Adam Pilapil signs on with MSU coaching staff

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Adam Pilapil signs on with MSU coaching staff

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 28, 2021 2:48 pm

From MSU
<<Pronouncer: PILL-uh-PILL>>

BOZEMAN, Montana - Adam Pilapil, a former Wyoming Cowboy linebacker and quality control coach who spent the 2020 season at Kansas State, has joined the Montana State football coaching staff as assistant defensive line coach, Bobcat head coach Brent Vigen announced Thursday.

A Torrance, California, product, Pilapil played linebacker for Wyoming from 2015 to 2018. He was in on 69 tackles for the Cowboys, including 31 during his junior season when the Pokes finished 8-5 after a Famous Idaho Potato Bowl win. UW led the nation in takeaways and finished ninth in scoring defense, 13th in pass defense and 23rd in total defense during that campaign.

During his senior season, Wyoming finished 19th nationally in total defense, 25th in rushing defense, 28th in scoring defense and 32nd in pass defense. He logged 25 tackles that season, including a career-best nine against Wofford.

Vigen said Pilapil brings experience in the team's current defensive system and enthusiasm to the Bobcats. "I'm excited to bring Adam on board as our new assistant defensive line coach," MSU's first-year head coach said. "He brings a great deal of experience as a player in this system, as well as in a quality control role and as a graduate assistant. He brings a tremendous level of energy that will impact our guys on the field as well as in the recruiting process."

Pilapil said his background with Vigen allows him the feeling of familiarity in a new role. "I'm really excited to be working for somebody that I absolutely 100 percent believe in and who knows me really well from my playing days and from working together for a year on the same staff," Pilapil said of Vigen. "I believe in everything Coach Vigen is doing, in what he's going to do here, and in what has already been built here. We're excited to be here and to get going, and excited for the (players) to get going, too, because they're itching to play."

A redshirt during the 2014 season at Wyoming, Pilapil earned his bachelor's degree in communications in 2018 and spent 2019 as a quality control assistant for the Cowboys. In 2020 he became a graduate assistant at Kansas State, where he worked with the linebackers. The Wildcats finished 36th in the FBS in tackles-for-loss with 6.8 per game last fall.

"This system, the style of defense we're going to play here, is something that means a lot to me," Pilapil said. "I've seen this defense played at the highest level and played really, really well, so I'm excited to teach these guys that and see how good we can be. I'm excited to be working with really great coaches here, Coach (Freddie) Banks and Coach Howe, guys who know the system well, along with Coach (Kyle) Risinger and Coach (Bobby) Daly."

Pilapil earned Academic All-Mountain West Conference honors during all four of his varsity seasons at Wyoming and was inducted into the National Football Foundation's Hampshire Honor Society in 2019. He will work with Bobcat Defensive Run Game Coordinator/Defensive Line coach Shawn Howe at MSU.

#GoCatsGo

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Adam Pilapil signs on with MSU coaching staff

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri May 28, 2021 8:48 pm

Adam, welcome to MSU. Go Cats!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:24 pm

I really like these quotes:

Vigen: "He brings a tremendous level of energy that will impact our guys on the field as well as in the recruiting process."

Pilapil: "I believe in everything Coach Vigen is doing, in what he's going to do here, and in what has already been built here."
Pilapil: "I've seen this defense played at the highest level and played really, really well, so I'm excited to teach these guys that and see how good we can be."

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:20 am

Another guy with connections to Scottie Hazelton, a tremendous defensive coach. If you are wondering what the defense will look like, or what the goal for the defense is, then pay attention to what Hazelton does. That’s the blueprint.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon May 31, 2021 10:47 am

For those wondering who Hazelton is.

https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/foo ... elton/1389

And he has a great beard!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 31, 2021 5:50 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:47 am

And he's now the DC at Michigan State under Mel Tucker.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 31, 2021 7:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:50 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:47 am

And he's now the DC at Michigan State under Mel Tucker.
What's your take on the MSU defensive coaches Vim? I tend to like that the coach seems to have been able to bring in some users of the system he prefers and that they, at least Pilapil, have bought into it.

toM StUber