Paying athletes....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: Paying athletes....

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:00 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:35 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:11 am
Does anybody have a good article on what athletes can accept for compensation? I thought it was limited to just certain academic expenses so there would not be much of a windfall for each athlete.
I’ve seen several players that have already gotten over $20k per deal.
Interesting. So was the limit mentioned earlier about being for just certain educational expenses not accurate? I honestly don’t know.
I haven’t seen anything on limits, tbh. Where are you seeing that?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:13 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:06 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Does anybody have a good article on what athletes can accept for compensation? I thought it was limited to just certain academic expenses so there would not be much of a windfall for each athlete.
Interesting. So was the limit mentioned earlier about being for just certain educational expenses not accurate? I honestly don’t know.
I haven’t seen anything on limits, tbh. Where are you seeing that?
Actually it was mentioned earlier in the thread. I didn’t give it much thought at the time. Not sure who said there were limits based on educational expenses.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I think that portion was related to what the athletes can receive from the school, not through emendorsments deals.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:42 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:16 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I think that portion was related to what the athletes can receive from the school, not through emendorsments deals.
So there are two revenue streams to athletes? One from third parties and one from the school?

And talk about potential abuse. If a TA type kid is coming out of high school, what is preventing Washington Corp from providing him a marketing deal if he goes to UM?

If anybody has a good article of what is allowed, that would be awesome. It sounds like the Wild West right now. I would hate to see a kid lose eligibility because the guidelines are not completely defined.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:42 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
So there are two revenue streams to athletes? One from third parties and one from the school?

And talk about potential abuse. If a TA type kid is coming out of high school, what is preventing Washington Corp from providing him a marketing deal if he goes to UM?

If anybody has a good article of what is allowed, that would be awesome. It sounds like the Wild West right now. I would hate to see a kid lose eligibility because the guidelines are not completely defined.
If players can get paid, good for them. Like I’ve said, a lot of this is just legalizing what is already going on. It doesn’t happen at this level near as much, but the top FBS recruits have been getting paid (in some fashion) for a long time. It’s not supposed to be happening during recruiting though, only once a player is enrolled.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 am
PapaG wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:41 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 am
Cledus wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:03 am
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:54 am
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:49 am
And so it begins.
https://www.blackcollegeexperienceinc.c ... ement-deal
Good for him.
I sure hope former athletes sue the NCAA for back wages, for lack of a better description. It's unfathomable it took this long to reach the Supreme Court and when it finally did it was a unanimous smack down of biblical proportions.

When you've been telling a student athlete they can't even get a part time job to make ends meet because it might jeopardize the purity (had to stifle a chortle while writing that) of amateur sports, you're definitely not the good guys.
Guess I don’t agree with your comment on “suing” for back wages. They played under the rules and laws that existed at that time….so why are you entitled to sue now? If Biden gets the $50,000 through to pay for college loans can I file a lawsuit to get money for my wife and I college loans from years past because it was a helluva burden to pay them off so probably damaged my long term retirement savings…should I be able to? If the IRS makes a new rule that benefits me next year on a deduction or credit or expense that helps my business can I go back to the start of the business and sue for that benefit retroactively (because the previous law or rule seemed stupid or unfair)….why not?

Oh well… you are right, our legal system will probably take it on. I don’t agree with it but have at it.
There is a movement starting for retroactive recovery of student loans if we taxpayers end up paying off $50,000 in student loans for today’s students. I have a daughter going to the University of Arizona next month as a freshman, fortunately she has a full 4-year tuition STEM academic scholarship (Microbiology major) along with $6500 a year in scholarships, but it’s still another $15,000 a year we are paying for room and board. Why should we have to pay for other kids’ loans unless I can recoup the $31,000 I worked my ass off to repay after graduating from MSU with $500 in my bank account and a warehouse job at Bronken’s to save up money to move to Portland?
Parents: I worked hard so my kids could have a better life, I don’t want them to have to struggle like I did.
Government: Okay so why don’t we ease the burden of ever increasing tuition so kids don’t start off their professional careers in insurmountable debt.
Parents: No not like that.
Question: When did tuition start to increase at such a rapid rate?

Answer: After the government guaranteed federal loans for college/university.

Beware the unintended consequences of “help”.

We already have more kids going to college than need to be, if we’re being honest. Promote trade schools. We have a whole generation of tradesmen retiring and not enough people to replace them. And I quite frankly don’t care to pay for dumb degrees. If we’re going to do that, then be like Germany and tell them what degree they’re going to be getting based on how they test. Don’t test well enough, tough ******, you ain’t goin to school unless you wanna foot the bill.
This =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Exactly. So I'm a billionaire, own several companies, and I'm a huge Bobcat fan. There's kid graduating high school next Fall, let's say TA caliber, or maybe Brock Osweiler. Can I just pay him a million dollars (he'd just have to endorse one of my companies) to play football at MSU?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:05 pm

I think the Washington Corp is more interested in slapping their name on stuff not marketing someone else's name. Heck, um still owes millions in loans on their football facility. The Washington Corp could pay that off that um debt with with change from their couch cushions but chooses not to.

I don't think you are going to see any true million dollar endorsement contracts in FCS and probably not in FBS either.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:22 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cledus wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
And so it begins.
Good for him.
I sure hope former athletes sue the NCAA for back wages, for lack of a better description. It's unfathomable it took this long to reach the Supreme Court and when it finally did it was a unanimous smack down of biblical proportions.

When you've been telling a student athlete they can't even get a part time job to make ends meet because it might jeopardize the purity (had to stifle a chortle while writing that) of amateur sports, you're definitely not the good guys.
Guess I don’t agree with your comment on “suing” for back wages. They played under the rules and laws that existed at that time….so why are you entitled to sue now? If Biden gets the $50,000 through to pay for college loans can I file a lawsuit to get money for my wife and I college loans from years past because it was a helluva burden to pay them off so probably damaged my long term retirement savings…should I be able to? If the IRS makes a new rule that benefits me next year on a deduction or credit or expense that helps my business can I go back to the start of the business and sue for that benefit retroactively (because the previous law or rule seemed stupid or unfair)….why not?

Oh well… you are right, our legal system will probably take it on. I don’t agree with it but have at it.
There is a movement starting for retroactive recovery of student loans if we taxpayers end up paying off $50,000 in student loans for today’s students. I have a daughter going to the University of Arizona next month as a freshman, fortunately she has a full 4-year tuition STEM academic scholarship (Microbiology major) along with $6500 a year in scholarships, but it’s still another $15,000 a year we are paying for room and board. Why should we have to pay for other kids’ loans unless I can recoup the $31,000 I worked my ass off to repay after graduating from MSU with $500 in my bank account and a warehouse job at Bronken’s to save up money to move to Portland?
Parents: I worked hard so my kids could have a better life, I don’t want them to have to struggle like I did.
Government: Okay so why don’t we ease the burden of ever increasing tuition so kids don’t start off their professional careers in insurmountable debt.

We already have more kids going to college than need to be, if we’re being honest. Promote trade schools. We have a whole generation of tradesmen retiring and not enough people to replace them. And I quite frankly don’t care to pay for dumb degrees. If we’re going to do that, then be like Germany and tell them what degree they’re going to be getting based on how they test. Don’t test well enough, tough ******, you ain’t goin to school unless you wanna foot the bill.
Indeed. If you think college is expensive now, wait until it's "free."

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm all for any SA making as much as they can. I just hope it doesn't take money away from the program.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:22 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cledus wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
And so it begins.
Good for him.

Indeed. If you think college is expensive now, wait until it's "free."
Are you writing about tuition being "free", because that was the what most state colleges, including MSU, were for many decades.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:35 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Exactly. So I'm a billionaire, own several companies, and I'm a huge Bobcat fan. There's kid graduating high school next Fall, let's say TA caliber, or maybe Brock Osweiler. Can I just pay him a million dollars (he'd just have to endorse one of my companies) to play football at MSU?
Technically, no. You cannot pay them to or for playing. You are paying to (and here’s the key word) profit off of their likeness/image. There won’t be million dollar deals at the FCS level.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:47 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:05 pm
I think the Washington Corp is more interested in slapping their name on stuff not marketing someone else's name. Heck, um still owes millions in loans on their football facility. The Washington Corp could pay that off that um debt with with change from their couch cushions but chooses not to.

I don't think you are going to see any true million dollar endorsement contracts in FCS and probably not in FBS either.
Here is the link to the LSU gymnast lady, Dunne, who people are speculating could make a $million.

https://www.newsweek.com/lsu-gymnast-ol ... il-1606213

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Cledus wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
And so it begins.
Good for him.

I was going to post something similar to this. We as a society have failed many members of the last few generations of kids by telling them that they needed to go to college to succeed in life. We have marginalized and belittled good blue collar occupations and as a result we are staring a huge skilled labor crisis square in the face.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:18 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:47 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:05 pm

Here is the link to the LSU gymnast lady, Dunne, who people are speculating could make a $million.

https://www.newsweek.com/lsu-gymnast-ol ... il-1606213
I was thinking more along the lines of product endorsements, like a wireless network, car dealer, etc.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:25 pm

One of our volleyball players has 75k likes on tiktok. 75000...

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:01 pm

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:04 pm

lutecat wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:25 pm
I think these new rules will blow up Title IX. Gisele versus Tom's salaries come to mind.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:54 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:04 pm
lutecat wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:25 pm
I think these new rules will blow up Title IX. Gisele versus Tom's salaries come to mind.
The money isn’t being given by the universities, so Title IX doesn’t apply.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:59 am

So one athlete just got $2 million for NIL. Explain to me how it's not pay to play

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back