Transfers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transfers

Post by coloradocat » Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:42 am
Blake Thelen is transferring.
Well there's one QB. Will there be another one?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon May 10, 2021 11:14 am

******, I talked to someone who knows a lot more than me about QB play and he said Blake was our most promising young QB, by far. He was worried this may happen. Going to be interesting to see where he lands.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 10, 2021 11:21 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:14 am
******, I talked to someone who knows a lot more than me about QB play and he said Blake was our most promising young QB, by far. He was worried this may happen. Going to be interesting to see where he lands.
I wish Blake the best, but not the best QB we had.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:21 am
ibleedblue wrote:
He said most promising YOUNG QB on the roster who he felt would easily take the starting job in the next year or so. This is a former QB who shared this as well. There definitely credibility there.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 10, 2021 11:33 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 am
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
He said most promising YOUNG QB on the roster who he felt would easily take the starting job in the next year or so. This is a former QB who shared this as well. There definitely credibility there.
I guess we will see. Bauman is 6’7” with a rocket arm and athleticism through the roof. That seems to be a lot of potential.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 am

Pretty much figured this was going to happen. For a couple of these guys the decision is sit and wait for their turn or go somewhere and play right away. I think Blake can go to any Frontier School and win the job. Tommy, too , is special. I see him moving into the back up role next year Tucker graduated so he has the option of moving on. Bauman has a turn coming after McKay moves on. It is kind of fun to finally be in a situation of to much depth at QB rather than not enough. I hope we go into the season with McKay at 1, Bauman and Rovig at 2 and 3, and Tommy at 4. With that said, it won't surprise me to see either Bauman or Rovig move on. I wish Blake well and thank you.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:50 am

Rovig and McKay graduated but are Jr's. Casey is a Soph.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Yeah, I don't know. I think Mellott is going to be a stud. Either way I think this was a good move for Thelen, not because I don't think he's good, but because I think he'll be stuck behind Mellott and because you gotta think that Vigen is going to bring in a transfer QB this summer and then keep recruiting QBs. Vigen's track record is going to encourage QBs to come to MSU and he's bound to land a stud or two.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Mon May 10, 2021 3:18 pm

Hope he looks at MT Tech. Blake, if you are reading this Tech grads were 6th in the nation for highest starting salaries*....so there's that too.
*Washington Post

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon May 10, 2021 3:25 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
I feel like he was one to two years out to compete for the number one spot as he continued to develop. Would’ve liked to kept him. Wish him the best of luck wherever he goes!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon May 10, 2021 3:44 pm

FYI wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:22 am
Here's a "historic" transfer story...FYI "The Tale of Mitch Jones"
Jones was a freshman Bobcat running back in 1999, recruited by Cliff Hysell. Cliff retired after the '99 season and was replaced by Mike Kramer.
Mitch ran out of money, wasn't offered a full scholarship and went home to California.
MSU also had a new AD, Chuck Lindemenn who was hired away from NAIA Humbolt State and, as it turned out, the brand new beautiful stadium addition had just been completed and was ready for the 2000 season.
Lindemenn cut a deal with his old school in what was to be a win-win situation. The Cats would open in their new digs with a win for new coach Kramer, Humbolt would get a opportunity to make some money and play an 1AA program in front of 15,000+ fans.
But it all went wrong. Humbolt showed up armed with a new running back, Mitch Jones. Jones, incidentally, had also been a member of the Bobcat track team. As expected, the Cats took control early led by QB Farhaad Azimi who came in highly touted by Kramer. But the Lumberjacks wouldn't go away and the Cats led at half-time 14-0.
THEN...Mitch Jones ran wild in the second half. scoring two touchdowns and by the end of the game rushed for 213 yards. Also at the end of the game the score was 14-23 Humbolt State. The always quotable Kramer said "We were victimized by our youth. We ran out of emotional savvy." 8-[ He had another beauty for another reporter, "we go as long as we can as hard as we can. We just ran out of gas." This after being beaten by an NAIA school and a former Bobcat running back. I sometimes miss that guy.
Oh, and just to add some fuel....the previous week Humbolt State was beaten by Montana Tech 19-16. :-s

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY EVERYBODY'S MOTHER!
The Cats lost the game because Kramer was stubborn and insisted that Azimi throw the ball continually instead of handing it off to Ryan Johnson. Well the defense ran out of gas because Azimi couldn't get any first downs. That loss was from Kramer’s stubbornness, not a transfer RB.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:33 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
I guess we will see. Bauman is 6’7” with a rocket arm and athleticism through the roof. That seems to be a lot of potential.

:roll:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 10, 2021 5:07 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Sorry Gruden. Should have checked with you first.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:13 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:07 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Sorry Gruden. Should have checked with you first.
If you cared at all about accuracy, you would have. Shame.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Yeah, I don't know. I think Mellott is going to be a stud. Either way I think this was a good move for Thelen, not because I don't think he's good, but because I think he'll be stuck behind Mellott and because you gotta think that Vigen is going to bring in a transfer QB this summer and then keep recruiting QBs. Vigen's track record is going to encourage QBs to come to MSU and he's bound to land a stud or two.
Blake was head of Mellott at this point. Now, Blake has an extra year under his belt but if they had to go play tomorrow and Tommy & Blake were the only two QBs, Blake would be starting.

If I had to take an educated guess, we'll see Tommy playing a different position than QB by the time his career ends at MSU.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

2015cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2015cat » Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm
iaafan wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Blake was head of Mellott at this point. Now, Blake has an extra year under his belt but if they had to go play tomorrow and Tommy & Blake were the only two QBs, Blake would be starting.

If I had to take an educated guess, we'll see Tommy playing a different position than QB by the time his career ends at MSU.
I’m surprised it hasn’t been stated (At least that I’ve seen) how Mellott was playing some special teams during the spring game.

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

Nailed it!

spring creek cat

Post by spring creek cat » Tue May 11, 2021 12:02 am

This is horrible news! I really think Blake had a shot at being a very productive QB. I really think this has to do with a coaching change for him. Yes the QB room is full, but I agree mellot will eventually move and Bauman can’t through a 5 yard out! I really think he had a shot at being the future QB.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:42 am

2015cat wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:

I’m surprised it hasn’t been stated (At least that I’ve seen) how Mellott was playing some special teams during the spring game.
Are you sure that wasn’t James Campbell? He also wears 4 and is a ST ace.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:03 am

spring creek cat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:02 am
This is horrible news! I really think Blake had a shot at being a very productive QB. I really think this has to do with a coaching change for him. Yes the QB room is full, but I agree mellot will eventually move and Bauman can’t through a 5 yard out! I really think he had a shot at being the future QB.
After a shaky start he played well, but I didn’t come away thinking he looked like the future of the program. No one would know that better than Thelen.

I’d like to see Montana QBs go the JC route. They just aren’t ready for BSC play coming out of HS. Most MSU QBs have jumped into the job early. Lulay, McGhee, Prukop, Murray, Andersen (a freakish exception) and even Rovig were all third year sophomores at most. I don’t see a Montana player doing that.

Mellott will need time to develop. Maybe with Vigen, who worked well with a comparable Easton Stick, here he’ll pick things up quickly and I think he’s getting an extra year, however, with his talent in the classroom he’ll probably be graduating after his sophomore football season.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber