Paying athletes....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Paying athletes....

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:09 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:04 pm
kmax wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:00 pm
The fact they didn't end this with a "Hey, touchdown!" when they get into the R bar is a huge miss.
I heard Troy has that phrase trademarked and will be coming out with a line of "Hey, Touchdown!" clothing gear. :wink:
:lol: Honestly, it would probably do well around here.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:55 am

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:19 am

Great article, thanks for posting! I know they obviously don't want to advertise the amounts they got paid here but I was curious if anyone has even a ball park idea? For example in Troy's case, they shot it in a couple hours, and the comment was that it wasn't "chump change". I have absolutely no concept of what that might be. Did he get paid $500... $50,000... somewhere in between I'd guess.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:40 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:19 am
Great article, thanks for posting! I know they obviously don't want to advertise the amounts they got paid here but I was curious if anyone has even a ball park idea? For example in Troy's case, they shot it in a couple hours, and the comment was that it wasn't "chump change". I have absolutely no concept of what that might be. Did he get paid $500... $50,000... somewhere in between I'd guess.
I wonder how much local commercials generally cost to make. I'd say $500-$1,000 is probably about right for Troy's first commercial since he's one of the most recognizable faces in town. If I was him I would have negotiated for a tab that never closes as well. :suds:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:42 pm

Things are going to get way out of hand sooner than later.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:53 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:42 pm
Things are going to get way out of hand sooner than later.

Wow. I don't know where this will lead to but I have a feeling only the richest of the P5 will be competing for a championship. I know its sort of that way now, but having a wealthy program (Texas) didn't guarantee success. Now it just might. Awful

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Who cares?

If we’re going to act like it’s still an amateur sport when the coaches are getting paid upwards of $10 million a year, then shame on us.

I got no issue with players getting paid. Good for them.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:39 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:25 pm
Who cares?

If we’re going to act like it’s still an amateur sport when the coaches are getting paid upwards of $10 million a year, then shame on us.

Ditto.

Though I don’t necessarily like the idea that the richest schools could end up being the only ones competing for championships with no kind of cap on what they can give a kid.

But I have no issues with kids getting a piece of the pie when everyone else is making money on their services.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:41 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Who cares?

And they just gave them a legal way to do what was done under the table for years. It is now professional sports like China's and Russia's sport programs.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:19 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:39 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Who cares?

Ditto.

Though I don’t necessarily like the idea that the richest schools could end up being the only ones competing for championships with no kind of cap on what they can give a kid.

But I have no issues with kids getting a piece of the pie when everyone else is making money on their services.
I'm not sure what Texas has to do with the Bobcats/FCS and never understand why those types of articles are posted in the Bobcat Football section.

Speaking of the richest schools being the only ones competing for championships. Why (and how) do you think we built the end zone seating and the BAC? Both of those were to be able to attract the best FCS players so we can win a championship. Flat out paying kids (via local businesses/boosters) is the next logical step.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:10 pm

I have no issues with these kids earing money off their talents and getting their "piece of the pie". I just think that there are certain elements to how this is playing out that might not end up being very good for college football. I don't pretend to know exactly how it all works and what the rules are but hypothetically - could a billionaire like Denny Washington pay stud 5-star players to come and play for the Griz... in essence buying top notch talent to ensure a championship?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:19 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Who cares?

Ditto.

I'm not sure what Texas has to do with the Bobcats/FCS and never understand why those types of articles are posted in the Bobcat Football section.

Speaking of the richest schools being the only ones competing for championships. Why (and how) do you think we built the end zone seating and the BAC? Both of those were to be able to attract the best FCS players so we can win a championship. Flat out paying kids (via local businesses/boosters) is the next logical step.
Uh, this thread is titled “Paying athletes…”

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:22 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Who cares?

Ditto.

Is it any different than us and say, Northern Colorado?

We have better facilities, from donor money, we have the QB club that gives money for various things that help. Stadium additions from private money. Schools like Northern Colorado aren’t able to do that. Is that fair? The richest schools are already the only ones that can compete.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:24 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:10 pm
I have no issues with these kids earing money off their talents and getting their "piece of the pie". I just think that there are certain elements to how this is playing out that might not end up being very good for college football. I don't pretend to know exactly how it all works and what the rules are but hypothetically - could a billionaire like Denny Washington pay stud 5-star players to come and play for the Griz... in essence buying top notch talent to ensure a championship?
Sure he could. It’s still unlikely it would ever happen, but it’s possible.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:34 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:22 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Who cares?

Ditto.

Is it any different than us and say, Northern Colorado?

We have better facilities, from donor money, we have the QB club that gives money for various things that help. Stadium additions from private money. Schools like Northern Colorado aren’t able to do that. Is that fair? The richest schools are already the only ones that can compete.
I don’t think that is apples to apples but I get your point. I’ve been advocating for players forever so that’s not an issue for me. My concern is this is just the beginning and none of us know yet how bad it could get.

Texas is a great example. They have piles of money and haven’t been nationally relevant forever. Now linemen get 50k a year. What if that turns into a million a year? Maybe more. What if billionaire boosters simply start paying millions to high schoolers to go to school there? Countless scenarios that right now we just don’t know about. But there is a reason that professional teams have salary caps for this exact thing.

The griz are a great example too. They have a billionaire booster. What if he got a wild hair and just reached out to the top 20 recruits in the country and offered them all 2-5 million or so to come up to Missoula?

I’m not naive enough to not understand how big time sports work. No doubt amazing facilities attract great recruits. But in my eyes that is way different than people with unlimited money allowed to pay any amount to any player with no regulation. That was my only point.

I’m happy to see kids making money though. No issue with that at all.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:41 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:19 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Who cares?

Ditto.

Uh, this thread is titled “Paying athletes…”
Uh, this board is titled "Bobcat Football..."

If we were talking about NDSU paying all their players $2k it would be related. P5 FBS schools practically play a different sport than even the top of the FCS. I don't really care what happens at Texas or Ohio State or Miami when considering how NIL impacts the Bobcats, because it doesn't.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:09 pm

Couple questions. Two different topics

1) what schools in the FCS playoffs are paying full cost of attendance is it just NDSU, SDSU and JMU? If so three out of five remaining (arguably the top three)

2) Can you pay a kid to attend a school? I thought it was only if they are already on the team then a offer can be made?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:35 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:09 pm
Couple questions. Two different topics

1) what schools in the FCS playoffs are paying full cost of attendance is it just NDSU, SDSU and JMU? If so three out of five remaining (arguably the top three)

2) Can you pay a kid to attend a school? I thought it was only if they are already on the team then a offer can be made?
Texas announces all lineman get a $50000 NIL endorsement. Do you really think there isn't a plan that next year they get the same signing bonus?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 pm

Denny would require the athletes to all change their first names to 'Washington' to get any cash.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:39 pm

So here we go. NIL and endorsements for paying college athletes to play sports. How does a community pay for it? How do they cash in so they can pay for the athletes?

Show me the money 💰💰💰💰