Stat poll

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Stat poll

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Stat poll

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:36 pm

That looks pretty dang good from my perspective. I don't remember where Weber started but I think they dropped them quite a bit for the Utah loss, which they shouldn't have IMO.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:47 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:36 pm
That looks pretty dang good from my perspective. I don't remember where Weber started but I think they dropped them quite a bit for the Utah loss, which they shouldn't have IMO.
Looks like Weber dropped about 5 spots. Which seems about right. Gotta give EWU & UM credit for pulling off the FBS upset. I didn't watch the Weber-Utah game, but in the box score, it doesn't look like Weber put up much of a fight.

Lots of love for the Big Sky in the polls.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:51 pm

I would like to hear an explanation on why those 3 teams deserve to be ranked ahead of UM.... I can about guarantee none of them have done what UM has done so far this season... what else do u need to do to be voted #1...???

FTG- GO CATS GO!

2005Grad
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2005Grad » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:36 pm

I would like to hear an explanation on why those 3 teams deserve to be ranked ahead of UM.... I can about guarantee none of them have done what UM has done so far this season... what else do u need to do to be voted #1...???

As much as I dislike the Griz; I agree completely.

Cat-Griz Saturday is my favorite day of the year.

2005Grad
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2005Grad » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:37 pm

2005Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Cat-Griz Saturday is my favorite day of the year.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:43 pm

2005Grad wrote:

The Jackrabbits dismantled Colorado State. SHSU is coming off a national championship with minimal personnel losses. No reason any voter is going to drop those 2. Maybe UM should have jumped JMU.

Or maybe the voters are just waiting to see if it was a freak game.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:53 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:43 pm
2005Grad wrote:

The Jackrabbits dismantled Colorado State. SHSU is coming off a national championship with minimal personnel losses. No reason any voter is going to drop those 2. Maybe UM should have jumped JMU.

The Griz did also get 5 first place votes and JMU got 2. So at least a few people are seeing them as the top team.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:13 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:53 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:43 pm
2005Grad wrote:

The Griz did also get 5 first place votes and JMU got 2. So at least a few people are seeing them as the top team.
While the UM win was a major upset over a PAC 12 opponent, UW looked awful. Their freshman QB in particular couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. He had 3 interceptions with a passer rating of 86. UM was also awful on offense. 12 completions for 105 yards and the leading rusher had 70 yards. With stats like that in any other game, this is a loss. UW has some serious overhaul to their offense if they want to avoid the bottom of the PAC 12.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:51 pm

When I started watching midway through the 4th, the announcer said UM picked up their first 1st down since the 1st quarter. It isn’t like they dominated UW. Both teams were bad offensively and very sound defensively. Huge win for UM, but unlike a lot of their fanbase thinks, one win doesn’t get you a trip to Frisco. The whole season is left to play.

Punters are people too!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:27 pm

If it's possible to have a bad win against a ranked FBS team, that's what it sounds like UM-Missoula accomplished. Beating an overrated ranked FBS team is still beating a ranked FBS team but maybe that's why they are "only" #4.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:44 pm

South Dakota State was the best looking FCS team last weekend IMHO. Not to take anything away from the griz win, which was huge, but SDSU absolutely destroyed Colorado State. They were up 42-16 at one point. Complete ass kicking. Honestly looked like CSU was the lower division team. If I had a vote, SDSU would be my #1 this week.

How tough is the Big Sky gonna be this season?? 3 teams beat an FBS opponent, nearly 4 with MSU, plus defending champs Weber State. That's 5 legit contenders, all ranked in the top 15.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:53 pm

Here's a list of past FCS teams to beat ranked FBS teams and how the season played out for both:

2007 - Appalachian St. beats No. 5 Michigan. ASU wins NC; Michigan beats Florida in Capital One Bowl and finishes ranked No. 18 at 9-4.
2010 - James Madison beats No. 13 Virg. Tech. JMU doesn't make the playoffs; VT advances to Orange Bowl and loses to Stanford 40-12 finishes season No. 10
2013 - EWU beats No. 25 Oregon St. EWU advances to FCS semis; OSU finishes 7-6 and unranked.
2016 - NDSU beats No. 11 Iowa. NDSU advances to FCS semis; Iowa finishes 8-5 and unranked.

So the one year when a ranked FBS team (VT) lost to a FCS team and had a decent year getting to a BCS Bowl, the team that beat them didn't even make the playoffs. Who would've predicted that? Twice the FBS team didn't finish in the top 25. The ASU-Mich game went by the script as ASU won it all and Michigan fell down, but not completely off the radar.

Washington has Michigan and Ark. State, then it's PAC 12 games. It'll be interesting to follow the Huskies the rest of the year.

Here's a link to all the times FCS teams beat FBS teams. I think you'll find it interesting.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... ies-upsets

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catgotmytung
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catgotmytung » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:06 pm

I watched both the Griz game and the SD State Game. I concur that SD State is the best looking FCS team out there. They have a big O-line, a tough D-line a new quarterback that is better than any they used in the Spring and they have the best tandem of running backs in the FCS. The griz can't match up with them in my opinion. The griz got a great win but I think Washington didn't show up, played terrible with poor quarterback play - you can say that was caused by the Griz being tough but I didn't see the energy out of U-dub - still thinking about their 63-7 rout the last time they played.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:23 pm

I thought SDSU and East Tennessee had the most dominate wins. Yes, the Griz line(s) are powerful and crushed Washington but I saw the same attitude with the Washington team we were used to seeing with Kramer. They expected to win and didn't take the Griz seriously.

Fort Collins is a nice college town, for what it's worth. Little big for me but it's nice.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:37 pm

It pains me to say this…and I hope to never say it again…

The Griz were THE STORY of CFB week 1. They should be #1

Gotta go. More throwing up to do.

Purrfection Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Purrfection Cat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:44 pm

2005Grad wrote:

Because South Dakota State pounded CSU. Way more impressive win.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:50 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:37 pm

I still keep in touch with former colleagues who disagree simply because Washington is in in the pac. I don't argue with them.

I'm curious as to how the 3-3-5 does against a middle or lower tier MVFC team.

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:27 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:44 pm
South Dakota State was the best looking FCS team last weekend IMHO. Not to take anything away from the griz win, which was huge, but SDSU absolutely destroyed Colorado State. They were up 42-16 at one point. Complete ass kicking. Honestly looked like CSU was the lower division team. If I had a vote, SDSU would be my #1 this week.

How tough is the Big Sky gonna be this season?? 3 teams beat an FBS opponent, nearly 4 with MSU, plus defending champs Weber State. That's 5 legit contenders, all ranked in the top 15.
Ditto!

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:13 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:50 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:37 pm

I still keep in touch with former colleagues who disagree simply because Washington is in in the pac. I don't argue with them.

I'm curious as to how the 3-3-5 does against a middle or lower tier MVFC team.
Good point. The voters may have flat whiffed on UW #20 ranking. But the PAC is a real FBS conference with real FBS talent. What the Griz did is special *barf*

As I’ve been saying…if the shoe were on the other foot, we’d feel the same way the Griz do and expect top billing.