A *good* QB problem

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: A *good* QB problem

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:47 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:31 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:25 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:53 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:48 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:08 pm
profisme wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 pm
Denigrating a player who has yet to play a single game is weak.

Here’s to McKay kicking some ass this year.
Don’t fret. “KnowledgibleCat” and “BellegerentCat” are just the same douche. I’d make fun but I think back to my initial time on these boards and I have the same moronic mentality. Probably knocked back a few white claws, ZERO chance of the lady kind this evening, so next best thing.

Be patient with the kid.
Huh?

First off, learn how to spell. Second, I only got one name. Why the hell would I want two? Third, I would never comment about a player being soft. I might say they aren’t as talented as others, but I would never go personal like that. That just isn’t right. Fourth, if you don’t like the content of my posts, you are more than welcome to challenge me on that rather than taking pot shots from the sideline. I’m capable of admitting I’m wrong (sometimes).
Fair enough. I mistakenly confused the two of your posts.

Can't believe you made fun of my spelling though..... :cry:
Belligerent does remind me of Bobcat99.
](*,) [-X You and B99 don't get along, why rehash it man????
Just an observation. Regardless of whether I like B99, don’t they have the same style?

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:47 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:31 am
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
profisme wrote:

Don’t fret. “KnowledgibleCat” and “BellegerentCat” are just the same douche. I’d make fun but I think back to my initial time on these boards and I have the same moronic mentality. Probably knocked back a few white claws, ZERO chance of the lady kind this evening, so next best thing.

Be patient with the kid.
Huh?

First off, learn how to spell. Second, I only got one name. Why the hell would I want two? Third, I would never comment about a player being soft. I might say they aren’t as talented as others, but I would never go personal like that. That just isn’t right. Fourth, if you don’t like the content of my posts, you are more than welcome to challenge me on that rather than taking pot shots from the sideline. I’m capable of admitting I’m wrong (sometimes).

](*,) [-X You and B99 don't get along, why rehash it man????
Just an observation. Regardless of whether I like B99, don’t they have the same style?
They don't. B99 definitely can get testy but Belligerent is a great name for this poster (I have no issue with how he posts). B99 is normally more matter of fact.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:19 pm

I think the issue is that belligerent is a good poster and knowledge is a crap poster so they're oxymoron's. Or in the case of one of them; just a moron.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:26 pm

9 days...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:34 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:19 pm
I think the issue is that belligerent is a good poster and knowledge is a crap poster so they're oxymoron's. Or in the case of one of them; just a moron.
I won’t deny that I’m a moron.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
profisme wrote:

Be patient with the kid.
Huh?

How many different posters would you all like me to be?

As a long time reader, first time poster, I’m a little flattered by the attention, as long as nobody thinks that I’m PapaG’s alt.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:46 pm

Alright fellas, enough this is going no where. Let’s get back to football talk please.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:56 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:34 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
:lol:

My bad about that first post. Literally mixed up the screen names. You're obviously not the other guy. :oops:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:03 pm

From those attending practices, any insight on who the QB2 will be?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:09 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:56 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:34 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
:lol:

My bad about that first post. Literally mixed up the screen names. You're obviously not the other guy. :oops:
We’re good.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:14 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:38 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:09 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:22 pm
rivercat wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:41 pm
So this year, we will have "redshirt Covid freshman" that are juniors in school, "Covid freshman" that are sophomores, and true freshman. Wow, glad I don't have to manage that.
Yep, agree. I also think it's funny looking at other college football boards and seeing how many teams are talking about how good they're going to be and how stacked they are at most positions. Ya... cause we all have 150 players on the roster... join the club! :lol:
Does anybody know if FCS teams get a boost in scholarships until the Covid year players are all out of eligibility? 12 more to distribute amongst the large rosters seems reasonable for programs that can afford it.
The only year of relief is this year. By next year you have to be back at normal scholarship levels based on current rules…. Who knows if they will change again but that’s how it stands now.
Thank you for the information. Could be a lot of kids losing money in 2022.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:43 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:14 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:
rivercat wrote:
So this year, we will have "redshirt Covid freshman" that are juniors in school, "Covid freshman" that are sophomores, and true freshman. Wow, glad I don't have to manage that.
Yep, agree. I also think it's funny looking at other college football boards and seeing how many teams are talking about how good they're going to be and how stacked they are at most positions. Ya... cause we all have 150 players on the roster... join the club! :lol:
Does anybody know if FCS teams get a boost in scholarships until the Covid year players are all out of eligibility? 12 more to distribute amongst the large rosters seems reasonable for programs that can afford it.
The only year of relief is this year. By next year you have to be back at normal scholarship levels based on current rules…. Who knows if they will change again but that’s how it stands now.
Seems kind of a crap way to do it. perhaps tapering it down to old scholarship levels in 4 years seems a little fairer to that class.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:35 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:43 pm
PapaG wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:
rivercat wrote:
Seems kind of a crap way to do it. perhaps tapering it down to old scholarship levels in 4 years seems a little fairer to that class.
I think this will eventually be what they do…or some form of graduated tapering. They aren’t going to let teams load up just to rip schollys from 20+ kids per roster the next year. Despite the fact that the NCAA are MASTERS of creating their own negative headlines…even they can avoid that pothole.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:31 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:35 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:
rivercat wrote:
I think this will eventually be what they do…or some form of graduated tapering. They aren’t going to let teams load up just to rip schollys from 20+ kids per roster the next year. Despite the fact that the NCAA are MASTERS of creating their own negative headlines…even they can avoid that pothole.
I tend to think a lot of this is going to work itself out. Not that many kids want to stick around for 2 years after they graduate, so I'm guessing we see a ton of graduate transfers or the top tier of talent...plus a number of second tier seniors that 'retire' with a year or two of eligibility remaining. Add in a handful of Frosh & Sophomores that always get eliminated...and mix in a few creative ways of doing greyshirts & gap years...LDS missions...working in the oil patch...

I don't think the numbers are going to be totally catastrophic.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:24 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:31 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:
rivercat wrote:
I tend to think a lot of this is going to work itself out. Not that many kids want to stick around for 2 years after they graduate, so I'm guessing we see a ton of graduate transfers or the top tier of talent...plus a number of second tier seniors that 'retire' with a year or two of eligibility remaining. Add in a handful of Frosh & Sophomores that always get eliminated...and mix in a few creative ways of doing greyshirts & gap years...LDS missions...working in the oil patch...

Everybody has extra players and talent depth due to the China flu. This is why some players have entered the portal and can’t find a home to play. Gonna be a bottleneck for a few years with nowhere to go unless you just simply retire.
When somebody does find a place to go, it’s going to be six of one and a half a dozen of the other just trading back-and-forth. I think the portal Will be a very little net benefit to anybody During this time

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:57 am

kwcat wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:24 am
onceacat wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:31 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
PapaG wrote:
catatac wrote:
rivercat wrote:

Everybody has extra players and talent depth due to the China flu. This is why some players have entered the portal and can’t find a home to play. Gonna be a bottleneck for a few years with nowhere to go unless you just simply retire.
When somebody does find a place to go, it’s going to be six of one and a half a dozen of the other just trading back-and-forth. I think the portal Will be a very little net benefit to anybody During this time
Most players recruited to a college sports program don't see significant playing time and some don't see any. Almost all of these players either transfer or retire. The current influx of players to every program will work itself out the same way it always has. You'll just see quite a few more players transferring or retiring over the next couple years.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm

Rovig is QB2 for week #1 behind McKay, starting out where he has every other year of his career.

Discuss.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:57 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm
Rovig is QB2 for week #1 behind McKay, starting out where he has every other year of his career.

Discuss.
@Common Cat and I predicted earlier in the summer that Rovig will be the starter by the end of the season even if he wasn't at the beginning. Looking back on that I'm not sure what I was thinking but there it is. :lol: Who knows, maybe that ends up being true.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:03 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:57 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm

Discuss.
@Common Cat and I predicted earlier in the summer that Rovig will be the starter by the end of the season even if he wasn't at the beginning. Looking back on that I'm not sure what I was thinking but there it is. :lol: Who knows, maybe that ends up being true.
At MSU we have strong traditions!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:46 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:47 pm
I just want to remind a lot of people who seem to have no memory that Tyler Bruggman was a member of two different Power 5 teams before coming to MSU. I knew after his second game he was garbage. But hey, he won the fall competition.

There are always guys who look like world beaters in practice but don’t have game chops. Let’s hold off on this McKay worship until we actually see him play when it counts.

Rovig has never represented himself as a running qb, so it’s kind of bizarre that people keep coming back to this. He did well and put up good numbers when it counted against the jizz and in the playoffs. He made some damn impressive throws to Kassis and McCutcheon. The big pass to set up the second score against the jizz and that fade against Austin Peay. The two passes to McCutcheon against Albany. Am I the only one who remembers those? I must be. Rovig has nice touch on the deep ball. Has McKay made any of throws even in practice?

I hope any of his family and friends who read this read know not all of us think he needs to be thrown out like last week’s trash.
i remember as well. Good QB and a better kid!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz