Paying athletes....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Paying athletes....

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 pm

Robbie Hauck is paid $500 every time he jumps on the pile 5 seconds after the play has ended. He has made $100k this year and is the highest paid FCS player.

Punters are people too!!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:56 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:46 pm
Robbie Hauck is paid $500 every time he jumps on the pile 5 seconds after the play has ended. He has made $100k this year and is the highest paid FCS player.
Somehow the exact same joke never gets old.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:05 am

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:39 pm
So here we go. NIL and endorsements for paying college athletes to play sports. How does a community pay for it? How do they cash in so they can pay for the athletes?

Show me the money 💰💰💰💰
I know I spend at least a couple hundred dollars in Bozeman on football game days and that’s if I don’t stay the night in town. I also come to town for basketball games and other university events and I always eat out and visit local stores.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:55 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:09 pm
Couple questions. Two different topics

1) what schools in the FCS playoffs are paying full cost of attendance is it just NDSU, SDSU and JMU? If so three out of five remaining (arguably the top three)

2) Can you pay a kid to attend a school? I thought it was only if they are already on the team then a offer can be made?
I thought UND did too (decision was based on hockey not football).

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:36 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:34 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:22 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:39 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:25 pm
Who cares?

If we’re going to act like it’s still an amateur sport when the coaches are getting paid upwards of $10 million a year, then shame on us.

I got no issue with players getting paid. Good for them.
Ditto.

Though I don’t necessarily like the idea that the richest schools could end up being the only ones competing for championships with no kind of cap on what they can give a kid.

But I have no issues with kids getting a piece of the pie when everyone else is making money on their services.
Is it any different than us and say, Northern Colorado?

We have better facilities, from donor money, we have the QB club that gives money for various things that help. Stadium additions from private money. Schools like Northern Colorado aren’t able to do that. Is that fair? The richest schools are already the only ones that can compete.
I don’t think that is apples to apples but I get your point. I’ve been advocating for players forever so that’s not an issue for me. My concern is this is just the beginning and none of us know yet how bad it could get.

Texas is a great example. They have piles of money and haven’t been nationally relevant forever. Now linemen get 50k a year. What if that turns into a million a year? Maybe more. What if billionaire boosters simply start paying millions to high schoolers to go to school there? Countless scenarios that right now we just don’t know about. But there is a reason that professional teams have salary caps for this exact thing.

The griz are a great example too. They have a billionaire booster. What if he got a wild hair and just reached out to the top 20 recruits in the country and offered them all 2-5 million or so to come up to Missoula?

I’m not naive enough to not understand how big time sports work. No doubt amazing facilities attract great recruits. But in my eyes that is way different than people with unlimited money allowed to pay any amount to any player with no regulation. That was my only point.

I’m happy to see kids making money though. No issue with that at all.
Yup, my sentiments exactly - the Denny example is a good one. Hell, if I was a billionaire I'd probably be giving Bobcat players a lot of money.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:44 pm

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 005618/en/

I'm sure we have some linemen who would be good fits for this type of deal. Chase comes to mind but he's probably too introverted for the WWE.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:13 am

Maybe the R&R will throw some money at Tommy, and we can record a commercial where he's holding his phone and updating his podcast app, you see a notification for a new episode of the R&R and he goes "Hey, podcast!". I wasn't a marketing major at MSU for nuthin'.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:38 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:13 am
Maybe the R&R will throw some money at Tommy, and we can record a commercial where he's holding his phone and updating his podcast app, you see a notification for a new episode of the R&R and he goes "Hey, podcast!". I wasn't a marketing major at MSU for nuthin'.
How much do you think it would cost you guys to get a couple players to put "R&R Cat Cast listener" or something like that in their Twitter/Instagram profiles?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:08 pm

I’m late to the party..

This is one of many I’ve seen like this, but I think there are a lot of positives outside of what we believe big time boosters and programs are going to do revolved around NIL. I believe this all will balance this broken ecosystem, so to speak.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:51 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/r ... uiting-app

High school football player Jaden Rashada signs endorsement deal with recruiting app
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
8:30 AM MT
Dan Murphy
ESPN Staff Writer
Jaden Rashada, one of the best quarterbacks in next year's college football recruiting class, is already cashing in on his budding fame by signing his first endorsement deal, with a recruiting app company, this week.

Rashada, who wrapped up his junior season in Pittsburg, California, as ESPN's top-rated dual-threat quarterback in the 2023 recruiting class, will be paid a four-figure sum to help promote the AIR (Athletes in Recruitment) app via social media posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

While some high school basketball players have signed endorsement deals in recent months, Rashada is believed to be the first high school football player to profit from endorsements since the NCAA changed rules this summer that previously would have made Rashada ineligible to play in college if he accepted money.

"It feels pretty good," Rashada told ESPN. "Maybe it can open up more opportunities for others and people can be more aware of it. It's a blessing to be able to make some money and promote a good brand."

The coveted prospect said he plans to narrow down his list of potential college destinations to his six top choices at some point in the next couple of months. He doesn't think that NIL earning potential will be a factor in where he decides to play.

The ability for NCAA athletes to make money from the rights of their names, images and likenesses was among the most significant changes during a tumultuous year for college sports, but the impact it has on the high school level remains murky in many areas. California is one of at least five states (along with Alaska, Minnesota, New Jersey and New York) that allow high school athletes to accept endorsement money without jeopardizing their eligibility to keep playing.

According to industry experts at Opendorse, there are 15 states that expressly prohibit high schoolers from cashing in on athletic fame either via state law or through their high school sports associations. Most of the country, though, does not have clearly defined rules for high school athletes.

Rashada said he did some of his own research to make sure he was allowed to explore endorsement deals. He also worked with an adviser, Ethan Weinstein, to help secure his first deal. Weinstein is a college junior who represents a handful of college athletes in NIL deals. He has previously worked in the University of Wisconsin recruiting office and interned with agent Drew Rosenhaus.

Weinstein helped connect Rashada with AIR app founder James Sackville, a 24-year-old Australian who founded his company last year after finishing his career as a punter at SMU.

Sackville said AIR is a platform designed to help college coaches, high school athletes and their advisers simplify the process and find good matches. After using current college athletes as a marketing tool in the past several months, Sackville said he intends to dedicate a significant portion of AIR's marketing budget toward working with other college and high school athletes as spokespeople in the coming year.

"There's no better person to talk about recruiting than someone who has recently gone through the process or is currently going through the process," Sackville said. "It's been a resounding success so far, and after talking with Jaden it was a literal no-brainer to work with him."

Rashada said he has worked with Weinstein to make sure anything he ends up endorsing will be a good fit for who he is and won't get in the way of keeping his focus on football and school. He is also partnering with Safeway grocery stores this winter to provide food gift cards for the homeless population near his hometown in Northern California.

He said that some people around him were skeptical about a high school junior taking a step toward professionalism at his age but that he sees it as a learning opportunity. Rashada said he's interested in getting into the sports agency business in the future.

Rashada said exploring NIL deals hasn't changed his attitude toward football and his future career.

"I was already handling it like a business in recruiting when I'm talking to coaches," he said. "They're offering me $200,000 in education, so it didn't feel much different. It was just a few more things to learn."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:08 pm

kwcat wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:51 pm
a four-figure sum