100 Days Until Kickoff!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

100 Days Until Kickoff!

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu May 27, 2021 9:50 am

We're 100 days away from the season opener folks! That seems so far away, but so damn close considering it's been over 500 days since we last saw a real Cats game. I really want to hear some football talk, so thought maybe over the next 100 days we could post some of our favorite memories of games, players, practices, experiences or whatever else you may have related to Bobcat football. Hell we can even have a QB debate :lol:

Because I'm missing it so much I'm going with nostalgia. My first game was when I was 8 with my grandpa. We sat in the old bleachers where the BAC is now. I don't even remember who we played, what the score was or any particular plays. What I do remember though was how freaking cold it was, and how amazing I thought football was. I'd never really paid much attention to any football until that day, but I came away hooked. I was wrapped in a sleeping bag the whole game, and the breeze was killer as we sat at the top of the bleachers. But every big play was like a new experience for me. I couldn't believe how the RBs could run through guys and thought breaking tackles was he-man type stuff. Man I can't wait for September 4th.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 100 Days Until Kickoff!

Post by coloradocat » Thu May 27, 2021 10:53 am

I don't remember my first game but I'll never forget my favorite. The year after we broke The Streak the Cat-griz game was back in Bozeman. The temperature was low but spirits were high. Not many fans had made the trip to Missoula the year before so when we won the game and stormed the field it was like we broke the Streak all over again. The goalposts were torn down and everyone partied like crazy that night. That was my masters year so it was my last game in person until 2010. It also spawned a personal tradition. Every year on the morning of Cat-griz I watch the opening kickoff from that game.

The Beatdown in Bozeman is a close second favorite. Screaming everyone's favorite chant throughout the game (especially since there was a group of griz fans a few seats over), singing along to Mony Mony and watching the students stream onto the field afterwards brought back a lot of great memories. As much fun as that day was for younger fans, it meant so much more for those of us who lived through the Streak.

As far as the 2021 goes, I'm excited to finally watch the Bobcats in person again and see what changes have been implemented with the new coaching staff and player changes. I hope to see a lot of you in Laramie in 100 days!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 27, 2021 11:05 am

I don't remember my first game I attended in person but I do remember the first time I really started following the Cats. It was the '76 National Championship game and it was being broadcast on TV. My parents took us to our condo at Big Sky and we tried to get the game on TV using the old rabbit ears antenna. The game was almost unwatchable due to the poor reception but I was fascinated by the Cats from then on.

Favorite games I've attended are the games against Rhode Island that sent the Cats to the Natty and the beatdown in Bozeman. Joe Roberts interception has to be the single most exciting play I've ever seen in person. That 2019 game was so cathartic though. The fumble recovery in Missoula also tops the list but I wasn't in the stadium for that one. I quit going to games in Missoula after their fans vandalized my car and threw food at my mom.

This will be me on game day, excited to get to my seats.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:02 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:53 am
I don't remember my first game but I'll never forget my favorite. The year after we broke The Streak the Cat-griz game was back in Bozeman. The temperature was low but spirits were high. Not many fans had made the trip to Missoula the year before so when we won the game and stormed the field it was like we broke the Streak all over again. The goalposts were torn down and everyone partied like crazy that night. That was my masters year so it was my last game in person until 2010. It also spawned a personal tradition. Every year on the morning of Cat-griz I watch the opening kickoff from that game.

The Beatdown in Bozeman is a close second favorite. Screaming everyone's favorite chant throughout the game (especially since there was a group of griz fans a few seats over), singing along to Mony Mony and watching the students stream onto the field afterwards brought back a lot of great memories. As much fun as that day was for younger fans, it meant so much more for those of us who lived through the Streak.

