Bobcats Non-BSC Future Schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Bobcats Non-BSC Future Schedule

Post by FYI » Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 am

Currently on the board...
Wyoming-Away
Drake-Home
San Diego-Home

Morehead State-Home
Oregon State-Away

Dixie State-Home

Dixie State-Away
Steven F Austin-Home

Oregon-Away
Steven F Austin-Away

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcats Non-BSC Future Schedule

Post by iaafan » Fri May 14, 2021 9:52 am

FYI wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 am
Wyoming-Away
Drake-Home
San Diego-Home

Morehead State-Home
Oregon State-Away

Dixie State-Home

Dixie State-Away
Steven F Austin-Home

Oregon-Away
Steven F Austin-Away
Dixie State. :yuck: I can't believe they're D1.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri May 14, 2021 10:10 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:52 am
FYI wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 am
Wyoming-Away
Drake-Home
San Diego-Home

Morehead State-Home
Oregon State-Away

Dixie State-Home

Dixie State-Away
Steven F Austin-Home

Oregon-Away
Steven F Austin-Away
Dixie State. :yuck: I can't believe they're D1.
St. George is booming and will be able to finance some football success.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 am

A few fine athletes have passed through Dixie State and a great one. Cory Dillon played there before transferring to Washington and on to the NFL, as did future NFL lineman, Barry Simms. Dave Arslanian became the head football coach at Weber State.
The most decorated Bobcat of all time went there his freshman year. The great J.A "Cat" Thompson went there his freshman year before becoming a Bobcat. Take a look at the websites he appears in, including one put up by his family. By rights, the old gym, now under "repurposing" should now and forever more be named after him....with a statue outside. The guy has been pretty much forgotten and he was by far the greatest of the Golden Bobcats!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 am

FYI wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 am
A few fine athletes have passed through Dixie State and a great one. Cory Dillon played there before transferring to Washington and on to the NFL, as did future NFL lineman, Barry Simms. Dave Arslanian became the head football coach at Weber State.
The most decorated Bobcat of all time went there his freshman year. The great J.A "Cat" Thompson went there his freshman year before becoming a Bobcat. Take a look at the websites he appears in, including one put up by his family. By rights, the old gym, now under "repurposing" should now and forever more be named after him....with a statue outside. The guy has been pretty much forgotten and he was by far the greatest of the Golden Bobcats!
For those that don't know, Cat Thompson is enshrined in the National Basketball Hall of Fame, as well as being named the national college player of the year in 1929:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070605030 ... mpson.html

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 14, 2021 10:49 am

Nice to see a home and home with an Texas FCS team.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am

I am looking forward to the trip to Laramie. Last time I was there was when the Pokes got destroyed by Oregon, made for a long drive home.

Drake for Gold Rush is hard to get excited about. It will be a good opponent for those hoping to reconnect with friends and who might stretch the halftime tailgate well into the third quarter.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri May 14, 2021 12:54 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am
I am looking forward to the trip to Laramie. Last time I was there was when the Pokes got destroyed by Oregon, made for a long drive home.

Drake for Gold Rush is hard to get excited about. It will be a good opponent for those hoping to reconnect with friends and who might stretch the halftime tailgate well into the third quarter.
We should beat UW. But likely will not due to coaching changes and not playing a live snap in a year and a half. Which is extremely disappointing. But a guy can always hope! :suds:

Hating the griz since 02.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat May 22, 2021 6:19 pm

I'm really looking forward to this game. War Memorial Stadium is higher in elevation than NAU. They have a lot of returning starters back and it would be nice to see a better performance than our last trip to Laramie.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/05 ... w-2021/amp

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat May 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 6:19 pm
I'm really looking forward to this game. War Memorial Stadium is higher in elevation than NAU. They have a lot of returning starters back and it would be nice to see a better performance than our last trip to Laramie.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/05 ... w-2021/amp
Edit* Let me add this. Some of the more senior Cat Grads miss a bit of our regional competitors on our schedules.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... 1.amp.html

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat May 22, 2021 7:21 pm

The College Football article said that the Cowboys struggled on third down. Please, please, don’t let that be the Bobcats again. 😱

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:21 pm
The College Football article said that the Cowboys struggled on third down. Please, please, don’t let that be the Bobcats again. 😱
Wyoming isn't a particularly good team relative to the MWC let alone the FBS. They probably struggle in numerous categories. MSU has a better advantage talent-wise compared to the BSC and FCS.

