A *good* QB problem

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: A *good* QB problem

Post by seataccat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:35 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:46 am
Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:47 pm
I just want to remind a lot of people who seem to have no memory that Tyler Bruggman was a member of two different Power 5 teams before coming to MSU. I knew after his second game he was garbage. But hey, he won the fall competition.

There are always guys who look like world beaters in practice but don’t have game chops. Let’s hold off on this McKay worship until we actually see him play when it counts.

Rovig has never represented himself as a running qb, so it’s kind of bizarre that people keep coming back to this. He did well and put up good numbers when it counted against the jizz and in the playoffs. He made some damn impressive throws to Kassis and McCutcheon. The big pass to set up the second score against the jizz and that fade against Austin Peay. The two passes to McCutcheon against Albany. Am I the only one who remembers those? I must be. Rovig has nice touch on the deep ball. Has McKay made any of throws even in practice?

I hope any of his family and friends who read this read know not all of us think he needs to be thrown out like last week’s trash.
i remember as well. Good QB and a better kid!
He is a great kid and his best quality is the ability to put any mistakes behind him and execute the next play which is a must for any great athlete. I watched him throw a dime to Kevin Kassis right in front of me at the Cal Poly game in 2019. It was really a nice play and he managed that game quite well. But he is not an average BSC QB. I couldn't believe the drumbeat about how most fans wanted him to replace Chris Murry. Murry was better in literally every way. Tucker is a tough, resilient player and I respect the hell out of him but I am glad he is the backup currently.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:52 pm

seataccat wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:35 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Cledus wrote:
I just want to remind a lot of people who seem to have no memory that Tyler Bruggman was a member of two different Power 5 teams before coming to MSU. I knew after his second game he was garbage. But hey, he won the fall competition.

There are always guys who look like world beaters in practice but don’t have game chops. Let’s hold off on this McKay worship until we actually see him play when it counts.

Rovig has never represented himself as a running qb, so it’s kind of bizarre that people keep coming back to this. He did well and put up good numbers when it counted against the jizz and in the playoffs. He made some damn impressive throws to Kassis and McCutcheon. The big pass to set up the second score against the jizz and that fade against Austin Peay. The two passes to McCutcheon against Albany. Am I the only one who remembers those? I must be. Rovig has nice touch on the deep ball. Has McKay made any of throws even in practice?

I hope any of his family and friends who read this read know not all of us think he needs to be thrown out like last week’s trash.
He is a great kid and his best quality is the ability to put any mistakes behind him and execute the next play which is a must for any great athlete. I watched him throw a dime to Kevin Kassis right in front of me at the Cal Poly game in 2019. It was really a nice play and he managed that game quite well. But he is not an average BSC QB. I couldn't believe the drumbeat about how most fans wanted him to replace Chris Murry. Murry was better in literally every way. Tucker is a tough, resilient player and I respect the hell out of him but I am glad he is the backup currently.
Wow...I was a huge Murray fan & wanted him to have the starting job about 3 games into the 2016 (?) season. But Murray was only a marginally better passer than Bruggman (at the time) and couldn't throw the ball anywhere close to as well as Tucker.

In 2019 Rovig was 172-279 for 1969 yards, 5 INTS 15 TDS. Super efficient, but low volume.

Murray took over a team that was absolutely loaded at the skill positions (Gunnar Brekke, Chad Newell, Mitch Herbert, Logan Jones) and had NFL talent across the O-line (I would argue that the 2016 & 2017 offenses had more talent than the 2019 team, but reasonable people could disagree)...and in 2016 was 39 of 88 for 619 yards with 5 INTs & 4 TDs. In 2017, he was 103 of 205 7 INTs and 12TDs.

Of course, Murray was magic running the ball. And Rovig is adequate to scramble away from pressure.

I loved Murray, but he was a super raw 17 year old who couldn't pass the ball any better than Tyler Bruggman. Rovig is a VERY capable passer.

No comparison whatsoever.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:46 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:52 pm
seataccat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Wow...I was a huge Murray fan & wanted him to have the starting job about 3 games into the 2016 (?) season. But Murray was only a marginally better passer than Bruggman (at the time) and couldn't throw the ball anywhere close to as well as Tucker.

In 2019 Rovig was 172-279 for 1969 yards, 5 INTS 15 TDS. Super efficient, but low volume.

Murray took over a team that was absolutely loaded at the skill positions (Gunnar Brekke, Chad Newell, Mitch Herbert, Logan Jones) and had NFL talent across the O-line (I would argue that the 2016 & 2017 offenses had more talent than the 2019 team, but reasonable people could disagree)...and in 2016 was 39 of 88 for 619 yards with 5 INTs & 4 TDs. In 2017, he was 103 of 205 7 INTs and 12TDs.

