Wood in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Wood in portal

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:56 am

I'm drawing a blank on his name, but the CB from Skyview who started Ash's last year and early in Choate's first year before being benched late. He went to Utah before ultimately ending up at Southern Illinois.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:00 am

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:56 am
I'm drawing a blank on his name, but the CB from Skyview who started Ash's last year and early in Choate's first year before being benched late. He went to Utah before ultimately ending up at Southern Illinois.
Tre'von Strong. You can go look at past football rosters on MSU Bobcats.com

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:40 pm

Jason Goodman - TE for MSU his freshman year, got hurt, transferred to UW (or walked on, not sure) but got hurt even worse there and left the team before ever playing, finished his career playing basketball for UGF. That's quite the trajectory.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:57 pm

VimSinceO3 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:45 pm
gtapp wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:38 pm
An MBA from St. Thomas is equivalent to one from Wharton or Harvard now days.
Source? Looking at admissions, their MBA program looks pretty average, and no major publications even place it in the top 50 from what I can tell. US news doesn't even have St. Thomas in top 100.
That is surprising. Locally it is a big deal. Most students try and get into St. Thomas first and if they fail they go to the U of Minnesota.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:49 am

The one corner back that went to Utah.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:44 am

gtapp wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:57 pm
VimSinceO3 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Source? Looking at admissions, their MBA program looks pretty average, and no major publications even place it in the top 50 from what I can tell. US news doesn't even have St. Thomas in top 100.
That is surprising. Locally it is a big deal. Most students try and get into St. Thomas first and if they fail they go to the U of Minnesota.
If they can afford St. Thomas. :shrug:

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:24 am

VimSinceO3 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
An imposter Vim appears... :-k

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:24 am
VimSinceO3 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I saw that the other day and I thought it might be some sort of a glitch and now I see he/she just added an O instead of a zero. Sneaky.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
VimSinceO3 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I saw that the other day and I thought it might be some sort of a glitch and now I see he/she just added an O instead of a zero. Sneaky.
Not gonna lie, he's a decent Vim.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:53 pm
AFCAT wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
VimSinceO3 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
O3 is Ozone, so to avoid confusion we can call the poster Ozone VIM.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:32 pm

CatBot wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:28 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:53 pm
AFCAT wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
VimSinceO3 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
O3 is Ozone, so to avoid confusion we can call the poster Ozone VIM.
How about ‘Imposter Ozone Vim’

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:17 pm

How about Cosplay Frozone Vim - good, but not as good as the real thing

Edit - crap....I can't even get my linky thingy to work. Maybe I'm the imposter. :-)

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Edit - crap....I can't even get my linky thingy to work. Maybe I'm the imposter. :-)

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:09 am

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:17 pm

:lol:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm

I'm not a fan of this or any other transfer like this. I know I'll get bashed on this site (not for the first or last time) but I feel that you are letting your teammates and fans and school down when you leave for your final year. I felt that way about Prukop and I feel that way about Wood. Go ahead and let me have it.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm
I'm not a fan of this or any other transfer like this. I know I'll get bashed on this site (not for the first or last time) but I feel that you are letting your teammates and fans and school down when you leave for your final year. I felt that way about Prukop and I feel that way about Wood. Go ahead and let me have it.
Yeah, you can look at it like that. Or you can look at it as he gave you everything he had for the years he was here and now he had the opportunity to live out his dream of playing at the highest level of college football. I’m sure the hardest part would be leaving your teammates behind.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:22 am

ND0479 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Yeah, you can look at it like that. Or you can look at it as he gave you everything he had for the years he was here and now he had the opportunity to live out his dream of playing at the highest level of college football. I’m sure the hardest part would be leaving your teammates behind.
Some people were really hard on Dakota. I still feel strongly they were wrong. He had a chance to get more exposure and play professional football. Dakota loved MSU and his teammates. He still has his good friend Manny Kalfel on his Twitter banner. Dakota also graduated and there was a coaching change. He was a class act.

The parallels with Wood are amazing. New Coach and graduated. Chance to get more exposure and play professionally. Good for him!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:55 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Wood graduated and his chosen post-graduate degree isn't offered at MSU. What was he supposed to do, put that off for at least a semester and take some joke classes this fall instead? I don't like the term student-athlete (it's just the academic Orwellian version of "player" or "athlete") but these guys do generally come here for school so once they're done with that part they can do whatever they want.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:05 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:22 am
ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Some people were really hard on Dakota. I still feel strongly they were wrong. He had a chance to get more exposure and play professional football. Dakota loved MSU and his teammates. He still has his good friend Manny Kalfel on his Twitter banner. Dakota also graduated and there was a coaching change. He was a class act.

The parallels with Wood are amazing. New Coach and graduated. Chance to get more exposure and play professionally. Good for him!
If you’re good, they’ll find you. There have been several D2 and D3 OL drafted fairly high recently.

I understand players wanting to go play at a higher level, it’s what competitive players will do. At the same time, it seems disrespectful to the school that gave you the chance to compete at the collegiate level. To me, it takes some of the amateurism out of the sport, and I just don’t like it.

With all that said, I hope it works out for the kid. Wish him no ill will. But when I go back and look at my favorite Bobcat players, guys like him and Prukop won’t be on the list. Nothing personal, just how I feel about it.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:19 am

ND0479 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
I can see both sides of this, but the one thing that always bothers me is when people talk about players playing at the highest level. Yes I understand the concept of wanting to test yourself against the best players, but I really don't think it improves the NFL prospects in the majority of cases. Last, in terms of that "feeling" players get when entering the stadium for a "big time" program versus our cute little school here, I'd argue any college player isn't going to top that "feeling" these players have in Bobcat Stadium when our atmosphere is electric and they come out and stomp the Griz, or beat teams in the playoffs, etc. It's not going to be a better feeling when they enter the stadium at Alabama, IMO.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!