Post-Spring Depth Chart

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: Post-Spring Depth Chart

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:34 pm

I'd say Hardy ahead of Jobman is my biggest surprise, Jobman has worked his ass off since he's been here and has been a solid OLB and End rusher. If Hardy is Better, that's awesome.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:45 pm

1. Willie and Coy will flip pretty quickly, in fall camp. IMO
2. I still think Rovig and Bauman don’t fit the style of QB that this offense runs best with. I could still see one or both leaving.
3.Campbell is not a surprise to me.
4. Our two deep is pretty experienced and solid on both sides.
5. Looks like DL could be our weak area.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:52 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:45 pm
2. I still think Rovig and Bauman don’t fit the style of QB that this offense runs best with. I could still see one or both leaving.
Interior DL and CB I think are the two thinnest positions. I’ll be surprised if there isn’t one or more transfers at both positions by the time fall rolls around.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:56 pm

With the exception of Thomas, the Cats have some pretty tall dbs.

I didn't think of Tadan Gillman as a nickel but if it works, cool.
Last edited by AFCAT on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:01 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:31 pm
I had no idea we were so old on the d - line. For some reason I thought we were super young up front, I know these guys were more buried on the depth chart, but I'm concerned we are so old and so thin. We probably need 3-4 guys this next year and a couple transfers.
Yup yup

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:05 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:56 pm

Can her cover well enough to be a nickel? Or do we think he'll be in on running downs as the 3rd LB, moving Thomas to CB on those downs?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:06 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:34 pm
I'd say Hardy ahead of Jobman is my biggest surprise, Jobman has worked his ass off since he's been here and has been a solid OLB and End rusher. If Hardy is Better, that's awesome.
Hardy was the best defensive player on Saturday. Beat Lewis Kidd for two sacks and stuffed Isaiah on a few runs.

Also thought Kyle Rygg had a great day. The interior will really need him to be better than average in 2021.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:07 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:05 pm
AFCAT wrote:

Can her cover well enough to be a nickel? Or do we think he'll be in on running downs as the 3rd LB, moving Thomas to CB on those downs?
Tadan will basically be playing a SAM spot when he's in there. Kind of a hybrid safety/LB role.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:08 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:06 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:34 pm
Hardy was the best defensive player on Saturday. Beat Lewis Kidd for two sacks and stuffed Isaiah on a few runs.

Also thought Kyle Rygg had a great day. The interior will really need him to be better than average in 2021.
Hardy was QUICK off the line Saturday. His first sack I said to myself "wow he must have been going against a 2 on the line." Nope it was Kidd. Very impressive.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:08 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:07 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Tadan will basically be playing a SAM spot when he's in there. Kind of a hybrid safety/LB role.
Makes sense. And Thomas stays on the field in those situations as well I'd assume?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:10 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Ahh, makes more sense now.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:12 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:08 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Makes sense. And Thomas stays on the field in those situations as well I'd assume?
Yeah he'd likely kick out to the outside and move James Campbell to the bench.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:33 pm

No Blake Schmidt on the 2 deep. That's both surprising and disappointing. 3rd year in the program with high expectations coming in.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:34 pm

gtapp wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:33 pm
No Blake Schmidt on the 2 deep. That's both surprising and disappointing. 3rd year in the program with high expectations coming in.
He’s listed at Nose Tackle

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:25 pm

I'm glad they updated the weight on Tua Areta. He's at 358 now. I thought he looked a lot slimmer, but the thing that jumped out at me even more than that was the muscle definition in his arms. This guy could really turn into something special if he keeps at it.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:34 pm
gtapp wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:33 pm
He’s listed at Nose Tackle
Yeah he's backing up Chase Benson and will likely split reps with Tua depending on the situation. However, I'm still of the believe we need two transfers at DT as Blake and Tua struggled against the run during Saturday's scrimmage. They just aren't there yet.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:22 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:52 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Interior DL and CB I think are the two thinnest positions. I’ll be surprised if there isn’t one or more transfers at both positions by the time fall rolls around.
Is Max Lenzy still around? I thought he would be the highlight out of Portland but Jackson is stealing the show.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:22 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:52 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Is Max Lenzy still around? I thought he would be the highlight out of Portland but Jackson is stealing the show.
Lenzy was injured in the playoffs in 2019. I'm not sure what the extent of that injury was. He was playing Saturday. No. 14. He was highly sought after in high school with offers from several big programs and I believe he was the defensive player of the year in Oregon. Miles Jackson is for real. He's a player you notice right away. He just moves well and seems like a natural born football player.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:19 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Willie has had some tough luck so far, but once he gets rolling he's going to solid contributor. I think he's trying too hard to make something happen every time he gets the ball.

I think the depth on defense isn't there yet. If a couple studs go down, it could be tough to outscore teams.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:27 pm

Elijah Elliot was very fun to watch. I heard he was good, but had no idea he could run like that. He showed great maturity for his age after coughing up the ball down near the goal line. That kind of play can really hurt a young player psychologically. I half-expected him to come back out and get stuffed at the line because he was afraid to lose the ball. That wasn't the case.

Jaden Smith was also beyond what I expected. I also thought he could've been even more effective than he was. His extra effort after the catch was very impressive. Not many WRs out there that are that physical at contact.

Cole Sain has been a pleasant surprise as well. I was wondering who the fifth OL would be and I have to believe that if the coaches have him at center he must be playing very well, because I didn't think that would be the spot that the new guy would be playing.

toM StUber