Transfers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Transfers

Post by rivercat » Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:43 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm
I think Thelen might be as good a passer as Quinn McQueary, who QB'd here for awhile before transferring to Tech where he had a nice career and was second team all Frontier his junior and senior years. They 9-1 his junior year and 6-4 his senior year. Impossible to say with him only take a few snaps vs. 2s and 3s. I think McQ would've started here after Prukop left in 2015. He pulled the trigger too soon. I don't think Thelen was as elusive on his feet as McQ.
Ash not putting him into the Cat Griz game after Bleskin struggled played a role in that.
Nailed it! A huge role. Most coaches would have made a change after 2 or 3 turnovers, but Ash waited for 6.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:01 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:24 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:15 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:09 am
Easton Stick had the one thing that is going to cost Mellott with Vigen — size. I’m a huge Mellott fan, but I fear for his QB chances.
Yeah he's a little bit bigger. Mellott might still be growing. I wouldn't count him out. I don't think Vigen is so narrow-minded that he wouldn't play Mellott, if Mellott is excelling.

Stick 6-1, 215 frosh year at NDSU
Mellott 6-0, 195
Thanks. I was thinking Stick was a little taller than that. He was a ball of muscle by his senior year. He was very hard to bring down, for a mere QB! Go Tommy. I’m hoping for someone fun to watch again. We had such a run with Lulay / McGhee / Prukop. If Vigen can assemble a quarterback like Lulay (or McGhee) who could literally take a game by the throat and truly lead his team to victory — then to paraphrase Yogi “Their limitations would be unlimited.”
Sounds like lots of people are kinda giving up on Mellott, but there’s more to playing QB than completing a few passes in a scrimmage. Football is a team game. Bad QBs have good games, thanks to their teammates, and good QBs have bad games, sometimes at no fault of their own. I saw some good things by him that don’t show up on the stat sheet. I know everyone is rooting for him. I won’t count him out until he’s out.
Nobody is giving up on him. Stop being dramatic.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:16 am

rivercat wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I think Thelen might be as good a passer as Quinn McQueary, who QB'd here for awhile before transferring to Tech where he had a nice career and was second team all Frontier his junior and senior years. They 9-1 his junior year and 6-4 his senior year. Impossible to say with him only take a few snaps vs. 2s and 3s. I think McQ would've started here after Prukop left in 2015. He pulled the trigger too soon. I don't think Thelen was as elusive on his feet as McQ.
Ash not putting him into the Cat Griz game after Bleskin struggled played a role in that.
Nailed it! A huge role. Most coaches would have made a change after 2 or 3 turnovers, but Ash waited for 6.
That was one of the most head-scratching moments of Ash's tenure ever. I loved Jake, but man he was clearly shell shocked after the first turnover and it got worse every following possession. And to top it all off when Quinn did get in he marched right down the field and scored. So frustrating.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:16 am
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
That was one of the most head-scratching moments of Ash's tenure ever. I loved Jake, but man he was clearly shell shocked after the first turnover and it got worse every following possession. And to top it all off when Quinn did get in he marched right down the field and scored. So frustrating.
In Jake's defense, he was also moving the ball pretty well and several of those turnovers were freak occurrences. That said, after 3 I would have liked to see Quinn in as well. Even if just for a series or two(I think if he would have played like he did, he would have stayed in), to let Jake reset.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
In Jake's defense, he was also moving the ball pretty well and several of those turnovers were freak occurrences. That said, after 3 I would have liked to see Quinn in as well. Even if just for a series or two(I think if he would have played like he did, he would have stayed in), to let Jake reset.

I believe this was talked about quite a bit during and after the game in question. I think he(Bleskin) was hurt early on in the passing arm or shoulder that contributed to the fiasco that evening. Another addition to the head scratchin that night. If he wasn't injured, he appeared so sometime in the first quarter if memory serves.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed May 12, 2021 1:20 pm

kwcat wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm
technoCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I believe this was talked about quite a bit during and after the game in question. I think he(Bleskin) was hurt early on in the passing arm or shoulder that contributed to the fiasco that evening. Another addition to the head scratchin that night. If he wasn't injured, he appeared so sometime in the first quarter if memory serves.
I'll always remember that game as the day I started wanting Ash to be fired. Unfortunately it took an entire year to come about.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:50 pm

You all forget we have Sean Austin coming in thus summer. We'll have to see how Mellot fares with Austin as a competitor!