Wyoming is like a team from the MEAC or Patriot League or Pioneer league. MSU is like a team from the Big 12. I'm not sure there's much Nick Saban could do to improve Wyoming's lot in the world of college football.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun May 23, 2021 12:49 pm

iaafan wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:21 pm
Wyoming isn't a particularly good team relative to the MWC let alone the FBS. They probably struggle in numerous categories. MSU has a better advantage talent-wise compared to the BSC and FCS.

Wyoming is like a team from the MEAC or Patriot League or Pioneer league. MSU is like a team from the Big 12. I'm not sure there's much Nick Saban could do to improve Wyoming's lot in the world of college football.
I love the Cats more than anybody, but we should temper our expectations. Wyoming was 8-5 in 2019 with a win over an SEC team and a bowl game invite. They are no MEAC or Pioneer League team.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun May 23, 2021 1:17 pm

UW is +2265 ft in elevation. We play to their strengths. They do have more talent. Travel roster is shorter .
We can win but will need better conditioning and better have a hell of a game plan.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun May 23, 2021 3:10 pm

kwcat wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:17 pm
UW is +2265 ft in elevation. We play to their strengths. They do have more talent. Travel roster is shorter .
We can win but will need better conditioning and better have a hell of a game plan.
It's a nice stadium and really good game atmosphere. I like the fact that our head coach spent several years on Bohl's staff. It ought to be a lot of fun the entire week.

Damn good fishing all over and the Green River has some huge browns in it and it's only 200 miles from Laramie without the Hyde and neoprene hatch like the Yellowstone or Madison has in the fall.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun May 23, 2021 5:30 pm

kwcat wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:17 pm
So get some big whale to build us an indoor training facility at Big sky up on the mountain so that we can be ready for that elevation change!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Mon May 24, 2021 5:48 pm

UW will have 10 starters back on defense..maybe 12 on a unit that ranked 16th in the nation.
Even if they didn't, and I'm being honest, I don't think we will beat them.
The last time we played them 2003, we were as well positioned to win as could be. They had fired HC Vic Koenning who had gone 5-29 the previous three years. 2-10 in 2002. They hired Joe Glenn away from Montana who found things so thin he started a true freshman center. so how much better could it get?
The Cats were fairly loaded. Lots of really good starters all over the place. Guys over 30 will well remember Jon Montoya, Adam Cordeiro, Ray Sebestyen, Beau Clark, Chad Glum, Roger Cooper, Nic Marudas, Mac Mollohan, Joey Thomas, Kahiam Hunter, Kane Ioane, Ryan Force, Nate Cook, Brent Swaggert, Nic Stevenson, Jeff Bolton, Mataio Toilolo, Scott Turnquist, Corey Smith, Rickey Gatewood, Ryan Elliott, Travis Lulay, Blake Wolf...and more!
To drive it home further, wild man DC Joe O'Brien seated the team in the Brick and gave them a "talk from hell" before they left for Laramie.
Final score. Wyoming 21 Bobcats 10.
A few years later the Cats would do even better against Oklahoma State. And after that the Cats almost took down Washington State...ditto SMU. It's not that the Cats can't do it....but this is a pretty good Wyoming team. They went 2-4 during the Covid season...losing three by a total of 12 points and that included Nevada and Boise State. They won two games by a total of 55 points. They are well coached...I hope, and pretty deep.
It has to be something special for coach Vigen. He knows those guys very well and undoubtedly still loves them. But he also undoubtedly would rather win

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 25, 2021 7:07 am

FYI wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:48 pm
UW will have 10 starters back on defense..maybe 12 on a unit that ranked 16th in the nation.
Even if they didn't, and I'm being honest, I don't think we will beat them.
The last time we played them 2003, we were as well positioned to win as could be. They had fired HC Vic Koenning who had gone 5-29 the previous three years. 2-10 in 2002. They hired Joe Glenn away from Montana who found things so thin he started a true freshman center. so how much better could it get?
The Cats were fairly loaded. Lots of really good starters all over the place. Guys over 30 will well remember Jon Montoya, Adam Cordeiro, Ray Sebestyen, Beau Clark, Chad Glum, Roger Cooper, Nic Marudas, Mac Mollohan, Joey Thomas, Kahiam Hunter, Kane Ioane, Ryan Force, Nate Cook, Brent Swaggert, Nic Stevenson, Jeff Bolton, Mataio Toilolo, Scott Turnquist, Corey Smith, Rickey Gatewood, Ryan Elliott, Travis Lulay, Blake Wolf...and more!
To drive it home further, wild man DC Joe O'Brien seated the team in the Brick and gave them a "talk from hell" before they left for Laramie.
Final score. Wyoming 21 Bobcats 10.
A few years later the Cats would do even better against Oklahoma State. And after that the Cats almost took down Washington State...ditto SMU. It's not that the Cats can't do it....but this is a pretty good Wyoming team. They went 2-4 during the Covid season...losing three by a total of 12 points and that included Nevada and Boise State. They won two games by a total of 55 points. They are well coached...I hope, and pretty deep.
It has to be something special for coach Vigen. He knows those guys very well and undoubtedly still loves them. But he also undoubtedly would rather win
This year ought to be a real football game. Ought to be...

I believe Bohl has restored the Wyoming program to Eaton's level in the mid-60s before the stupid arse kicked those kids off the team. We used to have a pretty decent time in Laramie, Fort Collins and especially in Boulder with the regional competition. Glad to see a game in Laramie again.

I know there's quite a few Bobcats living in Wyoming now and there'll be plenty of us there.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Tue May 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Wow...I was recruited by Lloyd Eaton...that's how old I am. He really had it going in Laramie....but, he had the benefit of following the great Bob Devaney who went on to be a legend at Nebraska. Eaton was a little like Choate...high energy, low tolerance...and you are correct sir...Eaton messed up.
Wyoming has done a fine job over the years hiring great talent knowing they would be moving on. They had Fritz Shurmer for a year before he went on to become one of the great defensive coaches in the NFL. They had Fred Akers, Pat Dye, Bobcat Dennis Erickson rolled his bed there, Paul Roach (34-15-1) proved you could thrive there. And then there's one of my favorites and old friend, a Bobcat who excelled there and went on to take Purdue to the Rose Bowl..Joe Tiller. I know some deeply committed Wyoming boosters and have a lot of respect for them. Having said that...I hope the Cats kick their ass!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 25, 2021 6:13 pm

FYI wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:44 pm
Wow...I was recruited by Lloyd Eaton...that's how old I am. He really had it going in Laramie....but, he had the benefit of following the great Bob Devaney who went on to be a legend at Nebraska. Eaton was a little like Choate...high energy, low tolerance...and you are correct sir...Eaton messed up.
Wyoming has done a fine job over the years hiring great talent knowing they would be moving on. They had Fritz Shurmer for a year before he went on to become one of the great defensive coaches in the NFL. They had Fred Akers, Pat Dye, Bobcat Dennis Erickson rolled his bed there, Paul Roach (34-15-1) proved you could thrive there. And then there's one of my favorites and old friend, a Bobcat who excelled there and went on to take Purdue to the Rose Bowl..Joe Tiller. I know some deeply committed Wyoming boosters and have a lot of respect for them. Having said that...I hope the Cats kick their ass!

I remember this team like it was yesterday:

https://kingfm.com/the-5-best-teams-in- ... l-history/

They finished the year reanked 6th in the AP poll and I thought they were in the top 5 in the UPI poll. But Eaton threw it all away and it took forever for Wyoming to mend that fence.

It would be kind of nice for the Cats to win but...I'm not harboring any real serious expectations. Just want to spend a few days with some friends, catch a bunch of fish and see some of their grandkids play a little football. Looking for a good fall day or two on the streams and a couple days on the lakes. Haven't landed a twenty pound brown since Iceland and that's been way too many years.