Of course, Murray was magic running the ball. And Rovig is adequate to scramble away from pressure.

I loved Murray, but he was a super raw 17 year old who couldn't pass the ball any better than Tyler Bruggman. Rovig is a VERY capable passer.

I agree Rovig is hands down the better passer. I had a slight panic attack nearly every time Murray passed the ball.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:53 am

onceacat wrote: In 2019 Rovig was 172-279 for 1969 yards, 5 INTS 15 TDS. Super efficient, but low volume.
Well stated. I was just thinking along those lines as I was catching up on this thread. Put yourself in Tucker’s shoes. A QB with a defensive head coach. No emphasis on quarterback development like I’m sure Vigen will have. The QB of a record-breaking running offense that was eighth best in the nation. To his credit Tucker does two important things very well in support of the run game — he knows the playbook inside and out, and he has became a good trigger man for a pretty complex run game. He’s improved his ball skills greatly, and doesn’t put it on the ground all the time. As for passing, it was more like, “Uhh, Coach, could we throw the ball once in awhile?” Dead-eyed stare in return. I’m very happy we have Tucker.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:16 am

So whats the story behind Tucker though. Mellott has gotta be the option if not I bet he goes else where if he doesn't think he has a chance to start by his junior year. Also we have the big guy still around too that I don't think will crack the rotation and we are filled at TE so what does he do. It sounds bad, but do we really waste his scholly next year as he isn't going to be a contributor. Or would he transfer out? I am sure a school down the road in NAIA would love to have him or give him a good shot at starting. Then you got the other guy Vigen is bringing in and I am really concerned. I know he's a QB coach, but feared we are going to miss out on the next best MT QB out there in Mellott. Or do you think Vigen with his pedigree can lure the kid from Great Falls. I highly doubt he stays in state, but that kid is a monster and right now probably the best football player in highschool and still has two years left.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:26 am

I'm concerned that I won't pick the right powerball numbers.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:30 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:26 am
I'm concerned that I won't pick the right powerball numbers.
I'm just concerned that I'm not more concerned. What about this damned hurricane, should I be worried about playoff implications?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:46 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:46 pm
onceacat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Cledus wrote:

I agree Rovig is hands down the better passer. I had a slight panic attack nearly every time Murray passed the ball.
A panic attack when Murray was passing…ya think? My wife would flip the switch on the defibrillator as he started to drop into the pocket just in case!

But you got to admit that second completion in the 2016 CatGriz game was special (and it is still amazing we won that game with only 2 pass completions). Remember that pass to essentially lock up the game……..he stumbled pulling away from center and nearly falls on his face, gains his balance, then while falling backwards he shotputs (or tosses) a worse than wounded duck….behind a wide open Connor Sullivan. Connor catches it…game over. When I think of Murray passing that’s the one I remember…and it’s prettier as I remember it! But when I watch replays, I reflect on what a gifted runner he was.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:59 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:46 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Cledus wrote:

A panic attack when Murray was passing…ya think? My wife would flip the switch on the defibrillator as he started to drop into the pocket just in case!

But you got to admit that second completion in the 2016 CatGriz game was special (and it is still amazing we won that game with only 2 pass completions). Remember that pass to essentially lock up the game……..he stumbled pulling away from center and nearly falls on his face, gains his balance, then while falling backwards he shotputs (or tosses) a worse than wounded duck….behind a wide open Connor Sullivan. Connor catches it…game over. When I think of Murray passing that’s the one I remember…and it’s prettier as I remember it! But when I watch replays, I reflect on what a gifted runner he was.
The stumble was part of the play to get Connor more open from the start. But great sell by Chris on that one. It's really too bad about Chris because he had a really good spring in 2018. Was the definitive #1 QB and his passing/decision making improved sooo much from a lackluster sophomore campaign in 2017. It really did feel like he was ready to have that breakout dual-threat season. But of course if Chris' dismissal doesn't happen then we don't get the 2018 Troy season which was something else entirely. I can't believe we pulled off a playoff berth that year when every team knew we couldn't consistently throw the ball. Troy's passing game did improve by year-end but that was a very low bar to begin with.