2024 Resume dominance

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Wed May 12, 2021 3:27 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:01 am
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Easton Stick had the one thing that is going to cost Mellott with Vigen — size. I’m a huge Mellott fan, but I fear for his QB chances.
Yeah he's a little bit bigger. Mellott might still be growing. I wouldn't count him out. I don't think Vigen is so narrow-minded that he wouldn't play Mellott, if Mellott is excelling.

Mellott 6-0, 195
Thanks. I was thinking Stick was a little taller than that. He was a ball of muscle by his senior year. He was very hard to bring down, for a mere QB! Go Tommy. I’m hoping for someone fun to watch again. We had such a run with Lulay / McGhee / Prukop. If Vigen can assemble a quarterback like Lulay (or McGhee) who could literally take a game by the throat and truly lead his team to victory — then to paraphrase Yogi “Their limitations would be unlimited.”
Sounds like lots of people are kinda giving up on Mellott, but there’s more to playing QB than completing a few passes in a scrimmage. Football is a team game. Bad QBs have good games, thanks to their teammates, and good QBs have bad games, sometimes at no fault of their own. I saw some good things by him that don’t show up on the stat sheet. I know everyone is rooting for him. I won’t count him out until he’s out.
That’s like asking Will Farrel to stop being funny. Lol

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed May 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:50 pm
You all forget we have Sean Austin coming in thus summer. We'll have to see how Mellot fares with Austin as a competitor!
Holy crap, its been such a weird year I completely forgot we have a group of freshman coming in this fall. #-o

I really think that Mellott will be special if he sticks around for another 2 years and keeps his nose to the grindstone. He has a lot of tools, just needs to put them all together.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:27 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Mellott 6-0, 195
Will farell is funny?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 12, 2021 7:58 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Mellott 6-0, 195
Will farell is funny?
Will Ferrell is.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed May 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Montanabob wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Mellott 6-0, 195
Will farell is funny?
He stopped.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

non casual observer
New Recruit

Post by non casual observer » Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:20 pm
kwcat wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm
technoCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I'll always remember that game as the day I started wanting Ash to be fired. Unfortunately it took an entire year to come about.
I'm mostly a lurker, don't post much. However, I was at that game in the family section near McQueary's parents and I think Bleskin's parents were there also. Felt horrible for Bleskin and the whole family section is screaming at Ash to pull him out after the third turnover, why put the poor kid through this, etc. Wasn't pretty and Ash seemed relaxed, unconcerned, kind of wondering what color he should stain his deck then next day. IMHO, he should have been fired that afternoon. Cats got curb stomped that day and now Bleskin gets to carry that memory which isn't fair to him at all.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu May 13, 2021 8:54 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Vigen recruited Sean Austin at Wyoming too. I think he really likes him, and my guess is he's anxious to get somebody in there that's his guy. This isn't his guy, but he would've been.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu May 13, 2021 8:58 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:35 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Holy crap, its been such a weird year I completely forgot we have a group of freshman coming in this fall. #-o

I really think that Mellott will be special if he sticks around for another 2 years and keeps his nose to the grindstone. He has a lot of tools, just needs to put them all together.
Agreed. People forget how excited Justin Udy and Choate were about Mellott. And the kid is still a true freshman where no eligibility has been lost with the past year. Mellot still potentially has 5 years left in the program. The biggest concern is that he is super smart and will probably graduate in the next 3 years.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:44 pm
Montanabob wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Mellott 6-0, 195
Will farell is funny?
He stopped.
You can't possibly think the cheerleader crap in snl was funny.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu May 13, 2021 12:49 pm

allcat wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Mellott 6-0, 195
Will farell is funny?
He stopped.
Nope. Hated it. I didn't like that era of SNL in general.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Fri May 14, 2021 8:02 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:49 pm
allcat wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Mellott 6-0, 195
Will farell is funny?
He stopped.
Nope. Hated it. I didn't like that era of SNL in general.
SNL stopped being funny around 1990.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am

FFS - start a SNL thread somewhere else. Tired of having to scroll through this garbage to find no significant content

IYAACYAS

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:54 am

CPACAT wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am
FFS - start a SNL thread somewhere else. Tired of having to scroll through this garbage to find no significant content