Thelen to Montana Tech

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Thelen to Montana Tech

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:08 pm

I just saw that Blake Thelen is now at Montana Tech. Good for him. He should thrive at Tech.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Thelen to Montana Tech

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:16 pm

I think he will dominate there. I was told by a former FCS QB he was the heir apparent here and our best young QB. I’m guessing this will be like Mcqueary when he went and tore up the Frontier.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:16 pm
I think he will dominate there. I was told by a former FCS QB he was the heir apparent here and our best young QB. I’m guessing this will be like Mcqueary when he went and tore up the Frontier.
Heir apparent behind potentially three other QBs though? I think the problem Thelen was facing is that he was not ahead of Bauman and Bauman is only a year older. I get the feeling we are going to end up with an NFL drafted caliber QB from MSU when it's all said and done.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Heir apparent behind potentially three other QBs though? I think the problem Thelen was facing is that he was not ahead of Bauman and Bauman is only a year older. I get the feeling we are going to end up with an NFL drafted caliber QB from MSU when it's all said and done.
Have we ever had one of those? I can’t recall one.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 am

catatac wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Only passing on what a former QB with ties to MSU has said. According to him, Thelen was a future QB here for sure and I think you are wrong to assume Bauman was in front of him. Even just watching the spring game I think it was easy to say Thelen outperformed Bauman and some others. Anyways I know there are others here with ties to the program who also heard nothing but great things about the future of Thelen here. I’m hoping they will chime in as well.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:38 am

It was reported by Colter that Bauman was running as the #2 and him and Rovig were fighting for the spot. It isn’t as assumption that Bauman was ahead.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:41 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 am
catatac wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Only passing on what a former QB with ties to MSU has said. According to him, Thelen was a future QB here for sure and I think you are wrong to assume Bauman was in front of him. Even just watching the spring game I think it was easy to say Thelen outperformed Bauman and some others. Anyways I know there are others here with ties to the program who also heard nothing but great things about the future of Thelen here. I’m hoping they will chime in as well.
Thelen definitely outperformed Bauman in the Spring game. Bauman didn't play in the Spring game though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:44 am

Yes, he had a good spring game. He showed promise and potential to be a good one. He also sat behind 2 Juniors and a Soph. on the depth chart. This game we love so much is also very unpredictable. I would not take a bet on who the starting QB will be in '22.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:08 am

It sounds like Thelen was the second best QB on the roster this spring, but Vigen likes Bauman. Being a QB developer, he must like the raw package Bauman offers. But Vigen still wants to get HIS GUY in there too. There are a lot of guys on the roster and not one is somebody he recruited, which means he might still get somebody in there that's exactly who he wants to work with. He recruited Sean Austin a little bit at Wyoming, so I know he likes him. That's a lot of uncertainty for a young QB in this program. I don't blame Thelen a bit for wanting to go play somewhere else. I hope he lights up the Frontier!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:38 am
It was reported by Colter that Bauman was running as the #2 and him and Rovig were fighting for the spot. It isn’t as assumption that Bauman was ahead.
Yes, that’s what I was referring to.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am

Playing time is important but I think another underrated aspect that hasn't been talked about is scholarship money. Tuition isn't cheap and last I heard Thelen wasn't getting any athletic aid from MSU. I'd have to assume he's getting a full ride at Tech.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 am
catatac wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
I don't believe so but it's aboutdammtime! Recently... I'd say our best three candidates were Lulay, McGhee, and Prukop - and I'm still thinking Lulay could have played QB in the NFL.

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:28 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
I don't believe so but it's aboutdammtime! Recently... I'd say our best three candidates were Lulay, McGhee, and Prukop - and I'm still thinking Lulay could have played QB in the NFL.
I dunno if he was good enough to play in the NFL, but he most definitely could've made a roster and hold a clipboard as well as Nick Foles does.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:08 pm

catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
McGhee was on Mel Kiper's top 5 draftable QB's pre-season his Senior year, but his injury and tanking (sure looked to be about 60% his last year in Bozeman) took him off draft boards

Lulay, like just about any CFL MOP who won a Grey Cup MVP, could've played in the NFL. Plenty of historical precedent (Warren Moon, Joe Theismann, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, etc.) I just don't think the CFL level of play is profoundly lower - look at what Singleton did last year, after not getting a shot in the NFL he tore up the CFL - so he gets an NFL chance, and was at a rate to be the NFL's tackle leader for games started his first season.

I think Prukop could've had a chance of being drafted at QB if he had a redshirt/xfr season to learn/prep at Oregon (didn't he get replaced mid-season by a #1 overall pick?) OR if he would've taken Saban's offer at Alabama and won the starting job - that Offense would've made him look so damn good. I don't think he would've had a chance if he stayed at MSU.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:06 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am
Playing time is important but I think another underrated aspect that hasn't been talked about is scholarship money. Tuition isn't cheap and last I heard Thelen wasn't getting any athletic aid from MSU. I'd have to assume he's getting a full ride at Tech.
You are right on the money. The difference between Blake and Quinn is that Quinn was a full ride at MSU and wanted to play right away vs. Blake making a a move for a scholarship. Blake would still be at MSU if he would have received more money. It’s a tough situation, because MT QBs sometimes need more time to develop and the money is already spent when they are ready.

Sucks to see Blake leave, but I don’t blame him.

If your left, you aren’t right.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:21 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am
Do NAIA teams have full rides that aren’t grants? I ask because I don’t know. Where does their scholarship money come from unless it’s boosters?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:24 am

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:28 pm
catatac wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
I dunno if he was good enough to play in the NFL, but he most definitely could've made a roster and hold a clipboard as well as Nick Foles does.
Nick Foles won a SB while playing pretty well. I think people underestimate how good backup QB’s in the NFL are compared to college QB’s.