As for Tucker, going back to his high school tape he has shown good accuracy on deep to intermediate routes when he's in rhythm and has good protection. But for some reason he's always struggled on simple short routes and his mechanics get really bad when he's pressured. I don't know how many times he threw behind or short of Kevin Kassis or Travis Jonsen on a 5-yard drag route across the middle in 2019. The same consistency issues showed up in the spring game this year where Tucker threw darts for a few drives and ducks for the others. With all that being said, he's improved his leadership and has earned a captain role on this team which makes him a very quality backup. I'm glad Tucker Rovig is on this team. If Matt McKay simply can't get it done (I'm giving him a four game sample size to prove it), rolling with Tucker once again should be easy since its been part of our Bobcat fandom since 2018!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:59 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Cledus wrote:

The stumble was part of the play to get Connor more open from the start. But great sell by Chris on that one. It's really too bad about Chris because he had a really good spring in 2018. Was the definitive #1 QB and his passing/decision making improved sooo much from a lackluster sophomore campaign in 2017. It really did feel like he was ready to have that breakout dual-threat season. But of course if Chris' dismissal doesn't happen then we don't get the 2018 Troy season which was something else entirely. I can't believe we pulled off a playoff berth that year when every team knew we couldn't consistently throw the ball. Troy's passing game did improve by year-end but that was a very low bar to begin with.

As for Tucker, going back to his high school tape he has shown good accuracy on deep to intermediate routes when he's in rhythm and has good protection. But for some reason he's always struggled on simple short routes and his mechanics get really bad when he's pressured. I don't know how many times he threw behind or short of Kevin Kassis or Travis Jonsen on a 5-yard drag route across the middle in 2019. The same consistency issues showed up in the spring game this year where Tucker threw darts for a few drives and ducks for the others. With all that being said, he's improved his leadership and has earned a captain role on this team which makes him a very quality backup. I'm glad Tucker Rovig is on this team. If Matt McKay simply can't get it done (I'm giving him a four game sample size to prove it), rolling with Tucker once again should be easy since its been part of our Bobcat fandom since 2018!
This single play is one of the most important plays in Cat/griz history (at least recent 2002 to present). It was unbelievably unlikely and it sealed the win. I had absolutely no idea the stumble was part of the play. :yes:

Hating the griz since 02.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:15 am

CodyCat wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 am
VimSince03 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Cledus wrote:

This single play is one of the most important plays in Cat/griz history (at least recent 2002 to present). It was unbelievably unlikely and it sealed the win. I had absolutely no idea the stumble was part of the play. :yes:
Yep....I can't remember the name of the playcall, but it's from the Boise State bag of tricks that Choate brought along with him.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:58 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Cledus wrote:

If memory serves me correctly Tucker was slated to take over at QB mid-season in 2018 (perhaps the Idaho State game?) and hurt his foot in practice that week—out for the season.

Tucker has always been very reliable and would have been a 1.5 season starter going into this year but did injury.

He’s had quite a ride.

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:36 am

“Houdini” was the play call on the Murray to Sullivan pass

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:16 pm

Seems like Macay is the real deal. Have we found our first baller QB since Prukop?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:11 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:16 pm
Seems like Macay is the real deal. Have we found our first baller QB since Prukop?
Watching the game in person I wasn't sold on McKay. I will hold back my final answer until I see the replay... Some poor throws and decisions, and some receiver drops.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:20 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:11 am
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Watching the game in person I wasn't sold on McKay. I will hold back my final answer until I see the replay... Some poor throws and decisions, and some receiver drops.
:roll:

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:35 am

Montanabob wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
19/28
200 yards
2 TDs
0 INT

One bad decision on the last drive I’ll excuse him for because the Cover 3 decision by the defensive coaches to allow Chambers all day in the pocket on the last Wyoming TD drive should have never put the offense in the position, yet McKay still moved the ball until time ran out against one of the Top 3 defenses the Bobcats will play in the regular season.

I’m sold.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:03 am

Montanabob wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Well Up with Momtanabob, I disagree. I liked the play calling, but was a little surprised we didn’t get Infanse going earlier to take some pressure off McKay. I think they were expecting that as well.

1. I was pleasantly surprised how good passing game looked considering all the time off the Cats had. Wyoming D is solid and experienced.

2. Several incompletions were on the money passes the receivers had to battle.

3. Lots of RPO’s. Fine concept but lots of reads and decisions being made with live bullets coming at him that aren’t his teammates. Time and repetition will improve that.

4. The offense supported him more, you could see the huddle was dialed in on him.

5. I didn’t think we really turned him lose yesterday. More to come.

I like his diversity and sounds like his players believe in him.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:17 am

When McKay was on time and in rhythm, he was the most accurate and capable QB the Cats have run out in 6 years. He’s got a bigger arm and better accuracy than any of the in-house candidates.

I also think that against BSC defenses, his legs will be more of a factor.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:59 am

Montanabob wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:

Ummmmmm, what!?!?

Did you watch the same game as everyone else?

FTG- GO CATS GO!