Stat poll

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: Stat poll

Post by JDoub » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:42 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:23 pm
I thought SDSU and East Tennessee had the most dominate wins. Yes, the Griz line(s) are powerful and crushed Washington but I saw the same attitude with the Washington team we were used to seeing with Kramer. They expected to win and didn't take the Griz seriously.
Big griz win, I get it, they deserve to be in the conversation

But I agree with this - SDSU looked damn good, better than the griz IMO

ETSU beat an SEC team 23-3, I didn't see the game, but of the 368 (?) wins FCS has over FBS schools all-time, that is only the second time an SEC team has lost to an FCS team, the first one being Maine beating Mississippi State 9-7 back in 2004. ETSU relies on pound-n-ground, so to dominate LOS in a game with any SEC team, to me, is more impressive than the other wins.

We should've beat Wyoming :evil: If we are going to get to the NDSU level, we need to be beating FBS teams like NDSU has (they are 8-2 vs FBS in their last 10 FBS games). I thought we were the better team, but left points off the board and mis-managed out TO's. Even so, it was a better coached game than Choate's first 5 games IMO

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:18 am

If this was a power ranking, you could absolutely argue the Griz should be #1. However the Griz started at 9th, and there is no way they should surpass SHSU who did nothing to lose their #1 spot with a whooping on NAU on the road, and SDSU was #3 so obviously they should move up to #2 or even #1. And JMU absolutely pummeled Morehead State which is a middle of the road Pioneer team. Kind of funny that no one is talking about JMU after all of the crazy upsets this weekend.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:23 am

The answer to Bobby's question is SDSU. I believe the Rabbits would have soundly beat UW last weekend, and the probably would have put the game out of the contention pretty early. I also believe SHSU would have beat UW pretty badly last weekend. So them too.

#3 is where I'd have the grizz this week.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:29 am

Rankings are really dumb early in the season, and while I still look at them and care about what they say, they're a little ridiculous. We've complained about the griz in the other direction plenty of times too. They're highly ranked, then they lose to somebody and/or have an unimpressive win, and they're still in the top 10. Rankings start the season on a guess, and unfortunately we can't completely throw out that guess after a couple games. I do think the griz are probably in the right spot, because it's hard to argue that SHSU, SDSU and JMU should be penalized with their wins. Fortunately at this point these polls are completely meaningless and we get a better understanding of where everybody should be in a few weeks. That's one good thing about the BCS--they don't even try to guess until well into the season.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:39 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:13 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:53 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:43 pm
2005Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:36 pm
I would like to hear an explanation on why those 3 teams deserve to be ranked ahead of UM.... I can about guarantee none of them have done what UM has done so far this season... what else do u need to do to be voted #1...???

As much as I dislike the Griz; I agree completely.
The Jackrabbits dismantled Colorado State. SHSU is coming off a national championship with minimal personnel losses. No reason any voter is going to drop those 2. Maybe UM should have jumped JMU.

Or maybe the voters are just waiting to see if it was a freak game.
The Griz did also get 5 first place votes and JMU got 2. So at least a few people are seeing them as the top team.
While the UM win was a major upset over a PAC 12 opponent, UW looked awful. Their freshman QB in particular couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. He had 3 interceptions with a passer rating of 86. UM was also awful on offense. 12 completions for 105 yards and the leading rusher had 70 yards. With stats like that in any other game, this is a loss. UW has some serious overhaul to their offense if they want to avoid the bottom of the PAC 12.
If the Cats won in the exact same scenario as what you described, I bet you would think differently.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:40 am

Rankings shouldn’t even exist for the first 5 weeks. That’s my take.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:46 am

Up here in NW Washington we get our heavy dose of UW football info and if you've been paying even the slightest bit of attention, UW football is in somewhat of a trough right now. Jimmy Lake doesn't seem to be all that competent of a head coach and they have very young QBs. I personally think that the team was heavily overrated by the polls and this season will likely expose that pretty quickly.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:07 am

JDoub wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:42 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:23 pm
I thought SDSU and East Tennessee had the most dominate wins. Yes, the Griz line(s) are powerful and crushed Washington but I saw the same attitude with the Washington team we were used to seeing with Kramer. They expected to win and didn't take the Griz seriously.
Big griz win, I get it, they deserve to be in the conversation

But I agree with this - SDSU looked damn good, better than the griz IMO

ETSU beat an SEC team 23-3, I didn't see the game, but of the 368 (?) wins FCS has over FBS schools all-time, that is only the second time an SEC team has lost to an FCS team, the first one being Maine beating Mississippi State 9-7 back in 2004. ETSU relies on pound-n-ground, so to dominate LOS in a game with any SEC team, to me, is more impressive than the other wins.

We should've beat Wyoming :evil: If we are going to get to the NDSU level, we need to be beating FBS teams like NDSU has (they are 8-2 vs FBS in their last 10 FBS games). I thought we were the better team, but left points off the board and mis-managed out TO's. Even so, it was a better coached game than Choate's first 5 games IMO
Two minute drills. One can assume this staff will place more emphasis on ball control and clock management than the two prior staffs. That, and the most fundamental part of an offensive play or kick. Really like having a taller athletic quarterback this year.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:51 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:39 am
Cataholic wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
onceacat wrote:
2005Grad wrote:
I would like to hear an explanation on why those 3 teams deserve to be ranked ahead of UM.... I can about guarantee none of them have done what UM has done so far this season... what else do u need to do to be voted #1...???

