Post-Spring Depth Chart

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Post-Spring Depth Chart

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:57 pm

This 'game' was joke.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:17 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:57 pm
This 'game' was joke.
4 in a row loser. Still haven’t heard when you got your degree from UM or what it was in.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 am

I think some numbers were miss entered. Rygg I thin was supposed to be 280 not 230. Tua I think was supposed to be 385 not 358. The roster they sent out for the spring game last weekend had Tua at over 400.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 am

gtapp wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 am
I think some numbers were miss entered. Rygg I thin was supposed to be 280 not 230. Tua I think was supposed to be 385 not 358. The roster they sent out for the spring game last weekend had Tua at over 400.
I thought Tua looked to be right around 360. He didn't look 400. You can definitely see a difference from when he first got here..

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am

Some observations….
• Eric Zambrano 6-1/206….don’t see a cornerback over 200 lbs at the FCS level too often
• Don’t know much about Troy’s back-up…Freshman Danny Uliulakepa 6-1/235 from Puyallup
• Didn’t realize that Jaden Smith was 6-5
• Surprised at 6-1 that Zach Redd isn't at Center instead of LG
• A little surprised Lewis Kidd isn’t at LT
• There’s not a lot of experience in the secondary, so early on could be a ‘learning curve’ situation
• Eager to see James Campbell play though…..I think with his speed & some playing time…watch out
• 4 of our front 6 on defense are Seniors….Hardy, Benson, Williams, Anderson
• Wondering if RB is the best place for Jaharie Martin
• Did Brody Grebe play this Spring?
• Didn’t realize we stole Cole Sain from the griz…..in a round-a-bout way
• Little surprised neither Estes or Hanser made the depth chart at WR
• Looking forward to the 2021 season!!!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:54 am

James Campbell is super intriguing... he has all the measurables you dream about for a CB, size/speed/athletic.... if he can quickly pick up the position, he could make some noise this fall. I was impressed with his tackling on special teams coverage last year.

Kinda reminds me of trumaine Johnson with the griz (and no, I am not saying James is that good). But I’m pretty sure trumaine was a wr coming out of highschool, with similar measurable’s. Bobby moved him to CB and Next thing ya know he is in the NFL.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:13 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am
Some observations….

Colter had a great observation on why Redd is at LG. With his hearing impairment, he has trouble with silent snap counts. Him and Wood have been playing together forever and know how to communicate with each other. I guess they could all just swap sides but Armstrong/Vigen/Housewright think this is the best lineup.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:27 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:13 am
The MICKSTER wrote:
Some observations….

Colter had a great observation on why Redd is at LG. With his hearing impairment, he has trouble with silent snap counts. Him and Wood have been playing together forever and know how to communicate with each other. I guess they could all just swap sides but Armstrong/Vigen/Housewright think this is the best lineup.
Interesting, I didn't know that - went back and read the article that says he is deaf in his right ear. So I would assume putting him a left guard has a few advantages - he can see the ball snapped and hear signals from the left tackle on blocking assignments.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:45 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 am
gtapp wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 am
I thought Tua looked to be right around 360. He didn't look 400. You can definitely see a difference from when he first got here..
I’m sorry, but at that point, it’s pretty hard to tell the difference between 20 lbs from the sideline.

Hopefully he continues to lose weight and get it shape, because right now he’s too big to be an effective player.

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:27 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:13 am
The MICKSTER wrote:
Some observations….

Interesting, I didn't know that - went back and read the article that says he is deaf in his right ear. So I would assume putting him a left guard has a few advantages - he can see the ball snapped and hear signals from the left tackle on blocking assignments.
Thanks for the info :)

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:55 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Some observations….
• Don’t know much about Troy’s back-up…Freshman Danny Uliulakepa 6-1/235 from Puyallup
• There’s not a lot of experience in the secondary, so early on could be a ‘learning curve’ situation
My responses to some of your observations:

