Big Sky Conference - California Teams

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Big Sky Conference - California Teams

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:08 pm

California Big Sky Conference football teams, will not be allowed to travel to Montana. The new transgender law in California will block all Cal-State teams from traveling to all the states on it's list. Montana was just added to the list. See ya Cali.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Big Sky Conference - California Teams

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:33 pm

My gosh I’m glad I live in Montana.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:40 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:08 pm
California Big Sky Conference football teams, will not be allowed to travel to Montana. The new transgender law in California will block all Cal-State teams from traveling to all the states on it's list. Montana was just added to the list. See ya Cali.
Just to get in here before this thread inevitably turns into yet another giant ****** show, there's an important distinction to make. California teams can still travel to Montana, they just can't use public funds to do it.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:40 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Just to get in here before this thread inevitably turns into yet another giant ****** show, there's an important distinction to make. California teams can still travel to Montana, they just can't use public funds to do it.
The coaches and staff are paid with public funds. You think they're staying home while their team goes to play? Check yourself, before you wreck yourself. =; =; =;

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:52 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:40 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
The coaches and staff are paid with public funds. You think they're staying home while their team goes to play? Check yourself, before you wreck yourself. =; =; =;
I'd suggest you educate yourself about this law before overdramatizing it like you are. Many college sports teams use a combination of public funds and private donations to finance travel, MSU included (I believe). This law simply means that only private funds can be used to travel to states on California's "naughty list". Coach and staff salaries being paid from public funds has absolutely nothing to do with travel costs, because a coach doesn't use his salary to buy his own plane ticket or hotel room when traveling to a road game. This is not a new law - it has been in place since 2016 and there are already states on the "banned" list to which California teams still regularly travel using private funding.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 pm

You better read the new law chief.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 pm
It is not a new law. Passed in 2016 and there were already 12 states on the list before Montana + 4 other states were recently added. Read it yourself. If you don't like the law, great - neither do I. But don't lie about it.

One more thing, Idaho was one of the 12 states already on the list. If you'd like me to post a lengthy list of box scores of Sac State, Cal Poly, and UC Davis traveling to Pocatello and Moscow for Big Sky sports games since the law came into effect, I'm happy to do so.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:19 pm

MSU01 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
It is not a new law. Passed in 2016 and there were already 12 states on the list before Montana + 4 other states were recently added. Read it yourself. If you don't like the law, great - neither do I. But don't lie about it.
Contracts signed before the state was added to list, will be honored. It's like kicking a can down the road. Sac State doesn't have the private funds to play the liberal's funding game. How long will UC-Davis and Cal-Ploy want to play along too?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:27 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:19 pm
MSU01 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Contracts signed before the state was added to list, will be honored. It's like kicking a can down the road. Sac State doesn't have the private funds to play the liberal's funding game. How long will UC-Davis and Cal-Ploy want to play along too?
Looking at the text of the actual bill, the cutoff date for exceptions for previously signed contracts was January 1, 2017. I have no idea what Sac State's finances look like but something tells me they didn't have all of their travel contracts to Idaho State, Idaho, and the Big Sky Conference Tournament in Boise (a move announced nine months later in September 2017) all signed and ready to go through the current day.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:33 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:33 pm

Too bad it doesn’t apply to all the California people flooding into the state of Montana right now. Always wondered why people leave one state because they don’t like the cost of living, over crowding, crime, etc. and then they vote the same way when they get to the new state. I think that is insane, keep doing the same thing over and over and while expecting a new result.

If your left, you aren’t right.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:50 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:33 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:

Too bad it doesn’t apply to all the California people flooding into the state of Montana right now. Always wondered why people leave one state because they don’t like the cost of living, over crowding, crime, etc. and then they vote the same way when they get to the new state. I think that is insane, keep doing the same thing over and over and while expecting a new result.
Does that include the guy from New Jersey and the guy from Maryland?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:02 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:33 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:

Are we talking about the same thing? I thought the culture warriors didn't seize on the issue of banning transgender athletes in sports until 2021.

Its hard to follow this particular line of thought, but it sounds like you are saying that you wish Californians wouldn't pressure New Jersey Greg Gianforte from changing the law to suit his particular religious beliefs.

Am I following that correctly? Californians need to quit supporting the status quo so East Coasters can change Montana law without pushback?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:04 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
COVID denialism yesterday, banning transgenders today, Critical Race Theory tomorrow. FFS when will these jagoffs let go of turning everything into a culture war and just let the kids play football?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:12 am

This isn't new like others have said. San Diego State had to privately fund their regional trip to the NCAA tournament a few years ago. The question is does the Big Sky work with scheduling for these schools and can they afford it? There is more to this than just football and basketball. I wonder how it will shake out for the small Cali schools.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:52 am

If they do not show up for games in Montana that should qualify as a forfeit.

I think the players, coaches, and alumni from all teams involved will not want a forfeit to happen.
I predict they will be travelling to Montana to play the games.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:12 am

MSU01 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

One more thing, Idaho was one of the 12 states already on the list. If you'd like me to post a lengthy list of box scores of Sac State, Cal Poly, and UC Davis traveling to Pocatello and Moscow for Big Sky sports games since the law came into effect, I'm happy to do so.
This is correct 👆 Nothing new here.