How will the Big Sky deal with Covid this fall?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

How will the Big Sky deal with Covid this fall?

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm

Reading the Sam Herder article about the BSC coaches picking the national champion, the part that was most interesting to me was each coaches response on how they are handling vaccinations (quoted below). Reading this made me wonder how the BSC will handle games that are canceled due to team covid outbreaks. Is the plan to reschedule? Forfeit? Just not count as anything?

Also, let's imagine MSU has a homecoming game against Cal Poly. Hotels are full, tickets are sold out, we fly all of our top recruits in for the biggest recruiting weekend of the year, etc. Let's say the week before the game Cal Poly has a covid outbreak and they have to cancel/forfeit the game. People cancel their hotel rooms. Get a refund on their tickets, don't go out to eat, etc etc etc. That is obviously a huge loss for the MSU athletics budget as well as for the Bozeman economy.

Let's also imagine that we find out that only 10% of Cal Poly's player are vaccinated, so theoretically, this loss of income for the AD and the Bozeman economy could have/should have been avoidable.

Should there be any further discussion/ramifications beyond "oh well....what can you do?"

How have you addressed COVID vaccinations with your team?
“Everybody has to make their own choice and be accountable to that choice, and understand what the ramifications are. They need to know what the ramifications are. That may be missing some games or missing some reps. And hey, just like the North Carolina State baseball deal, they had guys that were vaccinated that still were positive and couldn’t play. Nothing is guaranteed. They can do what they want and understand the ramifications.”

“I’m for it. We’re not going to make anyone do it. I just try to advise them that it’s the best thing for them to do.”

“My players know I feel strongly that they should get vaccinated. But I think it’s a social thing. I understand those that don’t want to do it. It’s not FDA-approved. It’s still early on. I get it. But I was vaccinated to try and be some type of example for our team.”

“It’s not an easy thing to address because you want to respect everyone’s opinions. My biggest thing is no one in here is making the rules, but these are the things that are going to impact if we play or not. It’s like being mad at the speed limit. It’s the reality and we may not play or have a season if we don’t go in this direction.”

“Same thing as anything else, honestly. Rules are rules. So if there are forfeitures on the horizon, I mean we all knew the rules going in. Rules are rules. Everyone can have an opinion. I’m fine with opinions. But as long we have the rules, we’re going to do our best to follow those rules.”

“All I’m telling them is what could happen. We’re going to educate them. We’ll tell players that they could miss games. Coaching staff-wise, same thing. I can’t make you get it. But I pay you to coach. If you’re not at a game coaching over a choice you made, on paper, you fire that guy. Those are harsh words, but it’s happening already. I saw it with the (Minnesota) Vikings. It’s going to be a different puzzle this season. I heard one team, they didn’t say who, in our conference is only at 30 percent. I know we’re more than that, but I don’t think we’re at 80 percent yet.”

“I don’t have anything to say about that. It’s a personal choice, so I can’t tell anybody what to do. It’s whatever you want to do.”

“We just talked about it recently. Obviously, I want all of our guys to be vaccinated. It gives us the best shot to play and have less distractions. But you have to understand that people don’t feel the same way about a lot of different topics. I hope that was the message that got across that yes, I would like for you to be vaccinated, but it’s your decision.”

“I think to this point, it’s been more about encouragement. It’s been about here are the opportunities in our city where you can get vaccinated. Now, it’s getting to the point with the NFL laying their rules out, I think institutionally and as a conference, we’re starting to look more at rules. I think kids respond to rules more than speculation. That’s going to be our last-ditch effort, to say here’s how it’s going to look, guys. You can be on this side or this side, and while it’s your choice, here’s how it’s going to look if you’re not vaccinated.”

“We’ve educated them. We’re probably one of the more vaccinated teams in the league. But we still have to make some progress. We just need to keep educating them. It’s their decision. It’s a family choice. They just need to understand the potential consequences of being unvaccinated.”

“I think it’s their personal business. I don’t think it’s anyone else’s business. It’s up to them. That’s their business and their personal choice. They’re all smart and well-educated individuals.”

“I spoke to the team and I’m a believer that the vaccine can keep the country safe. It’s a personal choice, though. But I believe we’ll be 100 percent vaccinated soon, so we’ll be ready to go.”

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: How will the Big Sky deal with Covid this fall?

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:36 pm

The rumblings from the media event is that the Big Sky won't reschedule any games cancelled due to Covid and the offending team will be counted with a forfeit. Nothing official though, yet.

You bring up an interesting point though, should a team be punished monetarily if they cancel due to Covid? In your scenario, what if MSU is the away team and the home team forfeits? MSU and Bozeman aren't out those same big bucks.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Biden administration set to announce current vaccines don’t work against deltas to the current strain. Even calling a variant a “Delta variant” is stupid since Delta means change or variant. Sounds scarier, though.l, and dumb people believe what they are told.

Line up for the next round of jabs and Pharma and politicians getting even more rich.

Red states like Montana will be fine because the citizens won’t allow shutdowns again. The idiots here in Oregon are already mandating masks again even for vaccinated people like me. Had to wear one into a high school today with 6’ distancing yet they handed my paperwork without disinfecting it with bare hands.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:45 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:36 pm
Biden administration set to announce current vaccines don’t work against deltas to the current strain. Even calling a variant a “Delta variant” is stupid since Delta means change or variant. Sounds scarier, though.l, and dumb people believe what they are told.

Line up for the next round of jabs and Pharma and politicians getting even more rich.

Red states like Montana will be fine because the citizens won’t allow shutdowns again. The idiots here in Oregon are already mandating masks again even for vaccinated people like me. Had to wear one into a high school today with 6’ distancing yet they handed my paperwork without disinfecting it with bare hands.
Cool, very pertinent.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:03 pm

PapaG wrote:

Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh………………….okay.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 am

Sheesh these are strange times.....!

2024 Resume dominance

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:34 am

May be strange but definitely predictable....both on the mutation front and the reactionary front.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:23 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm
Let's also imagine that we find out that only 10% of Cal Poly's player are vaccinated, so theoretically, this loss of income for the AD and the Bozeman economy could have/should have been avoidable.
Since the majority of current hospitalizations are people that have had 2 vaccinations, how would this be avoidable

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:30 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:23 am
wbtfg wrote:
Since the majority of current hospitalizations are people that have had 2 vaccinations, how would this be avoidable
That's interesting, and certainly news to me. Is there a link for that?

This quote is from a week or so ago....has it changed that dramatically?
Over the past seven days, COVID-19 hospitalizations in the U.S. increased by 36 percent and deaths rose by 26 percent, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky warned Friday. Unvaccinated Americans account for 97 percent of these hospitalizations.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:47 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:30 am
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Over the past seven days, COVID-19 hospitalizations in the U.S. increased by 36 percent and deaths rose by 26 percent, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky warned Friday. Unvaccinated Americans account for 97 percent of these hospitalizations.
It probably came out of Tucker Carlson's (ie Pinocchio) his viewers eat up all his lies. We all know Tucker knows more than all the doctor's and medical professionals in the US and World.... i forget were he got his phd though.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:49 am

PapaG wrote:

They sure do, you're a prime example.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am

wbtfg wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

It was a article from about 10 days ago, it had convincing supporting data. I'm sure you would discount it as some "Right Wing' site just as I would discount yours as being from some "Left Wing Media" site. With the current state of the media and big tech censoring search results its much more difficult to go back find it again. You didn't provide a link either but I am sure you could since your quote fits the narrative that Big Government and the Media want.

It seems to get backed up by my personal observations. I live in a fairly small population but the only 2 people that I know that have contracted this latest variant, both had covid last fall and have had 2 vaccinations since. Both work in the health industry. I realize that the government, big pharma and big media are telling us not to believe what we see with our own eyes, this is what I am seeing from where I am.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am

cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
:shock:

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:47 am
wbtfg wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

It probably came out of Tucker Carlson's (ie Pinocchio) his viewers eat up all his lies. We all know Tucker knows more than all the doctor's and medical professionals in the US and World.... i forget were he got his phd though.
Sorry, I quite watching tucker quite awhile ago. I don't watch any of the big media channels any more.

Try again :-({|=

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am
wbtfg wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

It was a article from about 10 days ago, it had convincing supporting data. I'm sure you would discount it as some "Right Wing' site just as I would discount yours as being from some "Left Wing Media" site. With the current state of the media and big tech censoring search results its much more difficult to go back find it again. You didn't provide a link either but I am sure you could since your quote fits the narrative that Big Government and the Media want.

It seems to get backed up by my personal observations. I live in a fairly small population but the only 2 people that I know that have contracted this latest variant, both had covid last fall and have had 2 vaccinations since. Both work in the health industry. I realize that the government, big pharma and big media are telling us not to believe what we see with our own eyes, this is what I am seeing from where I am.
I was just asking you to share the source that your got that information, as it's different from what I have seen.

:shrug:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I was just asking you to share the source that your got that information, as it's different from what I have seen.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/cdc-mask-deci ... 00053.html

Tiny sample size but this outbreak gives an idea of what kind of ****** we could be heading towards.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Sorry, I quite watching tucker quite awhile ago. I don't watch any of the big media channels any more.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-joe ... es-1612181

It is rare for people fully vaccinated against COVID to fall ill, in what are known as breakthrough cases. However, it is not true that people who are vaccinated cannot get COVID, cannot be hospitalized, cannot become so sick they need treatment in an ICU, and/or cannot die because of the disease.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a federal agency, states on its website: "Vaccine breakthrough cases are expected. COVID-19 vaccines are effective and are a critical tool to bring the pandemic under control. However, no vaccines are 100% effective at preventing illness in vaccinated people. There will be a small percentage of fully vaccinated people who still get sick, are hospitalized, or die from COVID-19."

It goes on to state: "Like with other vaccines, vaccine breakthrough cases will occur, even though the vaccines are working as expected."

CDC data from July 12, 2021 shows that more than 159 million people in the U.S. have been vaccinated against COVID, and 48 U.S. states and territories have reported 5,492 patients with COVID vaccine breakthrough infections who were hospitalized or died.

Of the 5,189 vaccine breakthrough cases reported to the CDC where the person was hospitalized or died, 1,456 were asymptomatic or not related to COVID. Of the 1,063 fatal vaccine breakthrough cases cases, 272 were reported as asymptomatic or not related to COVID. As of 8 p.m. ET on July 21, 161.9 million people in the U.S. had been fully vaccinated, according to the CDC.

The CDC's web page on breakthrough cases did not state whether the hospitalized individuals were treated in an ICU. Separately, reports have emerged of fully vaccinated people being cared for in ICU.

You should just quit making ****** up.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 am
wbtfg wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 am
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/cdc-mask-deci ... 00053.html

Tiny sample size but this outbreak gives an idea of what kind of ****** we could be heading towards.
Yep.....the news coming out about the Delta is no joke.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:20 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

So in other words; he gets his info from Facebook. :lol:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:03 am

I get all my Covid advice from my Mom's hairstylist, who was also a nurse in the 1970s, conservative Canadian cattle ranchers, and Atlantic tuna boat captains. Professional medical experts, who have been studying infectious diseases their whole adult lives, don't have a clue what they are talking about.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter