt and hang around. I heard Sulser acl in same knee he tore before and qb with high ankle sprain like Troy had so gonna be out awhile.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:23 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:55 am
ACL and he has plans to go to chiropractic school so I doubt he would look for medical redshirt and hang around. I heard Sulser acl in same knee he tore before and qb with high ankle sprain like Troy had so gonna be out awhile.
Sulser did tear the ACL in the same knee. He still plans on rehabbing and coming back, he is not ready to be done with football.

If your left, you aren’t right.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:17 am

On Skyline's Big Sky Breakdown Colter and Brooks talk about QB injuries (after the obligatory clipboard discussion). We're one of three teams (which also happen to have the three best QBs) to have our starter healthy for every game so far. That's crazy. We're also probably the only team in the conference with a good QB that wouldn't see a big drop off if our starter went down.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:35 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:17 am
On Skyline's Big Sky Breakdown Colter and Brooks talk about QB injuries (after the obligatory clipboard discussion). We're one of three teams (which also happen to have the three best QBs) to have our starter healthy for every game so far. That's crazy. We're also probably the only team in the conference with a good QB that wouldn't see a big drop off if our starter went down.
MSU most likely has the best backup QB in the conference, a very good spot to be in since McKay is supposedly soft. 8)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:18 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:35 am
coloradocat wrote:
MSU most likely has the best backup QB in the conference, a very good spot to be in since McKay is supposedly soft. 8)
I think we still see a drop off just because of lack of reps for the backups but I don't think that we are as dependent on QB as those other teams as well. If EB were to get hurt, EWU would be in dire straights.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:35 am
coloradocat wrote:
There's been some fans say that our backup would be starting at many other BSC teams which I have doubts about, but he would push out any backup QB in the conference with maybe one exception.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Quarterbacks on the best teams get less injuries because they spend more time standing up than lying on their back wondering what happened. Thank you, Bobcat offensive line.