Wood in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Wood in portal

Post by lutecat » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:10 am

I mean if the season's a bust and you have this kid behind you that needs experience and ends up being drafted, I don't know, something like top 6 in the NFL draft, were you a bust?

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:46 am

lutecat wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:10 am
I mean if the season's a bust and you have this kid behind you that needs experience and ends up being drafted, I don't know, something like top 6 in the NFL draft, were you a bust?
I believe Oregon HC Helfrich got it all wrong. His defense is stinking the place up so he replaces the QB half-way through the season. I think It's somewhat ironic the new quarterback is the younger brother of one of Prukop's favorite targets at MSU. By then the HC has to know he's on his way out so his "Hail Mary" is a talented true freshman, who has now burned his redshirt, to almost duplicate what Prukop had done...2-4 each. Prukop's team averaged 37 ppg, Herbert's 34 ppg. The OC on that team was Matt Lubick.

Back to Wood. Eight of the eleven offensive linemen recruited by Coach Choate in his first two years at MSU are now gone. The result...the Cats are going to have a young offensive line with eleven freshmen behind two sophomores, two juniors and two seniors.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:52 pm

FYI wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:46 am
lutecat wrote:
I believe Oregon HC Helfrich got it all wrong. His defense is stinking the place up so he replaces the QB half-way through the season. I think It's somewhat ironic the new quarterback is the younger brother of one of Prukop's favorite targets at MSU. By then the HC has to know he's on his way out so his "Hail Mary" is a talented true freshman, who has now burned his redshirt, to almost duplicate what Prukop had done...2-4 each. Prukop's team averaged 37 ppg, Herbert's 34 ppg. The OC on that team was Matt Lubick.

Back to Wood. Eight of the eleven offensive linemen recruited by Coach Choate in his first two years at MSU are now gone. The result...the Cats are going to have a young offensive line with eleven freshmen behind two sophomores, two juniors and two seniors.
Regarding the O-Line, those 2016 recruits are entering year 6 of eligibility. In a more normal world, all of them would already have exhausted their eligibility. The 2017 recruits would normally be redshirt seniors. The sophomores are in their 4th year in the program, which means they are 21 or 22, so I wouldn't exactly call that a "young" o-line when the average age is around 23.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:08 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:52 pm
FYI wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Regarding the O-Line, those 2016 recruits are entering year 6 of eligibility. In a more normal world, all of them would already have exhausted their eligibility. The 2017 recruits would normally be redshirt seniors. The sophomores are in their 4th year in the program, which means they are 21 or 22, so I wouldn't exactly call that a "young" o-line when the average age is around 23.
Actually, I'm referring to their years of experience on the college football field. Their chronological age has not much to do with it. Mitch Brott is one whose gone. He was one of Choates early recruits, had a great career, started as a true frosh and finished in four. I'm not trying to endite anyone. The fact is the current group of offensive linemen lack playing experience overall. Not necessarily a problem if the talent is there. The Cats have had young yet talented lines before.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:59 pm

FYI wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:08 pm
onceacat wrote:
FYI wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Actually, I'm referring to their years of experience on the college football field. Their chronological age has not much to do with it. Mitch Brott is one whose gone. He was one of Choates early recruits, had a great career, started as a true frosh and finished in four. I'm not trying to endite anyone. The fact is the current group of offensive linemen lack playing experience overall. Not necessarily a problem if the talent is there. The Cats have had young yet talented lines before.
Hmmm, I felt like we had 3 or 4 lineman that had a bunch of starts under their belts... maybe I'm wrong.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:22 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:59 pm
FYI wrote:
onceacat wrote:
FYI wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Hmmm, I felt like we had 3 or 4 lineman that had a bunch of starts under their belts... maybe I'm wrong.
O-lineman playing 5 years and not going to NFL is rarely happening. Recruit 5 a year and hope 2 graduate while playing football.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:30 pm

P
Last edited by AFCAT on Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:34 pm

FYI wrote:
onceacat wrote:
FYI wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Mitch Brott was an Ash recruit and he redshirted his true freshman year in 2015.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:34 pm
FYI wrote:
onceacat wrote:
FYI wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Mitch Brott was an Ash recruit and he redshirted his true freshman year in 2015.
And, to the best of my knowledge, all the 2016 incoming frosh were also Ash recruits. Who would be 6th year seniors today. Every single one of Choates recruits has two full years of eligibility left (unless they played as a true frosh...in which case they could still take a redshirt year.)

Also, I disagree about the age. An o-lineman with an extra year in the gym is totally different at that age. Yeah, there are a couple of relatively inexperienced guys with regards to games....but that aren’t “young” by any stretch of the imagination.

Those “sophomores” will be graduates in a year.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:34 am

FYI wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Prukop had a good game against one good FBS school. Herbert played better (at minimum similar) against a tougher schedule. Can’t just look at the total stats.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:50 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:34 am
FYI wrote:
lutecat wrote:

Prukop had a good game against one good FBS school. Herbert played better (at minimum similar) against a tougher schedule. Can’t just look at the total stats.
I'm not talking about Prukop vs. Hebert...my point was "Oregon HC Helfrich got it all wrong". I believe you improved my point. And you are probably correct about the schedule. Prukop beat Davis and Virginia; Herbert beat Oregon St. and Utah.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:28 pm

Helfrich was a disaster of a coach.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:49 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:28 pm
Helfrich was a disaster of a coach.
Helfrich owes Marcus Mariota every cent of the extension he received after coaching a solid but not great roster to the CFP title game where they finally got overmatched by NFL players all over the field for Ohio State.

Odd coincidences but a fraternity brother of mine who walked-on at MSU was the QB for Marshfield/Coos Bay in HS and Mark was his direct successor. They’re good friends and Helf is a great assistant coach, which was obvious meeting him, but not head guy because he doesn’t fill up the room.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:40 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:42 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:40 pm
Man...that's just so awesome for Connor!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 pm

[quote=VimSince03 post_id=732181 time=1623364940 user_id=21619]
[quote=AFCAT post_id=732180 time=1623364804 user_id=22330]
[media]https://twitter.com/connorwoody75/statu ... 4621163522[/media]
[/quote]

Man...that's just so awesome for Connor!
[/quote]

Wow. Yeah. Best of luck to him.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Not bad.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:26 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Need to start watching/following Mizzou, Congrats Mr. Wood. This made start to think, wonder how often FCS move up to FBS. Prukop and now Wood, before them who else from MSU have moved up?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:39 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:26 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Need to start watching/following Mizzou, Congrats Mr. Wood. This made start to think, wonder how often FCS move up to FBS. Prukop and now Wood, before them who else from MSU have moved up?
In the last few years, Mekhi Metcalf to ASU and he is still on their roster. Koby Duru went to San Diego State and is still on the roster. A couple took indirect routes via Junior College, including Cam Sutton and Edward Vander. Bruggman via grad transfer. None of them played much.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:14 am

Deonte King had a solid career at ASU.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast