Big Sky Kick-off in Spokane

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Big Sky Kick-off in Spokane

Post by SACCAT » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 am

Hi Everybody: The Boy and I are heading over to the Big Sky Kickoff in Spokane, and HE will be interviewing the coaches and players. Let me know if there is any specific question you would like asked..

PS... We won't be asking any negative questions to coaches IE "Bobby, what do you have to do to actually beat the Cats". The Boy is the one doing to interviews, and he is only 15, so we will be taking it easy on any trash talking type stuff.. Sorry

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Kick-off in Spokane

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:40 am

And here I was going to suggest asking Bobbi how many more times he thinks he can lose to the Cats before he gets fired. :lol:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:52 am

It’s unfortunate, but most of my big questions revolve around Covid and a potential fall surge due to the delta variant and vaccination success rates among players and staff

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 am

I think MSU, UM, NAU, and Weber State are well-positioned to recruit some players based on NIL potential in those markets. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those coaches on this new tool and how it impacts recruiting and messaging to PSAs.
Last edited by PapaG on Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:52 am
It’s unfortunate, but most of my big questions revolve around Covid and a potential fall surge due to the delta variant and vaccination success rates among players and staff
That would be more of a question for the AD's. I will see if we can't ask some if they are there.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:47 am

This might be a better question for other schools' coaches as Vigen hasn't gone through a full season/offseason cycle yet:

How have the changes in the transfer rules and the growth of the portal impacted how they look for non-HS recruits and have these changes impacted how they manage/interact with the players on the team?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:33 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:47 am
This might be a better question for other schools' coaches as Vigen hasn't gone through a full season/offseason cycle yet:

How have the changes in the transfer rules and the growth of the portal impacted how they look for non-HS recruits and have these changes impacted how they manage/interact with the players on the team?
+1. Good question.

My other question, was how are they discussing and managing the extra year of eligibility with the players (due to the Covid yearj and how is that entering into the number of high school recruits they will be pursuing the next several years to stay within scholarship limits after this year. Is their any advice they would give potential high school recruits since the environment has changed due to extra eligibility year and transfer rule changes?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:40 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 am
Hi Everybody: The Boy and I are heading over to the Big Sky Kickoff in Spokane, and HE will be interviewing the coaches and players. Let me know if there is any specific question you would like asked..

PS... We won't be asking any negative questions to coaches IE "Bobby, what do you have to do to actually beat the Cats". The Boy is the one doing to interviews, and he is only 15, so we will be taking it easy on any trash talking type stuff.. Sorry
Questions for the players:

What 2020 MSU freshman has impressed you the most with their work ethic and commitment?

What has been the biggest change with the new coaches?

What is your favorite dining establishment in Bozeman?

If you were going to nominate one MSU teammate to fight Mike Tyson, who would that be?

Questions for Vigen:

What has surprised you the most with MSU football?

Who has been most influential in shaping your coaching career?

What current MSU player could you see coaching football at a high level?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:40 pm
SACCAT wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 am

Questions for the players:

What 2020 MSU freshman has impressed you the most with their work ethic and commitment?

What has been the biggest change with the new coaches?

What is your favorite dining establishment in Bozeman?

If you were going to nominate one MSU teammate to fight Mike Tyson, who would that be?

Questions for Vigen:

What has surprised you the most with MSU football?

Who has been most influential in shaping your coaching career?

What current MSU player could you see coaching football at a high level?
Love the last question. That would be a good one to ask every year. We rarely think about players becoming coaches until after they're gone but every team has at least one future college coach on the roster.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:15 pm

Something along the lines about how playing or not playing this past spring season may benefit or hurt teams for playing this fall.

Did playing the Spring season better prepare players for this Fall or would it be a negative impact or neutral?

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 am

coloradocat wrote:

Piggybacking off of this question to ask a more specific question...Do they plan to hire another recruiting coach now that portal players are going to explode in numbers? The bigger schools seem to be emulating the NFL scouting approach of having a Director of Transfer Scouting (would be someone that just focuses on bringing in transfers and portal players) and a Director of High School scouting (as it says, scouting and signing high school level players). There's getting to be so many players in the portal, I think it'd be a waste to NOT have someone scouring the portal at all times to find potential fits.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 am
coloradocat wrote:

Piggybacking off of this question to ask a more specific question...Do they plan to hire another recruiting coach now that portal players are going to explode in numbers? The bigger schools seem to be emulating the NFL scouting approach of having a Director of Transfer Scouting (would be someone that just focuses on bringing in transfers and portal players) and a Director of High School scouting (as it says, scouting and signing high school level players). There's getting to be so many players in the portal, I think it'd be a waste to NOT have someone scouring the portal at all times to find potential fits.
You read my mind.

I assume it all comes down to funding. It would be great if we had two people devoted to scouting/recruiting. Related to this, it would also be great if we could start emulating the FBS programs that have analyst roles to expand the staff without going over the "coach" limits.

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:21 am

What are the dates for this?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:14 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I don't see how MSU can afford a full-time position to only track portal players but ... how about sub-contracting someone like @VimSince03 to fill in gaps on a part-time report schedule?

What a ride

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:14 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I don't see how MSU can afford a full-time position to only track portal players but ... how about sub-contracting someone like @VimSince03 to fill in gaps on a part-time report schedule?
Hire an analytics firm to do it for you.... And call plays for you........

Not.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:44 pm

We have two guys who's only job is recruiting. I think they can handle the additional pressure of transfers.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:43 am

stevo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:21 am
The media availability for players and coaches is today in Spokane. We are here and will have content for both Skyline Sports and ESPN Missoula from this event that we will roll out in coming weeks.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:00 am

Starts in a few minutes.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:21 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:43 am
stevo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:21 am
The media availability for players and coaches is today in Spokane. We are here and will have content for both Skyline Sports and ESPN Missoula from this event that we will roll out in coming weeks.

I just checked the stats and Robby Hauck already has 64 tackles for the 2021 season.

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 pm

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber