Did MSU Make the Right Decision About Spring (Poll)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Did MSU make the right decision opting out of the spring season?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Yes
87%
No
5%
Too early to tell
5%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 79

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Did MSU Make the Right Decision About Spring (Poll)

Post by KittieKop » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:34 pm

I'm frankly surprised anyone is still alive at MSU to graduate tomorrow. Minor miracle.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat May 01, 2021 2:56 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:34 pm
I'm frankly surprised anyone is still alive at MSU to graduate tomorrow. Minor miracle.
Yes, reading the comments you might think that!!! But in actuality through April 2 only one person under the age of 30 has passed away in the entire state since this all began.....so the odds are very very good the kids will be there!

Since early November, 2020 the trends in Montana have continued in the right direction. Even through the transition to a new political regime. Can’t let up yet but optimistic we will continue to be able to open up more and more activities. See state data at link below:

https://dphhs.mt.gov/Portals/85/publich ... 022021.pdf

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun May 02, 2021 10:39 pm

One thing we are missing out on is national television exposure in the playoffs. I recall a couple posters calling me crazy for even thinking of such a possibility back in November. 1 FCS game on ESPN and 2 games on ESPN2 today. It appears that one of the semifinal games next week will be on ABC. It would have been a great opportunity to showcase Bozeman and the new facilities if it was a home game.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon May 03, 2021 9:23 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:39 pm
One thing we are missing out on is national television exposure in the playoffs. I recall a couple posters calling me crazy for even thinking of such a possibility back in November. 1 FCS game on ESPN and 2 games on ESPN2 today. It appears that one of the semifinal games next week will be on ABC. It would have been a great opportunity to showcase Bozeman and the new facilities if it was a home game.
It would've been nice, for sure. But first of all, I'm not sure MSU would've still been playing this weekend given the fact there was a coaching change right before the season would've started.

And watching a couple games last night, I doubt anybody unfamiliar with FCS football was impressed by JMU or SDSU's stadiums and facilities. It felt like one of those random Friday nights in the fall where you're watching somebody like Ball State and Tulane play. Sparse crowds, pretty minimal production by ESPN, no recognizable coaches or players, etc. I feel like the average football fan turned it on, said "oh cool, football", then lost interest after a few minutes. Where MSU or um could impress some people would be if Cat/Griz was on TV and people could see how fun that environment is. That's the kind of exposure the FCS needs to the average football fan. Otherwise it just seems like it's not enough to turn the heads that need to be turned. Fun for us, but not for anybody else.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 03, 2021 10:17 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:23 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:39 pm
It would've been nice, for sure. But first of all, I'm not sure MSU would've still been playing this weekend given the fact there was a coaching change right before the season would've started.

And watching a couple games last night, I doubt anybody unfamiliar with FCS football was impressed by JMU or SDSU's stadiums and facilities. It felt like one of those random Friday nights in the fall where you're watching somebody like Ball State and Tulane play. Sparse crowds, pretty minimal production by ESPN, no recognizable coaches or players, etc. I feel like the average football fan turned it on, said "oh cool, football", then lost interest after a few minutes. Where MSU or um could impress some people would be if Cat/Griz was on TV and people could see how fun that environment is. That's the kind of exposure the FCS needs to the average football fan. Otherwise it just seems like it's not enough to turn the heads that need to be turned. Fun for us, but not for anybody else.
You could be right on all points. I could be right as well. We will never know.