Stat poll

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Stat poll

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:36 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am
Interesting we dropped 2 spots this week and Villanova who has beat 2 of the worst teams in FCS jumped ahead of us.
These polls early in the season are absolutely worthless. They have Weber moving up a spot after thrashing relative FCS newcomer Dixie State. Makes no sense...

This.

The polls are still pretty meaningless at this point... give it a couple more games and we will start to see a more accurate top 25.

There have been some pretty impressive wins so far this year with the FCS taking down FBS teams!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:06 pm

"FCS Top 25: Sam Herder’s Ballot For 9-13-2021 - HERO Sports News" https://herosports.com/fcs-top-25-sam-h ... -bzbz/amp/

I like seeing Sam's ballot every week. Gives a nice writeup too.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:35 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:06 pm
"FCS Top 25: Sam Herder’s Ballot For 9-13-2021 - HERO Sports News" https://herosports.com/fcs-top-25-sam-h ... -bzbz/amp/

I like seeing Sam's ballot every week. Gives a nice writeup too.
Sam knows what he's talking about. His 2019 write-up on Cat-Griz was excellent.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:51 pm

I think a big sleeper in the poll will be Stephen F Austin who gave Texas Tech a heck of a game. The Lumberjacks lead TT 13-7 at half time before falling 28-22. Watched a replay of the game on ESPN+ and SFA looked solid. It wouldn't surprise me to see them play a Big Sky team in the round of 16.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:14 pm

I have a feeling come tomorrow we will somehow drop in the polls, even after an easy win against San Diego. It’s crazy to me that MSU will never get any respect in the polls. Had UM lost to UW, they would still be ranked higher then us. Their strength of schedule is a joke this year. This is why I hate the polls though. They are just numbers and are never correct.

Punters are people too!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:44 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:14 pm
I have a feeling come tomorrow we will somehow drop in the polls, even after an easy win against San Diego. It’s crazy to me that MSU will never get any respect in the polls. Had UM lost to UW, they would still be ranked higher then us. Their strength of schedule is a joke this year. This is why I hate the polls though. They are just numbers and are never correct.
I could actually see us moving up a spot or 2. We might move ahead of Weber, and Jacksonville State should drop after a 3 point win against 0-3 North Alabama. We also had a better win against Drake than UND.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:16 am

To be fair, both Drake and San Diego are damn near at the bottom of the FCS, so even blowout wins against them don’t amount to much.
Our next couple games are better, but still relatively weak opponents, so they won’t do a ton for poll position either.
We could be 5-1 going into the Weber game and I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re no higher than 9 or 10.

But that’s when our schedule gets tough and if we continue winning those games, we should rise in the polls.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:56 am

Our schedule will put us where we belong in terms of final ranking. If we can win our tough games we will be sitting high. If we cant, we will drop. The schedule will dictate things pretty well by seasons end.

Hating the griz since 02.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:10 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:16 am
To be fair, both Drake and San Diego are damn near at the bottom of the FCS, so even blowout wins against them don’t amount to much.
Our next couple games are better, but still relatively weak opponents, so they won’t do a ton for poll position either.
We could be 5-1 going into the Weber game and I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re no higher than 9 or 10.

But that’s when our schedule gets tough and if we continue winning those games, we should rise in the polls.
Drake and San Diego are not quality opponents, so the wins don't carry much weight (especially if you didn't watch the game and see how well the Cats played). With the next two games against Portland State and Northern Colorado, we still might not see much movement if the Cats win both games. Moving up in the polls for the Cats right now will be made if someone loses that is ranked ahead of us. I can't argue with that either.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:20 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:10 am
Catsrgrood wrote:

Drake and San Diego are not quality opponents, so the wins don't carry much weight (especially if you didn't watch the game and see how well the Cats played). With the next two games against Portland State and Northern Colorado, we still might not see much movement if the Cats win both games. Moving up in the polls for the Cats right now will be made if someone loses that is ranked ahead of us. I can't argue with that either.
Yep. And its not going to shift much in the short term. We don't have a quality opponent on the schedule for a month until the Weber game (and after the game last weekend, it looks like Weber is probably pretty overranked right now). A 2 score win in Ogden-similar to JMU- would help move the needle.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:24 am

Catsrgrood wrote:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 am

Polls don't really mean anything until the last week of the regular season, even then the committee kind of have their own poll. Usually by mid November they are getting sorted out and make sense. They are fun to check each week though.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 am

I would say the Cats are a legit Top 10 team right now (regardless of who they have played), this team has the ability to beat any other team in the country. Its hard to put them much higher then top 10 at this point though... once we get some bigger wins (like weber or something), then we will get closer to top 5.

