Did MSU Make the Right Decision About Spring (Poll)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Did MSU make the right decision opting out of the spring season?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Yes
87%
No
5%
Too early to tell
5%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 79

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Did MSU Make the Right Decision About Spring (Poll)

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Now that the dust has settled around the Big Sky spring season, did MSU make the right choice opting out of the spring season? Is it too early to even know the answer?
Last edited by CelticCat on Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Did MSU Make the Right Decision About Spring (Poll)

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:35 pm

100% yes.

This spring “season” Has been a joke (for the teams that did participate).

FTG- GO CATS GO!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm

YES! Sure, we could have pretended like it was a mini season and destroyed MT Western and Northern Colorado, but I'd rather save it for the real season and destroy teams like Montana, and hopefully EWU.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:22 pm

My vote is yes, unless I had a crystal ball and could foresee that MSU would've won a National Championship with no major injuries had it decided to play!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Absolutely yes from the beginning and especially after the coaching change

Sports is not bigger than life

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:09 pm

Knowing what we know now? Or based on the best information availible when the decision was made?

MSU had no way of knowing how mild the winter was going to be, or how well the vaccine rollout was going to proceed...or that there would be some, Er changes.

Totally right at the time-given what we knew. In retrospect, maybe 50-50.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:25 am

I really don't think it makes a difference one way or another.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 am

As for opting out, yes. I still feel strongly they should have scheduled a couple of teams to shake the rust off and hit someone else.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:20 pm

Spring was never a good idea for northern (cold weather) teams without an indoor facility. So yes, cancelling Spring ball was the correct decision.
However I'm not 100% convinced that cancelling Fall season was the best idea for us. Initially the decision last summer was the right one; however as we got into Fall and other schools were finding ways to make it happen, MSU (and other BSC schools) should have reconsidered that decision.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 pm

I see the Sky really did well in the playoffs without us. One and done... I wonder if this will affect the MVC next fall.

What happened with EWU? They were doing well...and then the Giant woke up! Jeezh!

2024 Resume dominance

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:12 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:20 pm
Spring was never a good idea for northern (cold weather) teams without an indoor facility. So yes, cancelling Spring ball was the correct decision.
However I'm not 100% convinced that cancelling Fall season was the best idea for us. Initially the decision last summer was the right one; however as we got into Fall and other schools were finding ways to make it happen, MSU (and other BSC schools) should have reconsidered that decision.
Wasn't it really expensive (cost prohibitive for most FCS schools) to do the fall season though? I thought I recall that being case as teams had to spend a lot of money on testing and keeping players isolated, etc.

Spring would've been pretty good as it was a really mild winter, but just seeing how it went in retrospect it was a good decision to not play in the spring. It just felt weird.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:12 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wasn't it really expensive (cost prohibitive for most FCS schools) to do the fall season though? I thought I recall that being case as teams had to spend a lot of money on testing and keeping players isolated, etc.

Spring would've been pretty good as it was a really mild winter, but just seeing how it went in retrospect it was a good decision to not play in the spring. It just felt weird.
Yup. Few, if any, fans in the stands and the travel and other costs would have been difficult for MSU to cover.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:25 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Yup. Few, if any, fans in the stands and the travel and other costs would have been difficult for MSU to cover.
Hard for MSU to cover, impossible for most of the other schools in the conference to cover. I think it was the only decision that could have been made given what we knew at that time. I do believe the BSC could have been more transparent and decisive with schools and athletes. I don't remember all the details, but I remember Choate talking about it in a Quarterback Club deal and it sounded like a bungled mess. Ultimately the outcome might not have been different, so maybe it doesn't make any difference beyond just being an annoyance.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:42 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:25 pm
AFCAT wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Hard for MSU to cover, impossible for most of the other schools in the conference to cover. I think it was the only decision that could have been made given what we knew at that time. I do believe the BSC could have been more transparent and decisive with schools and athletes. I don't remember all the details, but I remember Choate talking about it in a Quarterback Club deal and it sounded like a bungled mess. Ultimately the outcome might not have been different, so maybe it doesn't make any difference beyond just being an annoyance.
No fans, no TV contracts, no money game against Utah...and, to top it off MSU was like one giant superspreader event all fall. Something like 60% of Gallatins cases were associated with MSU.

MSUs handling of the pandemic was an utter disaster-as in the Regents should seriously reconsider Cruzados contract level bad...any of the rest of us would have been fired 6 months ago for this disaster-so it’s really tough to imagine howMSU could have played a fall season and stayed financially viable.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:20 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:42 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

No fans, no TV contracts, no money game against Utah...and, to top it off MSU was like one giant superspreader event all fall. Something like 60% of Gallatins cases were associated with MSU.

MSUs handling of the pandemic was an utter disaster-as in the Regents should seriously reconsider Cruzados contract level bad...any of the rest of us would have been fired 6 months ago for this disaster-so it’s really tough to imagine howMSU could have played a fall season and stayed financially viable.
:lol:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:33 am

onceacat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Cruzado isn't the one who mandated that all MUS schools went back to face-to-face instruction in August and then kept colleges open when case levels skyrocketed in October & November. What exactly did anyone expect would happen when a bunch of 18-21 year olds who think they're invincible (not a criticism, I thought that too at that age) all converge on the same place with guidelines in place but minimal capacity for monitoring or enforcement of said guidelines.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:54 am

How many serious illnesses and hospitalizations came from this huge increase caused by college kids

Sports is not bigger than life

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:07 am

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:54 am
How many serious illnesses and hospitalizations came from this huge increase caused by college kids
Cases. Cases is the narrative.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:00 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:54 am
Probably quite a few assuming that some of the young, healthy college students who got the virus also passed it on to older, less healthy people who are more at risk of severe illness.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:20 pm
onceacat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
iaafan wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

:lol:
+1