Wood in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Wood in portal

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:22 am

aucat wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:02 am
It boils down to what is best for the individual, not the team. GIven the fact that Wood has already received his degree, I am fine with him doing what he is doing. If he had NOT graduated, I wouldn't like it.
Don't these two sentences kind of contradict one another? What if he hadn't graduated but still was doing what he thought was best for him either athletically or academically?

2005Grad
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2005Grad » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:45 pm

aucat wrote:
It boils down to what is best for the individual, not the team. I agree with the posts that the FCS is becoming a farm league for the FBS. One reason I have enjoyed FCS is because it is not poisoned by the huge money that the FBS is. GIven the fact that Wood has already received his degree, I am fine with him doing what he is doing. If he had NOT graduated, I wouldn't like it. If you are a dominant player on the FCS level, there will certainly be opportunities for making it to the NFL. One risk of jumping to the FBS is, given the competition, you may end up getting lost in the shuffle.

For example, remember when Dakota Prukup was tearing it up at MSU? Sadly we had no defense in those years, but he was putting up huge numbers. Then he transferred to Oregon and I don't think he achieved any success there.
I think you make a great point. On one hand we have Connor (possibly) moving up to the FBS then we have Lewis Kidd who is staying at MSU. There is a possibility that both paths will lead to the opportunity to play at the next level. I guess we will see.

Cat-Griz Saturday is my favorite day of the year.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:51 pm

One thing that I think does benefit the FCS is NDSU's success in having players drafted. They've proven you can get drafted and drafted in the first few rounds straight out of the FCS. But like aucat said for every Jabril Cox story (honestly he may have been drafted higher had he stayed at NDSU) there is a Gage Gubrud or Keven Thomson who squandered a senior season and severely hurt their NFL stock by transferring to the FBS.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:36 pm

aucat wrote:
It boils down to what is best for the individual, not the team. I agree with the posts that the FCS is becoming a farm league for the FBS. One reason I have enjoyed FCS is because it is not poisoned by the huge money that the FBS is. GIven the fact that Wood has already received his degree, I am fine with him doing what he is doing. If he had NOT graduated, I wouldn't like it. If you are a dominant player on the FCS level, there will certainly be opportunities for making it to the NFL. One risk of jumping to the FBS is, given the competition, you may end up getting lost in the shuffle.

For example, remember when Dakota Prukup was tearing it up at MSU? Sadly we had no defense in those years, but he was putting up huge numbers. Then he transferred to Oregon and I don't think he achieved any success there.
Yeah, he is still playing in CFL, just not the NFL he hoped to shine in. Got benched for the future QB to gain experience

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:36 pm
aucat wrote:

Yeah, he is still playing in CFL, just not the NFL he hoped to shine in. Got benched for the future QB to gain experience
Prukup would have been a member of the MSU Hall of Fame if he would have stayed his senior year. Instead he was benched his senior year at Oregon. Probably not the way he imagined his senior year going...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:48 pm
Montanabob wrote:
aucat wrote:

Prukup would have been a member of the MSU Hall of Fame if he would have stayed his senior year. Instead he was benched his senior year at Oregon. Probably not the way he imagined his senior year going...
Yet, I bet if you asked him he'd say he had no regrets shooting his shot.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
aucat wrote:

You're right in that he probably would have had a big senior year, but his performance at Oregon didn't really play into his benching either. That Oregon team - like the MSU team the year before - sorely underperformed on defense. When the season was "lost", yes he was benched, for a future NFL QB to basically get free live practice time for the next year.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:18 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
aucat wrote:

[/quote

You're right in that he probably would have had a big senior year, but his performance at Oregon didn't really play into his benching either. That Oregon team - like the MSU team the year before - sorely underperformed on defense. When the season was "lost", yes he was benched, for a future NFL QB to basically get free live practice time for the next year.
I don't know. It seems to me the FCS gets more enrichment from the FBS than the other way around. Prukop is one of the very few Bobcats to have moved out and up. But the Bobcats always seem to have one or many more coming in from the FBS.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:23 pm

KittieKop wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
aucat wrote:

Those MSU and Oregon teams were so much alike. Explosive offensives and all-time bad defenses. Did Jamie a Marshall ever get another DC job? Ash kept that dead weight around way too long and was a part in him being let go.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:48 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:23 pm
KittieKop wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
aucat wrote:

Those MSU and Oregon teams were so much alike. Explosive offensives and all-time bad defenses. Did Jamie a Marshall ever get another DC job? Ash kept that dead weight around way too long and was a part in him being let go.
Had to go look, but he was at Lindenwood for a bit and now is a head coach at a high school in Iowa.

https://twitter.com/coachjmarshall?lang=en

Went down a rabbit hole and it looks like it's at his old high school. https://103wjod.com/wahlert-names-new-h ... all-coach/

Sorry to derail the thread.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:50 pm

coachouert wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:48 pm
Had to go look, but he was at Lindenwood for a bit and now is a head coach at a high school in Iowa.