- Danny U has been outstanding since he came in as a true freshman last fall. Always around the ball and is a playmaker.
- Lewis Kidd is arguably our best o-lineman but he has struggled as a tackle in pass pro in both the 2020 Fall Scrimmage and the 2021 Sonny Holland Game. Connor has been awesome as a run blocker and he's got better feet than Lewis in pass pro. Might not have a better anchor but can hold the edge better against speed rushers.
- We will need one or two transfers in the secondary or will need some true freshman to be ready to go.
- Jaharie is playing really well at RB. I've only seen his high school film as a LB but Jaharie is going to provide value in the backfield in 2021
- Brody Grebe is developing as an edge rusher. Had a few pressures on Saturday but he's young yet. I'd say in one year he will push for starting time at DE
- Cole Sain has been rock solid which is an outstanding development for the offensive line as a whole. He was really good at center on Saturday.
- Estes must be on the shelf this spring as I haven't seen him practice. If Hanser makes this team post-spring ball, its because of his ability on special teams.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:55 am
If Hanser makes this team post-spring ball, its because of his ability on special teams.
Is Hanser really not one of the best receivers on the team?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

The MICKSTER

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
Some observations….
My responses to some of your observations:

- Danny U has been outstanding since he came in as a true freshman last fall. Always around the ball and is a playmaker.
- Lewis Kidd is arguably our best o-lineman but he has struggled as a tackle in pass pro in both the 2020 Fall Scrimmage and the 2021 Sonny Holland Game. Connor has been awesome as a run blocker and he's got better feet than Lewis in pass pro. Might not have a better anchor but can hold the edge better against speed rushers.
- We will need one or two transfers in the secondary or will need some true freshman to be ready to go.
- Jaharie is playing really well at RB. I've only seen his high school film as a LB but Jaharie is going to provide value in the backfield in 2021
- Brody Grebe is developing as an edge rusher. Had a few pressures on Saturday but he's young yet. I'd say in one year he will push for starting time at DE
- Cole Sain has been rock solid which is an outstanding development for the offensive line as a whole. He was really good at center on Saturday.
- Estes must be on the shelf this spring as I haven't seen him practice. If Hanser makes this team post-spring ball, its because of his ability on special teams.
Thanks for the insight Vim :thumbup:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 pm

seataccat wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
If Hanser makes this team post-spring ball, its because of his ability on special teams.
Was he supposed to be coming into this year? Based off the eye test, Lance McCutcheon, Jaden Smith, Nate Stewart, Coy Steel, Willie Patterson, and Charles Brown are more talented as WRs. Then you have young guys like Jahmad Monroe, Logan Kleinhans, Mark Estes, and Tanner Trafton as his main competition. If he isn't ahead of them as a junior, he better be great on special teams. He got plenty of reps on Saturday and almost came down with a tough catch but the DB made a nice hit. I think he's just kind of lost in the middle and I think his development should've started as an OLB when he came to MSU.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:25 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 pm
seataccat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Was he supposed to be coming into this year? Based off the eye test, Lance McCutcheon, Jaden Smith, Nate Stewart, Coy Steel, Willie Patterson, and Charles Brown are more talented as WRs. Then you have young guys like Jahmad Monroe, Logan Kleinhans, Mark Estes, and Tanner Trafton as his main competition. If he isn't ahead of them as a junior, he better be great on special teams. He got plenty of reps on Saturday and almost came down with a tough catch but the DB made a nice hit. I think he's just kind of lost in the middle and I think his development should've started as an OLB when he came to MSU.
How did Aidan Garrigan look this Spring? Frazier thought highly of him and had higher hopes for him this season.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:48 pm

seataccat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
When has he ever shown that he is?

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:33 pm

A little surprised Troy is the Second Biggest of the 1's on Defense ?

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:04 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:33 pm
A little surprised Troy is the Second Biggest of the 1's on Defense ?
Ya, I mean he's a big strong LB, so it's not surprising that hw should be the biggest player out there not on the D Line... so should maybe be 4th or 5th now that we've moved to a 4-3. That said, D end, pass rushers, etc don't need to be 280 pounds... but he certainly shouldn't be bigger than whoever starts interior D line. As others have said, I think a couple transfers there are on the way.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:42 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:25 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 pm
seataccat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
How did Aidan Garrigan look this Spring? Frazier thought highly of him and had higher hopes for him this season.
Got dinged up and sat out last few weeks. But I liked what I saw in the 2020 Fall Scrimmage!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:51 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:38 pm
James Campbell! I'm happy for that guy. I heard he was doing well but I didn't know he was the number 1.
Happy for James, too. He’s been an outstanding tackler on special teams. When he hits someone, they stay hit. Wrapped up, end of play.