As far as the 2021 goes, I'm excited to finally watch the Bobcats in person again and see what changes have been implemented with the new coaching staff and player changes. I hope to see a lot of you in Laramie in 100 days!
One of my favorites as well. I remember signing the goalpost in the Crystal as it was paraded downtown.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu May 27, 2021 3:58 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:53 am

I like how near the end of the video they catch a younger Ty Gregorak on the griz sideline dropping an F bomb.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu May 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Some have mentioned obvious games and they are among my favorites. Here's a couple more obscure,

I was gonna write up something great but someone already did better than i ever could. Lulay was already becoming a legend but I was at this game and can remember all the people scrambling to get back into their seats. From this game on I always knew the score didn't matter, time left didn't matter, if the Redheaded Houdini was taking snaps we had a chance.
https://msubobcats.com/news/2020/10/25/ ... -2003.aspx

ON the flip (low) side we were baling second crop hay and it was a week after we had toppled FBS Colorado and thought the team was was going to be special that year. I couldn't go to the game (haying took precedence) but i ended up having to fix something on the baler. Listening to Dean Alexander call the game we were playing some D2 team from Nebraska.... my cousins lived about a half mile away and could hear my cussing yelling who the F#@K is Danny Woodhead and would someone please tackle the SOB.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu May 27, 2021 5:34 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 4:53 pm
Some have mentioned obvious games and they are among my favorites. Here's a couple more obscure,

I was gonna write up something great but someone already did better than i ever could. Lulay was already becoming a legend but I was at this game and can remember all the people scrambling to get back into their seats. From this game on I always knew the score didn't matter, time left didn't matter, if the Redheaded Houdini was taking snaps we had a chance.
https://msubobcats.com/news/2020/10/25/ ... -2003.aspx

ON the flip (low) side we were baling second crop hay and it was a week after we had toppled FBS Colorado and thought the team was was going to be special that year. I couldn't go to the game (haying took precedence) but i ended up having to fix something on the baler. Listening to Dean Alexander call the game we were playing some D2 team from Nebraska.... my cousins lived about a half mile away and could hear my cussing yelling who the F#@K is Danny Woodhead and would someone please tackle the SOB.
I'm gonna be that guy... Dean did not call that game or any bobcat football game in 2003. He announced his retirement as voice of the bobcats on air after the cats broke the streak in stinktown in 2002. Chris Attebury would have called the Chadron State game.

Someone had posted Rocky Erickson's montage of some of Dean's calls from that game on BN, thought it was a YouTube video, but I can't find it on YouTube, no matter what combination of search terms I try. Any help folks?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu May 27, 2021 5:41 pm

While searching for the above mentioned montage, I did happen to stumble across the MSU/McNeese St. game from 2002. I know it was a loss, but that team battled so hard in that game, despite being decimated by injuries. Really gave the Cowboys a game.

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but will have to make time to. Scotty Turquist made a redonculous catch in the game that I had completely forgotten about, which I also found in my search. It made the SC Top 10 later that night.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu May 27, 2021 5:49 pm

To add to the list of favorite moments - of which all the above have their place - one of my favorites was the 2003 NAU game where Lulay basically single-handedly won the game late in the 4th quarter. I realize that's hyperbolic, and that it took a perfectly executed onside kick (Bolton? Hanson? Can't remember) and subsequent recovery by Corey Smith prior to the game winning drive, but that comeback really cemented Lulay's "Red-Headed Houdini" status, at least for me.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 am

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:35 pm

I was looking around online and found this griz radio call from Isaiah's last TD run in the 2019 Cat-griz game. Interesting....

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:49 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:35 pm
I was looking around online and found this griz radio call from Isaiah's last TD run in the 2019 Cat-griz game. Interesting....

finest fan base in America right there.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:55 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:49 pm
AFCAT wrote:

At least Robby got credited with a tackle...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:08 pm

I love #83 just destroying that defender. The roster says it's Logan Kleinhans but that can't be right.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:08 pm
I love #83 just destroying that defender. The roster says it's Logan Kleinhans but that can't be right.
63 Mitch Brott.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:23 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:55 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:49 pm
AFCAT wrote:

At least Robby got credited with a tackle...
Two tackles and a pick. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:34 pm

AFCAT wrote:

That’s hilarious, but it sounds like a voice over. The announcers have southern accents. Sure doesn’t sound like Guernsey. But I’ll buy it until someone confirms.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Jim Ross is a national treasure.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:13 pm

coachouert wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 pm
Yeah WWE announcer voice over for sure :lol:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:13 pm
coachouert wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 pm
Yeah WWE announcer voice over for sure :lol:
lol, ya... did somebody really think that was Scott Gurnsey? That would have been hilarious... :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!