The Jackrabbits dismantled Colorado State. SHSU is coming off a national championship with minimal personnel losses. No reason any voter is going to drop those 2. Maybe UM should have jumped JMU.

The Griz did also get 5 first place votes and JMU got 2. So at least a few people are seeing them as the top team.
While the UM win was a major upset over a PAC 12 opponent, UW looked awful. Their freshman QB in particular couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. He had 3 interceptions with a passer rating of 86. UM was also awful on offense. 12 completions for 105 yards and the leading rusher had 70 yards. With stats like that in any other game, this is a loss. UW has some serious overhaul to their offense if they want to avoid the bottom of the PAC 12.
If the Cats won in the exact same scenario as what you described, I bet you would think differently.
Absolutely!! I would have a sign out front celebrating the win over a PAC 12 school. Heck, even with our loss to Wyoming, I am currently touting Wyoming as a potential national champion (totally kidding!!!). No doubt that Washington had better athletes but they played awful. Not sure if you watched the game, but any neutral observer would tell you that Washington did not resemble a Top 20 team. Not even close.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:10 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:51 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:39 am
Cataholic wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
onceacat wrote:
2005Grad wrote:

Absolutely!! I would have a sign out front celebrating the win over a PAC 12 school. Heck, even with our loss to Wyoming, I am currently touting Wyoming as a potential national champion (totally kidding!!!). No doubt that Washington had better athletes but they played awful. Not sure if you watched the game, but any neutral observer would tell you that Washington did not resemble a Top 20 team. Not even close.
I was watching them and was almost wondering why they were even considered a top 40 team... Very uninspired...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:42 pm

SDSU was the most impressive win, SHSU defending champs with most people back. No one will jump them unless they lose

Sports is not bigger than life

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:00 am

This game has to be significant on so many levels! After getting manhandled by lowly FCS teams last weekend, how appropriate CSU & Vanderbilt play each other this weekend. The Sagarin formula is going to go crazy Sunday based on the outcome of this game:

https://www.anchorofgold.com/platform/a ... rado-state

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:20 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:00 am
This game has to be significant on so many levels! After getting manhandled by lowly FCS teams last weekend, how appropriate CSU & Vanderbilt play each other this weekend. The Sagarin formula is going to go crazy Sunday based on the outcome of this game:

That's pretty interesting and I'd guess a college football first - two FBS teams facing off after both losing to an FCS team the previous week.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:55 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:20 am
Cat Grad wrote:

That's pretty interesting and I'd guess a college football first - two FBS teams facing off after both losing to an FCS team the previous week.
Neither one simply lost is what will make this season's computer models interesting. Although I don't have that crystal ball, what happens if one of them turns around and has a good season? That'll affect both the FCS playoffs and the BCS.

Covid rosters have really helped the FCS schools after one week. That and the portal. I was really impressed with the SDSU quarterback. As soon as Alabama's dynasty ends we ought to see a better balance of power.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:34 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:55 am
CelticCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Neither one simply lost is what will make this season's computer models interesting. Although I don't have that crystal ball, what happens if one of them turns around and has a good season? That'll affect both the FCS playoffs and the BCS.

Covid rosters have really helped the FCS schools after one week. That and the portal. I was really impressed with the SDSU quarterback. As soon as Alabama's dynasty ends we ought to see a better balance of power.
Everyone has been so concerned with the transfer portal and how it might turn the FCS into a farm league for the FBS. While that portion of it may be true, I think it's also going to take away the single biggest advantage FBS teams have over FCS teams - depth. If you know you're the third string WR or S at Boise State, do you stick around or go be a stud at Portland State? It's easier than ever to do that. I think the depth amongst the mid to lower level FBS teams is going to take a hit.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:45 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:34 am
Cat Grad wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Everyone has been so concerned with the transfer portal and how it might turn the FCS into a farm league for the FBS. While that portion of it may be true, I think it's also going to take away the single biggest advantage FBS teams have over FCS teams - depth. If you know you're the third string WR or S at Boise State, do you stick around or go be a stud at Portland State? It's easier than ever to do that. I think the depth amongst the mid to lower level FBS teams is going to take a hit.
I think you're exactly right, but I also think water eventually finds its level. I think that depth will take a hit but even out after a couple years. I think some programs will handle it better than others, but I would guess overall it won't impact entire levels of football too much. It's just guessing at this point...should be interesting to watch over the next few years.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:48 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:45 am
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:34 am
Cat Grad wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I think you're exactly right, but I also think water eventually finds its level. I think that depth will take a hit but even out after a couple years. I think some programs will handle it better than others, but I would guess overall it won't impact entire levels of football too much. It's just guessing at this point...should be interesting to watch over the next few years.
I tend to agree with both of you; however, it concerns me more that the old CFA of the early 80s is at it again. Conference realignment is the only hope, in my conversations with those who make their living worrying about budgets at the G5 and FCS levels, for those schools to not get left behind.

You're correct in that this is fascinating to watch. Who knows? BYU may wind up saving the Big 12?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am

Interesting we dropped 2 spots this week and Villanova who has beat 2 of the worst teams in FCS jumped ahead of us.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:36 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am
Interesting we dropped 2 spots this week and Villanova who has beat 2 of the worst teams in FCS jumped ahead of us.
These polls early in the season are absolutely worthless. They have Weber moving up a spot after thrashing relative FCS newcomer Dixie State. Makes no sense...

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 pm

I think what threw a kink into the system this past weekend was Jacksonville State's upset of Florida State

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay