Paying athletes....

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Paying athletes....

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:25 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:25 am
There is a chance it actually works in our (FCS/Bobcats) favor. Is TA worth more to some sponsor from Utah or Oregon than he is to a Montana sponsor. He's a Montana ranch kid playing on a Montana team. In reality he might be worth more to a John Deere or Murdoch's if he stays here. He's not going to mean much in another state. While I think he could get paid just to get him to move based on the speculation he will make a splash, his NIL is already worth something here.

A bird in the hand...
That is a really good point.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:05 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:13 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:05 pm
You know you grew up in Montana when you read the hashtag as NILE Experience, not NIL Experience. Why is the BSC tweeting about rodeo? :-k

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:38 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:13 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:05 pm
You know you grew up in Montana when you read the hashtag as NILE Experience, not NIL Experience. Why is the BSC tweeting about rodeo? :-k
:lol: guilty as charged.

That said, they did always have one night of the NILE rodeo that was Cats vs. Griz night. One side of the metra was reserved for fans wearing blue and gold and the other for those wearing dark pink.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:02 am

Here is a b baller that will be making a ton...

https://www.espn.com/high-school/story/ ... tball-star

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:23 am

This will ultimately help keep athletes in college for longer. Good for college, good for the professional leagues.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:31 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:02 am

This is interesting. The MHSA has come out and said that Montana high school athletes are not allowed to enter NIL deals.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:31 am
RickRund wrote:

This is interesting. The MHSA has come out and said that Montana high school athletes are not allowed to enter NIL deals.

I don't recall a Montana kid who would have been recruited by one of the national high school powers. Osweiller as a junior high kid?

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:29 pm

Cataholic wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Looks like he goes to a private school and plays for Vertical Academy, which must not be competing interscholastically. The National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) still has amateur rules that prevent high school players from earning more than something like $75. If you're not participating in interscholastic sports I guess it doesn't really matter. Here in MT that's the only option kids have really, unless they move away and play in another state for a traveling team. It will be interesting to see if the NFHS will loosen their rules about amateur status, but there aren't really any high schools making big bucks off interscholastic sports...save maybe a few football programs in TX.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:42 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:29 pm
Cataholic wrote:
RickRund wrote:

Looks like he goes to a private school and plays for Vertical Academy, which must not be competing interscholastically. The National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) still has amateur rules that prevent high school players from earning more than something like $75. If you're not participating in interscholastic sports I guess it doesn't really matter. Here in MT that's the only option kids have really, unless they move away and play in another state for a traveling team. It will be interesting to see if the NFHS will loosen their rules about amateur status, but there aren't really any high schools making big bucks off interscholastic sports...save maybe a few football programs in TX.
I know William Avery transferred to Oak Hill from Westside in Augusta about the same time Kevin Garnett transferred to one of the schools in Chicago. That McDonald's camp across the river from Augusta in Aiken, South Carolina gets some pretty impressive middle school kids on top of all the high school kids.

https://www.oakhillhoops.com/

Lots of money involved with the elite high school teams. Kind of nice to know that Tennesse doesn't let parochial schools play in their high school classification(s) and while I was in Georgia the GHSA used either a 1.3 or 1.5 multiplier for enrollment classifications. Wish to hell Montana would do that too.

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Montana State doesn't have anything to worry about with NIL, this really is the NCAA getting away with not having to pay athletes themselves, which is fine, if kids want to attend college and get an education that still exists. Think about this, there is only a handful of professional athletes that land sponsorship deals, company's aren't going to start sponsoring college kids. Granted some kids will get opportunities, but not many. This is why i always contend its better being a big fish in a small pond, hey 5 stars, come to MSU and get sponsored by the RBAR or Murdochs. The real questions is can Brent Vegin recruit, and i'm not convinced yet.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:18 pm

NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:10 pm
Montana State doesn't have anything to worry about with NIL, this really is the NCAA getting away with not having to pay athletes themselves, which is fine, if kids want to attend college and get an education that still exists. Think about this, there is only a handful of professional athletes that land sponsorship deals, company's aren't going to start sponsoring college kids. Granted some kids will get opportunities, but not many. This is why i always contend its better being a big fish in a small pond, hey 5 stars, come to MSU and get sponsored by the RBAR or Murdochs. The real questions is can Brent Vegin recruit, and i'm not convinced yet.
How can you possibly not be convinced that Brent VIGEN can recruit when he's already been here for less than a full offseason after being hired post-signing day? ](*,)

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:47 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:18 pm
NOCOcat2005 wrote:
How can you possibly not be convinced that Brent VIGEN can recruit when he's already been here for less than a full offseason after being hired post-signing day? ](*,)
:lol:

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:47 pm
coloradocat wrote:
NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Well, you gotta admit, he still hasn't recruited who's been worth a damn in all that time!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:45 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Well, you gotta admit, he still hasn't recruited who's been worth a damn in all that time!!
Time will tell, I think Jordan Reed might be a decent QB. I’m curious who are the three defensive transfers they recently signed. Hehl may be one of them, but I don’t know who the other two are.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:16 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Can't argue that. It's like Choate being so crappy he hasn't even won a game at Texas yet. :wink:

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 am

Looks like my idea of fan sites sponsoring players for promotion and exclusive content wasn’t at all off base.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.hookem ... 8086690002

Orangebloods signs Texas athletes Jordan Whittington, Ivan Melendez for interview access

Website hoping to have men’s, women’s athletes for long-form interviews to build out YouTube channel

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:03 am

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 am
Looks like my idea of fan sites sponsoring players for promotion and exclusive content wasn’t at all off base.

Orangebloods signs Texas athletes Jordan Whittington, Ivan Melendez for interview access

Website hoping to have men’s, women’s athletes for long-form interviews to build out YouTube channel
Would be curious to get Colter's perspective on this. If I understand it correctly, a bunch of us on this site could pool our money together and ask Troy Andersen if he would take $$ to only get interviewed by Bobcat Nation. So the Colters of the world would have not access to him. Not sure if I like this concept but what do you do.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:38 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:03 am
PapaG wrote:

Would be curious to get Colter's perspective on this. If I understand it correctly, a bunch of us on this site could pool our money together and ask Troy Andersen if he would take $$ to only get interviewed by Bobcat Nation. So the Colters of the world would have not access to him. Not sure if I like this concept but what do you do.
Based on the article it sounds like these guys will still do regular media availability (post-game press conferences) they just won't do any special interviews with anyone else. In your scenario Troy would still answer questions after the games but couldn't go on the radio show.

Maybe R&R can sponsor a couple guys for a weekly 10 minute call into their podcast. I'd think an extra sponsor would probably cover the cost. Or they call just pay them in Golden Coolies! :D

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:39 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:38 am
catatac wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:03 am
PapaG wrote:

Based on the article it sounds like these guys will still do regular media availability (post-game press conferences) they just won't do any special interviews with anyone else. In your scenario Troy would still answer questions after the games but couldn't go on the radio show.

Maybe R&R can sponsor a couple guys for a weekly 10 minute call into their podcast. I'd think an extra sponsor would probably cover the cost. Or they call just pay them in Golden Coolies! :D
Ha, we actually had a brief discussion about that, but decided that’s just not how we wana roll.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast