Transfers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Transfers

Post by ND0479 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:53 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:32 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:21 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:14 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:57 am
Yeah, I didn't see Marshall leaving. That's a big loss.
Really? He had some nice plays running jet sweeps, so basically as a pseudo RB. He never really showed much as a WR.

All this tells me is that we have younger and better players on the roster, so he’s leaving to get playing time elsewhere. Big loss? I just don’t see how.
Yeah, Really! He shined when he played in 2019, in only four games by the way to preserve his eligibility. He smoked the griz when he got the ball, sure on fly sweeps but he had great balance and speed. He also did a good job against UNC and scored against Southern Utah. He was dynamic with the ball. He didn't catch many passes because the Cats didn't throw much. Check out his JC film and he had some nice catches in the Sonny Holland scrimmage too.
He was a nice player, I’m not saying otherwise, but he isn’t a big loss by any means. Again, there’s a reason he’s transferring. He wants to play. Which means there are better players on the roster.

A big loss would be Lewis Kidd, or Ifanse. Marshall? He’s replaceable.
Cool, you can have your opinion and I'll have mine. Among the current wide receivers, I don't see a player that was as dynamic as Marshall was in 2019. To me, Marshall is a big loss in that room. I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong come Fall.
I’m a broken record, but Charles Brown is the most dynamic WR on the team, and it isn’t close, before and after this.
Agree with this. In the Fall scrimmage, it seemed the previous staff wanted to get the ball in his hands...obviously things changed and he must've gotten dinged up this Spring. Still think he and Jaden Smith are going to have big seasons. I think they're cousins?

Then you've got Stewart, Steel, and McCutcheon who I hope to see more energy out of...there's certainly some depth in the WR room.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:18 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Really? He had some nice plays running jet sweeps, so basically as a pseudo RB. He never really showed much as a WR.

All this tells me is that we have younger and better players on the roster, so he’s leaving to get playing time elsewhere. Big loss? I just don’t see how.
Yeah, Really! He shined when he played in 2019, in only four games by the way to preserve his eligibility. He smoked the griz when he got the ball, sure on fly sweeps but he had great balance and speed. He also did a good job against UNC and scored against Southern Utah. He was dynamic with the ball. He didn't catch many passes because the Cats didn't throw much. Check out his JC film and he had some nice catches in the Sonny Holland scrimmage too.
He was a nice player, I’m not saying otherwise, but he isn’t a big loss by any means. Again, there’s a reason he’s transferring. He wants to play. Which means there are better players on the roster.

I disagree, agree with AFCAT. I think he showed flashes of elite capability and was poised to explode this Fall. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion. As for your last sentence, I respect your opinion but you have no way of knowing if this is why he's leaving. There might have been a conflict with the coaching staff, perhaps an attitude issue, I have no idea... but sometimes in football programs, literally the best player on the team will leave the program.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:21 pm

Flashes of elite capability?

Well ******, then I guess the coaches were dumb as hell to not play him more then.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Flashes of elite capability, poised to explode, running with the 3rd team in the scrimmage.

One of these is not like the others.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:37 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:25 pm
Flashes of elite capability, poised to explode, running with the 3rd team in the scrimmage.

Not talking trash about the kid, but if I remember correctly he was REALLY fiery in the games, borderline creating potential issues with the refs and drawing penalties. If he brought that to practice every day could have rubbed new coaches the wrong way.

I liked his abilities and thought he performed well, I think he would have contributed, I hope he finds a place and starts right away.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:49 pm

I think the only reason he didn't play until the end of the season was to retain his redshirt.

2024 Resume dominance

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:52 pm

Ok. Someone needs to lost the new depth chart. I see this weekend as busy in the portal.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:18 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:37 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Not talking trash about the kid, but if I remember correctly he was REALLY fiery in the games, borderline creating potential issues with the refs and drawing penalties. If he brought that to practice every day could have rubbed new coaches the wrong way.

I liked his abilities and thought he performed well, I think he would have contributed, I hope he finds a place and starts right away.
Yeah, you could really see the fiery personality in the griz game. That personality was actually something I liked about him as long as he didn't go too far with it. The griz did hit him late out of bounds on one play but weren't flagged for anything. I was curious at the time if that late hit hadn't been intentional. I'll see if I can dig it up.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:35 pm

This was the hit I thought was late and a bit of retribution for his fiery personality during the games. Of course they could have just been frustrated from being run ragged too.

