Coach V's first 100 days

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Coach V's first 100 days

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:13 am

Coach Vigen is approximately 100 days into his stint as Bobcat head coach. What's your assessment?

My thoughts:

Definitely different personality....not the big boisterous nature of Coach Choate....but Vigen brings a quiet confidence to the team. I think this bodes well for the long term future of the program. I don't have any inside information, but it appears the players have bought into Coach V's vision too.

Coordinators are a bit inexperienced, but Coach Choate had Miller and Ioane leading the offense and defense in 2019...neither had Coordinator experience and performed well.

We've seen some attrition in players and coaches (and likely to see more)..., but overall fairly minimal considering coaching changes typically trigger a lot of upheaval.

I give Coach V high marks...and looking forward to the fall.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Coach V's first 100 days

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:19 am

Cautiously optimistic. . .

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat May 15, 2021 9:21 am

I’ll let you know at the end of the season. :shrug:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sat May 15, 2021 11:12 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:19 am
My thoughts as well. When Choate was hired, he was exciting to listen and watch, gave lots of insight. I am excited to watch Vigen, not excited seeing a few of these guys leaving the program. We are also in a strange scenario, that no one could have predicted. This fall can't get here soon enough.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon May 17, 2021 8:13 am

Practically a third of the year and he still hasn't beaten the grizzlies yet. Pathetic. Anybody got FOR SALE signs we can put in his yard?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:16 am

FTG247365 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:12 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
My thoughts as well. When Choate was hired, he was exciting to listen and watch, gave lots of insight. I am excited to watch Vigen, not excited seeing a few of these guys leaving the program. We are also in a strange scenario, that no one could have predicted. This fall can't get here soon enough.

With all due respect to the players who have left, has anybody who’s a significant contributor left? All I can think of is Filer.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Mon May 17, 2021 9:41 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:16 am
FTG247365 wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:

With all due respect to the players who have left, has anybody who’s a significant contributor left? All I can think of is Filer.
I am mostly interested to see how coach and staff replace the open spots. Seems like we need several players on defense preferably here in June. This staffs ability to recruit players is going to tell a lot about the program moving forward.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm

1984champ wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:41 am
bobcat99 wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:

I am mostly interested to see how coach and staff replace the open spots. Seems like we need several players on defense preferably here in June. This staffs ability to recruit players is going to tell a lot about the program moving forward.

Such a different year though. Are there really open spots? You’ve got an incoming ‘21 class and there weren’t enough spots for them as it were. I think the next couple years are going to look different in recruiting due to the covid year.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm
1984champ wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:

Such a different year though. Are there really open spots? You’ve got an incoming ‘21 class and there weren’t enough spots for them as it were. I think the next couple years are going to look different in recruiting due to the covid year.
That's a good point. A few months back we all knew that every college program in every sport in America was going to have to get rid of some players one way or another. I'd imagine even if Choate was still here there would be quite a few players leaving the program in some way...they'd have to. A handful of them are good players that will be missed, no doubt, but I don't think that's the majority.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue May 18, 2021 8:49 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 pm
ND0479 wrote:
1984champ wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:

That's a good point. A few months back we all knew that every college program in every sport in America was going to have to get rid of some players one way or another. I'd imagine even if Choate was still here there would be quite a few players leaving the program in some way...they'd have to. A handful of them are good players that will be missed, no doubt, but I don't think that's the majority.
I'm not concerned that he is losing players, just that they seem to be a majority from positions where we are already thin on depth. I wonder if we start seeing some bubble guys at WR and RB start being "advised to find opportunity elsewhere".

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 18, 2021 9:10 am

technoCat wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:49 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:14 pm
ND0479 wrote:
1984champ wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:

I'm not concerned that he is losing players, just that they seem to be a majority from positions where we are already thin on depth. I wonder if we start seeing some bubble guys at WR and RB start being "advised to find opportunity elsewhere".
The number of players on the roster isn't really an issue, it's the money for scholarships that's the issue.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:29 am

The numbers/scholarships would have been the same if Choate hadn't left.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed May 19, 2021 1:18 pm

Coach Vigen visited with QB Club members in Great Falls, Lewistown, and Havre yesterday. The first comment made was he stands taller than we thought after seeing him online! He seems pretty laid back and confident in what he is doing. Compared to Choate, his demeanor is polar opposite, but that is not all bad. He comes off as a thinker. I really enjoyed the conversation and am very anxious to see where his style and approach takes us.

His focus is TEAM and winning championships, I like what I heard.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed May 19, 2021 2:05 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:18 pm
Coach Vigen visited with QB Club members in Great Falls, Lewistown, and Havre yesterday. The first comment made was he stands taller than we thought after seeing him online! He seems pretty laid back and confident in what he is doing. Compared to Choate, his demeanor is polar opposite, but that is not all bad. He comes off as a thinker. I really enjoyed the conversation and am very anxious to see where his style and approach takes us.

Very cool, thanks superbobcat!

What other coaches would you compare Choate to? Same for Vigen?

Choate reminds me a little of Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll and Mike Ditka. Vigen is more Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh.

As an aside, Hauck reminds me of Lane Kiffin.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:38 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:05 pm
superbobcat wrote:

Choate reminds me a little of Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll and Mike Ditka. Vigen is more Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh.

I think you missed a few Hall of Famers on there.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed May 19, 2021 3:07 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:38 pm
iaafan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

I think you missed a few Hall of Famers on there.
:lol:

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed May 19, 2021 3:13 pm

iaafan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:43 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:13 am
Coach Vigen is approximately 100 days into his stint as Bobcat head coach. What's your assessment?

My thoughts:

Definitely different personality....not the big boisterous nature of Coach Choate....but Vigen brings a quiet confidence to the team. I think this bodes well for the long term future of the program. I don't have any inside information, but it appears the players have bought into Coach V's vision too.

Coordinators are a bit inexperienced, but Coach Choate had Miller and Ioane leading the offense and defense in 2019...neither had Coordinator experience and performed well.

We've seen some attrition in players and coaches (and likely to see more)..., but overall fairly minimal considering coaching changes typically trigger a lot of upheaval.

I give Coach V high marks...and looking forward to the fall.
Now 9 months in....gotta say I'm a Vigen fan....no doubt Choate set the table, but Coach V has this team playing at a very high level. Great time to be a Bobcat!

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:32 am

He was my first choice.

I never understood why they offered the ones they did. Seemed obvious they were playing for a raise at home.

Thanks to the committee for getting it right, eventually.

Great coach, nice guy, taller then I expected.

Thank you for all you do.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:04 am

I think that site to the west had a nickname for Vigen. Some, not all. Something like Six because he was our 6th choice or something like that...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.