Paying athletes....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Paying athletes....

Post by Cataholic » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Top high school QB in country is skipping his senior season. Sounds like part of his decision was due to NIL restrictions for high school players in Texas. Crazy.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/quinn-ew ... ohio-state

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:14 pm
Top high school QB in country is skipping his senior season. Sounds like part of his decision was due to NIL restrictions for high school players in Texas. Crazy.

It's definitely crazy. I hate to see a kid skip their Senior season, but I don't blame him. He's a bit of an outlier, in that he's expected to compete for the starting position at Ohio St...as basically a Junior in HS. Kid trains with NFL players regularly and has to have immediate connections to make some serious money. I suppose that's what the new NIL rule is intended for - make the money while you can! Who knows when an injury will pop up and derail everything. Quinn Ewers wasn't the first kid to skip their Senior season, but was the first to do it for obvious NIL reasons. There's a RB headed to U of TX that announced in May, that he would be sitting out his last season to focus on training and didn't want to risk injury.

It'll be interesting to see if other kids that have an overly inflated self value try and pull this move and get burned by it.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:56 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm
Cataholic wrote:

It's definitely crazy. I hate to see a kid skip their Senior season, but I don't blame him. He's a bit of an outlier, in that he's expected to compete for the starting position at Ohio St...as basically a Junior in HS. Kid trains with NFL players regularly and has to have immediate connections to make some serious money. I suppose that's what the new NIL rule is intended for - make the money while you can! Who knows when an injury will pop up and derail everything. Quinn Ewers wasn't the first kid to skip their Senior season, but was the first to do it for obvious NIL reasons. There's a RB headed to U of TX that announced in May, that he would be sitting out his last season to focus on training and didn't want to risk injury.

It'll be interesting to see if other kids that have an overly inflated self value try and pull this move and get burned by it.
Based on how many guys enter the transfer portal every year I'm sure we'll see plenty of kids doing this. The other factor will probably be the opportunity to make money for their family at 17 or 18. There are plenty of players that come from very poor backgrounds that will jump at the chance to earn some cash. That, and elite athletes just go through the motions in school.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:26 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:56 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Based on how many guys enter the transfer portal every year I'm sure we'll see plenty of kids doing this. The other factor will probably be the opportunity to make money for their family at 17 or 18. There are plenty of players that come from very poor backgrounds that will jump at the chance to earn some cash. That, and elite athletes just go through the motions in school.

You missed it. He is already 18, before he starts his senior year. Few seniors start the year at 18 unless late birthday in July or August. So he is about where you would expect him to be age wise for entering college within 6 months. Who knows maybe his parents held him back an extra year in grade school because he was a small kid for his size and he caught up. Restarted late

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:49 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:26 pm
coloradocat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

You missed it. He is already 18, before he starts his senior year. Few seniors start the year at 18 unless late birthday in July or August. So he is about where you would expect him to be age wise for entering college within 6 months. Who knows maybe his parents held him back an extra year in grade school because he was a small kid for his size and he caught up. Restarted late
You’d be surprised at how normal it is in the Texas powerhouse schools to enroll your kid a year late for athletic purposes. I think the rule is that you just have to be less than 19 by Sep 1.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Montanabob wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What did I, or any of us, miss? We're talking about kids leaving high school early.

This particular guy isn't going to attend his senior year of high school. If he's already 18 that's kind of weird but it's also strange that as a junior he's only one class away from graduating so there's something going on there. Regardless, this is about more than one guy.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:56 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:54 pm
Montanabob wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What did I, or any of us, miss? We're talking about kids leaving high school early.

This particular guy isn't going to attend his senior year of high school. If he's already 18 that's kind of weird but it's also strange that as a junior he's only one class away from graduating so there's something going on there. Regardless, this is about more than one guy.
In an example, my 16 year-old younger daughter, in no way a star athlete or even an athlete, is supposed to be a HS junior next month but with all the “college credit” classes students get these days, she is instead going to Portland Community College full-time on campus there with the older people and will *graduate* HS with almost 2 years of transferable college credits. It’s a completely different HS experience than I had in Billings all those years ago. She can still go to HS dances and events but won’t step foot on her HS campus otherwise.
Last edited by PapaG on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:56 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

My younger daughter is supposed to be a HS junior but with all the “college credit” classes students get these days she is instead going to Portland Community College full-time and world *gradiate* HS with almost 2 years of transferable college credits. It’s a completely different HS experience than I had in Billings.
I have a friend who has twins, a boy and a girl. His daughter finished all her high school degree requirements after her sophomore year, so she left high school and enrolled in a local community college. When her twin brother graduates next year, she will get to go to the same high school graduation ceremony with him but will pick up both her high school diploma and a two year college degree. She is then heading off to a university. Certainly not the norm but it does occur more often these days.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 pm

I'll think we'll see real quick these guys that skip their Senior year aren't ready for College football as freshman, and probably not as redshirt freshman. Obviously there will be exceptions, possibly this kid but it's not going to turn out too well if it starts happening a lot.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:31 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 pm
PapaG wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

My younger daughter is supposed to be a HS junior but with all the “college credit” classes students get these days she is instead going to Portland Community College full-time and world *gradiate* HS with almost 2 years of transferable college credits. It’s a completely different HS experience than I had in Billings.
I have a friend who has twins, a boy and a girl. His daughter finished all her high school degree requirements after her sophomore year, so she left high school and enrolled in a local community college. When her twin brother graduates next year, she will get to go to the same high school graduation ceremony with him but will pick up both her high school diploma and a two year college degree. She is then heading off to a university. Certainly not the norm but it does occur more often these days.
My older daughter who graduated HS in June turns 18 in 10 days and then leaves for college on August 17th in Tucson on a full scholarship so I’ll go from two kids in HS to zero even though they are two years apart. It’s really odd to me but the Community College is paid for via the HS program and it was her choice.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:31 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 pm
PapaG wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

My older daughter who graduated HS in June turns 18 in 10 days and then leaves for college on August 17th in Tucson on a full scholarship so I’ll go from two kids in HS to zero even though they are two years apart. It’s really odd to me but the Community College is paid for via the HS program and it was her choice.
These are cool stories. A lot of high school (and the first year of college) is a waste of time so it's great that kids can get a head start on their degree. I wish that was available back in the day.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 pm
I'll think we'll see real quick these guys that skip their Senior year aren't ready for College football as freshman, and probably not as redshirt freshman. Obviously there will be exceptions, possibly this kid but it's not going to turn out too well if it starts happening a lot.
I don't know. I think a year in a college weight room and in a college athletic environment will go a long way. Sure, it's a year earlier in their physical development so there's only so much you can do to push that along but there are top level FBS recruits that already look like grown men at 18. This is another area where I think it's only going to happen at FBS (probably just P4) schools.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:32 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
I don't know. I think a year in a college weight room and in a college athletic environment will go a long way. Sure, it's a year earlier in their physical development so there's only so much you can do to push that along but there are top level FBS recruits that already look like grown men at 18. This is another area where I think it's only going to happen at FBS (probably just P4) schools.
And probably only a dozen or so schools across the P4. Vanderbilt isn't landing these kids.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:05 am

BleedingBLue wrote:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-f ... ollee/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 10351/Amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturd ... -list/amp/

And finally this one from 2018.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnati ... recruiting

Now I understand these links are from a real weak athletic conference football wise and their coaches should all listen to a certain demographic, but it might be something the real power conferences might consider looking into. Dual-enrollment is a great tool for both the kids and parents because paying for a kids education kind of runs into money.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:39 pm

I don't think the local Toyota dealers will be giving Bobcat athletes new Toyotas, but it wouldn't surprise me if they let them drive them around town. Maybe very discounted short term leases? Anybody know if this kind of thing might be in the cards?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:49 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:39 pm
I don't think the local Toyota dealers will be giving Bobcat athletes new Toyotas, but it wouldn't surprise me if they let them drive them around town. Maybe very discounted short term leases? Anybody know if this kind of thing might be in the cards?

Sounds like they're just becoming a larger sponsor for the Women's athletics program.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:14 pm

BYU Cougars sponsor offers to cover tuition for walk-on members of football team

The separation between the haves and have nots widens.....
The BYU athletic department helped broker opportunities for every walk-on member of the football team to sign endorsement deals with a sponsor that would cover the cost of their tuition for at least one year.

The arrangement -- which is possible due to recent NCAA rule changes that allow college athletes to make money from their names, images and likenesses (NIL) -- was announced during a team meeting this week. All 123 members of the Cougars football program were offered an endorsement deal with protein bar company Built Brands.

Scholarship players can receive $1,000 each for representing the company. The 36 walk-on players on the roster were offered what amounts to privately funded scholarships, although the players will be paid directly and can spend that money in any way they choose, according to associate athletic director Gary Veron.... (more)
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tball-team

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:29 am

That’s pretty cool though.

But with the endowment the Mormon church has, they could pay it all and never bat an eye.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:52 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:14 pm
BYU Cougars sponsor offers to cover tuition for walk-on members of football team

The BYU athletic department helped broker opportunities for every walk-on member of the football team to sign endorsement deals with a sponsor that would cover the cost of their tuition for at least one year.

The arrangement -- which is possible due to recent NCAA rule changes that allow college athletes to make money from their names, images and likenesses (NIL) -- was announced during a team meeting this week. All 123 members of the Cougars football program were offered an endorsement deal with protein bar company Built Brands.

Scholarship players can receive $1,000 each for representing the company. The 36 walk-on players on the roster were offered what amounts to privately funded scholarships, although the players will be paid directly and can spend that money in any way they choose, according to associate athletic director Gary Veron.... (more)
That great news for those young men and their families. At least a year of college for free. Outstanding!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:02 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:52 am
Rich K wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:14 pm

That great news for those young men and their families. At least a year of college for free. Outstanding!
123? That is a lot of folks without a scholarship!!!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back