Paying athletes....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Paying athletes....

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:34 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:24 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:00 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:51 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:16 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:09 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:49 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:52 am
Rich K wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:14 pm
BYU Cougars sponsor offers to cover tuition for walk-on members of football team

The separation between the haves and have nots widens.....
The BYU athletic department helped broker opportunities for every walk-on member of the football team to sign endorsement deals with a sponsor that would cover the cost of their tuition for at least one year.

The arrangement -- which is possible due to recent NCAA rule changes that allow college athletes to make money from their names, images and likenesses (NIL) -- was announced during a team meeting this week. All 123 members of the Cougars football program were offered an endorsement deal with protein bar company Built Brands.

Scholarship players can receive $1,000 each for representing the company. The 36 walk-on players on the roster were offered what amounts to privately funded scholarships, although the players will be paid directly and can spend that money in any way they choose, according to associate athletic director Gary Veron.... (more)
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tball-team
That great news for those young men and their families. At least a year of college for free. Outstanding!
Great news for the kids. Questionable effects for FBS football. As alluded to earlier, the schools with money will get the best recruits and get richer. Schools not so flush with cash or rich boosters will eventually be relegated to a lower tier of play.
What’s the problem with that?
Nothing if you are a fan of one of the rich schools. I also expect that the gap between P5 and G5 will get larger. Those borderline P5 prospects that didn’t warrant a full ride and ended up at a G5 school in the past, now may still end up at a P5 as there are other ways to pay for that kids schooling. That sucks in my opinion. I hate seeing an Alabama vs Ohio State FBS championship every year. I am guessing even P5 schools like Washington State might suffer.
There’s already a huge gap in schools.

Realistically, there are what, 6 teams that can compete for a national championship at the FBS level?

In the FCS there’s NDSU and James Madison. We’re a good school with a good football team, and NDSU is quite a bit above what we are. We don’t compete with them, if we’re being honest.

The gap is already there. If the student athletes are able to get paid, or improve their lives, I don’t see why that sucks. Football is a game. It would be terribly selfish of me to hope that student athletes shouldn’t be able to take these benefits because I want my football team to win another game or two.
I really enjoy your thought process. You're correct that right now, given the recent history there are a half dozen teams that can win the national championship, and those of us a bit older than you appreciate they are not Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska.

I've enjoyed watching schools start a football program like Georgia Southern, South Florida, Georgia State, Kennesaw State, Coastal Carolina, etc. keep building their program and leave I-AA behind as they strive to reach the top. I don't appreciate complacency and the smugness exhibited by podunk schools that enjoy and brag about having a playoff team in small college football.

The kids want to win and they want to compete against the best or they don't play the game. If they can't be the best at what they do, it is human nature to walk away or bust their ass to prove all their high school coaches wrong. And those that work their asses off to become great college athletes deserve to be compensated fairly.
I just want Miami to be good again.
Sam passed away.

They don't get all the great Florida athletes anymore as there's what? Central Florida, South Florida, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, FAMU that are tapping into what Florida and FSU won't accept. Plus you've got all the other schools recruiting down there now. I suspect SMU will rise out of the ashrs of all their crooked boosters bofore Miami does.

When the Uelands rebuild the M & M and one of the kids goes into administration, we'll see Miami rise again.
Sam actually cared about football. The other AD’s haven’t.

The small schools in Florida aren’t the problem, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State have been cherry picking the top talent.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BYU Cougars sponsor offers to cover tuition for walk-on members of football team

The BYU athletic department helped broker opportunities for every walk-on member of the football team to sign endorsement deals with a sponsor that would cover the cost of their tuition for at least one year.

The arrangement -- which is possible due to recent NCAA rule changes that allow college athletes to make money from their names, images and likenesses (NIL) -- was announced during a team meeting this week. All 123 members of the Cougars football program were offered an endorsement deal with protein bar company Built Brands.

Scholarship players can receive $1,000 each for representing the company. The 36 walk-on players on the roster were offered what amounts to privately funded scholarships, although the players will be paid directly and can spend that money in any way they choose, according to associate athletic director Gary Veron.... (more)
That great news for those young men and their families. At least a year of college for free. Outstanding!
Great news for the kids. Questionable effects for FBS football. As alluded to earlier, the schools with money will get the best recruits and get richer. Schools not so flush with cash or rich boosters will eventually be relegated to a lower tier of play.
Nothing if you are a fan of one of the rich schools. I also expect that the gap between P5 and G5 will get larger. Those borderline P5 prospects that didn’t warrant a full ride and ended up at a G5 school in the past, now may still end up at a P5 as there are other ways to pay for that kids schooling. That sucks in my opinion. I hate seeing an Alabama vs Ohio State FBS championship every year. I am guessing even P5 schools like Washington State might suffer.

Realistically, there are what, 6 teams that can compete for a national championship at the FBS level?

In the FCS there’s NDSU and James Madison. We’re a good school with a good football team, and NDSU is quite a bit above what we are. We don’t compete with them, if we’re being honest.

The gap is already there. If the student athletes are able to get paid, or improve their lives, I don’t see why that sucks. Football is a game. It would be terribly selfish of me to hope that student athletes shouldn’t be able to take these benefits because I want my football team to win another game or two.
I really enjoy your thought process. You're correct that right now, given the recent history there are a half dozen teams that can win the national championship, and those of us a bit older than you appreciate they are not Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State or Nebraska.