Last edited by AFCAT on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:40 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:39 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:35 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Cool, you can have your opinion and I'll have mine. Among the current wide receivers, I don't see a player that was as dynamic as Marshall was in 2019. To me, Marshall is a big loss in that room. I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong come Fall.
I’m a broken record, but Charles Brown is the most dynamic WR on the team, and it isn’t close, before and after this.
I should have put Marshall behind Coy Steel. Coy is also pretty dang good. I think Brown may be great too, especially returning punts and kicks, but he hasn't played a snap yet and is an unknown right now for me. Jaden Smith could be a superstar. A lot of talent for sure.
Coy Steel is a really nice slot, whom I wish played more than Patterson, but I wouldn’t call him dynamic at all. He’s not overly athletic in comparison to his peers.

Did he play in the scrimmage at all?
Good question about Coy. Maybe he’s locked in and they held him out or like so many others, injured. I just like what this guy brings to the team. He turned in a lot of big plays during the year, starting with the touchdown against Texas Tech. He’s just one of those guys that is a whole lot better to have on your team than on the other team. Didn’t he get a pretty bad concussion on that play where he got sandwiched? Hope that has gone away with the year off. Did I say I liked watching Coy play? 😃

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:17 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:40 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:39 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:35 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I should have put Marshall behind Coy Steel. Coy is also pretty dang good. I think Brown may be great too, especially returning punts and kicks, but he hasn't played a snap yet and is an unknown right now for me. Jaden Smith could be a superstar. A lot of talent for sure.
Coy Steel is a really nice slot, whom I wish played more than Patterson, but I wouldn’t call him dynamic at all. He’s not overly athletic in comparison to his peers.

Did he play in the scrimmage at all?
Good question about Coy. Maybe he’s locked in and they held him out or like so many others, injured. I just like what this guy brings to the team. He turned in a lot of big plays during the year, starting with the touchdown against Texas Tech. He’s just one of those guys that is a whole lot better to have on your team than on the other team. Didn’t he get a pretty bad concussion on that play where he got sandwiched? Hope that has gone away with the year off. Did I say I liked watching Coy play? 😃
Neck injury. He also shined as a punt returner in the Albany game.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Marshall had a great game running the ball versus UM and I'm bummed to see him leave.

Keep in mind, however, that MSU has an exceptional OL and some good blockers at the skill positions (TEs, RJ Fitzgerald and Jonsen were good blockers). There's no reason anyone can't run well behind that. Lost in MSU's sound defeat at the hands of NDSU was the fact that Ifanse and Jones combined for 109 yards on 23 carries (4.7) vs. NDSU. As good as the Bison are, they knew that those two would be running the ball and they were unsuccessful at stopping them.

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:08 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:50 am
I figure we should probably start a thread, because I imagine there will be more to come:

After every play he participated in, it seemed Marshall was close to getting a flag for conduct. He seemed pretty hot headed. Sure was dynamic on the jet sweep though for sure.....

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 am

I saw some trash talking, but nothing out of the ordinary for a WR. They're a different kinda player. Kramer always said they were the hardest to coach because they already knew everything!

2024 Resume dominance

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:32 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:08 am
CelticCat wrote:
I figure we should probably start a thread, because I imagine there will be more to come:

After every play he participated in, it seemed Marshall was close to getting a flag for conduct. He seemed pretty hot headed. Sure was dynamic on the jet sweep though for sure.....
He got up talking trash at Hauck's kid and justifiably so. Hauck delivered a cheap shot at the end of the play. One of two such plays by Hauck I saw during that game.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:10 am

Norsky19 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I was actually shocked he wasn’t drawing flags. Also shocked the Coate was letting him get away with it. Totally out of character for a ‘disciplined’ team..

But, yeah. He looked like he could be a really nice piece for the O.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:35 am

The one think I noticed about Marshall was he was the most fluid runner I have seen in a long time. No wasted motion. He ran like Jerry Rice. Not that he was a Jerry Rice receiver but he moved like him.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:09 am

gtapp wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:35 am
The one think I noticed about Marshall was he was the most fluid runner I have seen in a long time. No wasted motion. He ran like Jerry Rice. Not that he was a Jerry Rice receiver but he moved like him.

This!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:29 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:32 am
Norsky19 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

He got up talking trash at Hauck's kid and justifiably so. Hauck delivered a cheap shot at the end of the play. One of two such plays by Hauck I saw during that game.
I'm impressed Hauck was in a position to make a tackle twice in that game... :-^

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:32 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:29 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:32 am
Norsky19 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I'm impressed Hauck was in a position to make a tackle twice in that game... :-^
Ha, yeah, but both of those players were down. Actually one was well on his way out of bounds and the other was about to hit the ground. Both times the hits were unneccessary, but legal.