https://twitter.com/coachjmarshall?lang=en

Went down a rabbit hole and it looks like it's at his old high school. https://103wjod.com/wahlert-names-new-h ... all-coach/

Sorry to derail the thread.
Not a lot of demand at the college level and higher for defenses that can't stop 4th and 15.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:09 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:51 pm
One thing that I think does benefit the FCS is NDSU's success in having players drafted. They've proven you can get drafted and drafted in the first few rounds straight out of the FCS. But like aucat said for every Jabril Cox story (honestly he may have been drafted higher had he stayed at NDSU) there is a Gage Gubrud or Keven Thomson who squandered a senior season and severely hurt their NFL stock by transferring to the FBS.
I mean, Kevin Thompson didn’t really squander anything since Sac didn’t play games. I guess Thompson could have come back for ANOTHER year.

And if I remember correctly, didn’t Gubrud lose his starting job as a senior before transferring?

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:44 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:22 am
aucat wrote:
It boils down to what is best for the individual, not the team. GIven the fact that Wood has already received his degree, I am fine with him doing what he is doing. If he had NOT graduated, I wouldn't like it.
Don't these two sentences kind of contradict one another? What if he hadn't graduated but still was doing what he thought was best for him either athletically or academically?
Yeah, probably not very clear. My point is, is IF Wood still had two years to go academically to go along with two years of football eligibility, and he jumped ship, no, I would not like it. I think it is selfish and frankly I don't really think it is in the best interests of the player. Sure you play before more fans and media, but you may end up not even getting the playing time expected with the FBS team, who knows? I much prefer a player who is loyal to his institution. But since Connor Wood has graduated and apparently wants to pursue a Masters degree that MSU doesn't offer, I can understand and support his move.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:09 pm

Next man up. Go Cats!

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:35 am

I don’t like to se this, but you can’t blame these kids in positions like Conner. He graduated, has done very well at BSC, and wants an opportunity to prove himself at he next level. I love the Cats, but if he were my kid I’d support this type of situation. Good luck and represent us well!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 am

Here's an interesting article on the new transfer rules and how "tampering" is occurring in all levels of college football. Some coaches get around the rules of not contacting players by having former players or their high school head coach do the recruiting for them. I have to think that may have happened with Wood since he got offers so fast

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ree-agency

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:33 am

aucat wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:44 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:22 am
aucat wrote:
Yeah, probably not very clear. My point is, is IF Wood still had two years to go academically to go along with two years of football eligibility, and he jumped ship, no, I would not like it. I think it is selfish and frankly I don't really think it is in the best interests of the player. Sure you play before more fans and media, but you may end up not even getting the playing time expected with the FBS team, who knows? I much prefer a player who is loyal to his institution. But since Connor Wood has graduated and apparently wants to pursue a Masters degree that MSU doesn't offer, I can understand and support his move.
I gotcha. I think many people share your view. I'm just one who supports the guys no matter what, and never think it's selfish if they move on. I don't care if it's a walk-on or Troy Andersen. There's a lot going on within the program that we fans know nothing about. If a kid decides to move on for whatever reason, that's none of my business and I'll support it fully.

Don't get me wrong. I hate losing players who I think are good and would be an asset to our squad. If TA up and left I would hate it. But I would hate if for my own selfish reasons, and not judge him at all. Not saying my way is right and yours is wrong, it's just always been my take on players moving on.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:25 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 am
Here's an interesting article on the new transfer rules and how "tampering" is occurring in all levels of college football. Some coaches get around the rules of not contacting players by having former players or their high school head coach do the recruiting for them. I have to think that may have happened with Wood since he got offers so fast

Or, he contacted schools first putting out feelers and waited until he was sure he’d get P5 offers before submitting to the portal. That’s totally above board.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:31 am

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:25 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:41 am

Or, he contacted schools first putting out feelers and waited until he was sure he’d get P5 offers before submitting to the portal. That’s totally above board.
Oh agreed. And the college coaches contacting the high school coach (or having former high school teammates that are now at their power 5 school recruit the other guy) is technically above board too. I'm just saying the "rules" that keep other schools from recruiting and poaching lower levels are basically non-existent or so easy to get around, they might as well be.

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:59 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
aucat wrote:

Let’s not anonymously cut down the young man because of his decision. He graduated from MSU, played his heart out, and was/is a great ambassador for the program. He had every right and should have given himself a shot at the big time. Considering that Vandegrift was a new football program he did one helluva job in managing his sports career. He had offers from Oregon, Alabama, Texas and Michigan to name a few and decided that his game fit best in Eugene.

At UO: 65% completion rate; 8 tds; 2 picks; 152.7 PER, 40 points per game – with a defense that gave up 45 during those games - nice stats.

The guy that replaced him is doing pretty good these days, too. Look it up.

He's often worked with kids here in North Austin at his father’s athletic training facility (1 UP). I would ask him your question but I don’t want to embarrass myself.