I've enjoyed watching schools start a football program like Georgia Southern, South Florida, Georgia State, Kennesaw State, Coastal Carolina, etc. keep building their program and leave I-AA behind as they strive to reach the top. I don't appreciate complacency and the smugness exhibited by podunk schools that enjoy and brag about having a playoff team in small college football.

The kids want to win and they want to compete against the best or they don't play the game. If they can't be the best at what they do, it is human nature to walk away or bust their ass to prove all their high school coaches wrong. And those that work their asses off to become great college athletes deserve to be compensated fairly.
Sam passed away.

They don't get all the great Florida athletes anymore as there's what? Central Florida, South Florida, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, FAMU that are tapping into what Florida and FSU won't accept. Plus you've got all the other schools recruiting down there now. I suspect SMU will rise out of the ashrs of all their crooked boosters bofore Miami does.

When the Uelands rebuild the M & M and one of the kids goes into administration, we'll see Miami rise again.
SMU will have a very good next few years. They had a great recruiting year.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:54 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:34 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Sam passed away.

Sam actually cared about football. The other AD’s haven’t.

The small schools in Florida aren’t the problem, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State have been cherry picking the top talent.
I mentioned all the Florida schools tapping their high schools now. Even North Dakota State has 10 or 12 kids from Florida year in and year out. Georgia is another good state for high school football, obviously Texas. New Jersey has great coaches and athletes as does Virginia. James Madison seems to have a recruiting edge in Virginia given how pitiful Tech and Virginia are. Florida is recruited much heavier now than they were back when Sam went down there.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:44 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Sam passed away.

Coach has repaired the damage done by those who came before him and is recruiting Dallas. They'll be really good the next few years.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:24 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Sam passed away.

Coach has repaired the damage done by those who came before him and is recruiting Dallas. They'll be really good the next few years.
Serious question.

While you and Tom were pounding vino, who’s idea was it to do the shots of fernet?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:24 am
Cat Grad wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Sam passed away.

Serious question.

While you and Tom were pounding vino, who’s idea was it to do the shots of fernet?
Well, given Sir Tom's question that I initially thought was just a smart ass comical topic, I was impressed with his response to you as all my WWII vet teachers would have responded to you with an anatomical AND physics lesson: Why don't you take a flying fukk at a rolling donut! And as an added bonus, Sir Tom could have entered into a discussion as to the "proper" spelling of donuts as his training as a word smith trumps most frequent flyers on this site...and he would have incited you by a long sight...

So, why aren't there enough parachutes on airplanes for all passengers? I think it's because the insurance companies don't want any survivors to bring excessive lawsuits. Perhaps you'd suggest all passengers one day be fitted with and into crash resistand and absorbing spacesuits?

I mean, Sir Tom was thinking out loud on his keyboard and came up with an extremely thought provoking topic. In another thread. One suitable for such discussions. Not on the football thread. Way to derail a good football discussion!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:10 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:39 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Sam passed away.

Serious question.

Well, given Sir Tom's question that I initially thought was just a smart ass comical topic, I was impressed with his response to you as all my WWII vet teachers would have responded to you with an anatomical AND physics lesson: Why don't you take a flying fukk at a rolling donut! And as an added bonus, Sir Tom could have entered into a discussion as to the "proper" spelling of donuts as his training as a word smith trumps most frequent flyers on this site...and he would have incited you by a long sight...

So, why aren't there enough parachutes on airplanes for all passengers? I think it's because the insurance companies don't want any survivors to bring excessive lawsuits. Perhaps you'd suggest all passengers one day be fitted with and into crash resistand and absorbing spacesuits?

I mean, Sir Tom was thinking out loud on his keyboard and came up with an extremely thought provoking topic. In another thread. One suitable for such discussions. Not on the football thread. Way to derail a good football discussion!
:thumbup:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:10 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:39 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Sam passed away.

Serious question.

:thumbup:
\:D/
Fire up the AC⚡️ DC!!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:55 pm

So are Waded and Leon ever going to come up with a NIL plan for the Bobcats? All I remember seeing are stories about how they are "evaluating the situation".

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:08 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:55 pm
So are Waded and Leon ever going to come up with a NIL plan for the Bobcats? All I remember seeing are stories about how they are "evaluating the situation".
They’re both a little busy making sure the camera focused on the BAC doesn’t tilt or shut off. :wink:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:53 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:08 pm
coloradocat wrote:
They’re both a little busy making sure the camera focused on the BAC doesn’t tilt or shut off. :wink:
I would take offense at that statement if it wasn't something that I would probably write. :D

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:22 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:53 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:08 pm
coloradocat wrote:
I would take offense at that statement if it wasn't something that I would probably write. :D
And know that I’m just having fun. I love and appreciate all your updates! Just pent up energy waiting for the season!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Every Bozeman business should get him on the payroll.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:19 pm

And learn how to spell his name.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:21 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:19 pm
As long as it's spelled correctly on the check.....

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:20 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:21 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:19 pm
As long as it's spelled correctly on the check.....

I’d settle for a free bar tab in lieu of check.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:35 pm

One the extreme end of the spectrum. Current 4th string QB

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:12 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:35 pm
One the extreme end of the spectrum. Current 4th string QB

Current 4th string because he is supposed to be a senior in HS. Was the #1 QB in the 22 class. Still pretty ridiculous though for a guy who hasn't taken a college snap and could be a bust.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:18 pm

Yeah, I know who he is. Very risky investment...think if they’d have been able to do that with Tate Martell.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:26 pm

Troy is in an R Bar commercial, it’s on the Bobcat Insider episode from this week.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast