BSC mystery

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: BSC mystery

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:53 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 pm
Saw on a different site that BSC is moving to ESPN+ This fall. Done deal. My experience with ESPN + isn’t entirely positive. I still hope we get Root for big games. They do a pretty good job imo.
Yeah, moving to ESPN+ doesn’t do anything about the quality of the broadcasts. Moving networks just means we have to pay to watch the Cats instead of watching for free on Pluto.
Moving away from Root would be a huge setback. They do a phenomenal job. Using ESPN+ for any games that Root doesn’t pick up would be okay. I am assuming that ESPN+ would use local production like SWX for the broadcast. This could be a great development for those out of the SWX broadcast area.
Yeah, losing Root would be horrible, they are the best production crew around. I believe using ESPN+ as the broadcast source wouldn’t change a thing for the Cats other than we fans would have to pay for ESPN+. The question is what do the other Big Sky schools use. I remember the last Cat game at Cal Poly wasn’t the best quality production and the out of conference game at Western Illinois was atrocious. That WIU game was on ESPN+ too. If all the games had a standardized production team like SWX, then the broadcast source being Pluto or ESPN+ is irrelevant to me, other than Pluto is free.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Saw on a different site that BSC is moving to ESPN+ This fall. Done deal. My experience with ESPN + isn’t entirely positive. I still hope we get Root for big games. They do a pretty good job imo.
Yeah, moving to ESPN+ doesn’t do anything about the quality of the broadcasts. Moving networks just means we have to pay to watch the Cats instead of watching for free on Pluto.
"Pay" to watch :-k

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Moving away from Root would be a huge setback. They do a phenomenal job. Using ESPN+ for any games that Root doesn’t pick up would be okay. I am assuming that ESPN+ would use local production like SWX for the broadcast. This could be a great development for those out of the SWX broadcast area.
Yeah, losing Root would be horrible, they are the best production crew around. I believe using ESPN+ as the broadcast source wouldn’t change a thing for the Cats other than we fans would have to pay for ESPN+. The question is what do the other Big Sky schools use. I remember the last Cat game at Cal Poly wasn’t the best quality production and the out of conference game at Western Illinois was atrocious. That WIU game was on ESPN+ too. If all the games had a standardized production team like SWX, then the broadcast source being Pluto or ESPN+ is irrelevant to me, other than Pluto is free.
I don't want to have to pay to watch the games but I especially don't want to have to pay if the feed regularly cuts out (or never begins in the first place). If I remember correctly that wasn't a Pluto problem so the same issues would carry over to ESPN+. The schools would make more money but I don't see them spending those funds on better TV production. The move would be a lose-lose for fans if production isn't fixed conference-wide.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:46 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
I don't want to have to pay to watch the games but I especially don't want to have to pay if the feed regularly cuts out (or never begins in the first place). If I remember correctly that wasn't a Pluto problem so the same issues would carry over to ESPN+. The schools would make more money but I don't see them spending those funds on better TV production. The move would be a lose-lose for fans if production isn't fixed conference-wide.
Bingo

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:47 pm

Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Agreed on all accounts, just hope Root keeps some of the games.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 am

As a cable "cord cutter" I think this is great news. Not only will games available to anyone across the country, but it seems like they could be available on demand to re-watch.

I think Root has done a nice job, but I think ESPN+ provides greater access.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:39 am

When does the Root contract run out? Since they refuse to stream games, those of us that live outside MT might be better off with the conference moving all games to ESPN+ even if we have to pay for it for a couple months each year.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:13 am

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:15 am

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 am
As a cable "cord cutter" I think this is great news. Not only will games available to anyone across the country, but it seems like they could be available on demand to re-watch.

As someone that lived in Eastern Montana for years I can't tell you how unbelievably annoying it was to not be able to watch Bobcat games. We had a bar/restaurant with people in it FOR THE GAME and we couldn't get it.

This is a great step IMO.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:22 am

Doesn’t say how Root coverage will be affected. I am guessing Pluto is out, but even that is not clear.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:22 am

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:23 am

Root is probably out? How does this affect the SWX stations broadcasts?

Last edited by Hawks86 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:26 am

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:32 am

Increased exposure should give a little bump in recruiting...granted, all the BSC schools get that same bump.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am

Per the Griz release (yuck, I had to go read it), ROOT will still broadcast games.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 am
wbtfg wrote:

As someone that lived in Eastern Montana for years I can't tell you how unbelievably annoying it was to not be able to watch Bobcat games. We had a bar/restaurant with people in it FOR THE GAME and we couldn't get it.

Hopefully we don't have any games on ESPN U.....that's just annoying.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:34 am

Hopefully the ESPNU games are also available on ESPN+.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

You might not want to read the press release then.
Last edited by AFCAT on Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:45 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 am
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

You might not want to read there press release then.
Sam Herder is assuming Cat/griz will be one of the ESPN U games (a good assumption).