I am pretty excited about the Cats this year. It looks to be the most complete team we have seen in a long, long time.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:24 am

I see worrying about the polls the same as teens worried about how weird they are. Everyone thinks their team should be higher. Gonna be losses for a lot of teams in front of you, just keep winning and you will move up. What difference does it make today. I think strength of the university and the program lends itself to future success. Worrying about dark pink shows the teen obsession with everyone else is cool and I'm a geek mentality. We currently have 101 million reasons to realize we should be number 1 in our own minds.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:25 am

No movement for the Cats, still at 13. Can't really blame anyone, if you look at just the scoreboard you'll have seen MSU beat two of the worst FCS teams in the country easily at home.

https://www.theanalyst.com/na/2021/09/s ... ly-steady/

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:47 am

I think we're seeing that everybody is better this year--at least the top teams. Deeper, stronger, older teams theoretically means everybody should be improved over 2019. I haven't watched anybody else hardly, but it's pretty hard to argue with any of the teams ahead of MSU. Fortunately for us, MSU's trajectory should be steeper than other teams since we're still getting used to a new coach and we didn't play at all since 2019. Most other teams are probably closer to their ceiling than MSU is. As others have said, this will all work itself out and should be fun to watch!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:34 pm

Sam is more in touch with the full national landscape than most voters.

https://herosports.com/fcs-top-25-sam-h ... 21-3-bzbz/

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:25 am
No movement for the Cats, still at 13. Can't really blame anyone, if you look at just the scoreboard you'll have seen MSU beat two of the worst FCS teams in the country easily at home.

A bit of hyperbole there. Unless by worst you mean bottom half of the FCS. The Pioneer is a bad conference, but it's not the only one. Both Drake and San Diego are contenders in that conference every year. MSU barely beat Drake back when it was on a run of three straight BSC titles. The Patriot, MEAC, Big South, NEC are all equally bad overall as conferences. The Ivy and SWAC aren't great either. I think Drake and SD would beat a few bottom-feeder teams out of the other conferences. In the past, MSU has struggled at times against teams like these, so back-to-back decisive wins is pretty good. A lot of teams similar to MSU that played similar foes didn't fare as well as MSU.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:29 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:05 pm
CelticCat wrote:

A bit of hyperbole there. Unless by worst you mean bottom half of the FCS. The Pioneer is a bad conference, but it's not the only one. Both Drake and San Diego are contenders in that conference every year. MSU barely beat Drake back when it was on a run of three straight BSC titles. The Patriot, MEAC, Big South, NEC are all equally bad overall as conferences. The Ivy and SWAC aren't great either. I think Drake and SD would beat a few bottom-feeder teams out of the other conferences. In the past, MSU has struggled at times against teams like these, so back-to-back decisive wins is pretty good. A lot of teams similar to MSU that played similar foes didn't fare as well as MSU.
Thats fair. Both Drake & USD would win games in the BSC. Not many games, but they'd be competitive with the likes of Poly or Idaho St.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:05 pm
CelticCat wrote:

Maybe a bit, but not much - Sagarin has Drake as the 110th ranked FCS team and USD at 111th, out of 128 teams. Pioneer right now is the lowest rated conference in D1 in the Sagarin rankings.

I think a non-scholly league like the PFL probably got hit hardest by Covid, those guys aren't necessarily there to play football so if they graduated, and don't have scholarship money for the $74k/year it costs to go to USD, they gone. I think the PFL is going to be exceptionally bad this year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast