Spring game things

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Spring game things

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:41 pm

Share your thoughts from the game. Thoughts, observations, predictions whatever else.

My first observation, Rovig outplayed McKay. McKay didn't throw much but Rovig looked poised, made some really nice throws and actually went through his progressions a couple times.

Our running game is going to be a problem for opposing defenses. We have 4 RBs that could start at a lot of schools.

Nate Stewart and Jaden Smith are going to have a lot of catches and a lot of yards. The WRs in general looked really good and the QBs made some nice throws.

Ben Seymour and Sebastian Valdez looked good on D. Seymour was in on a lot of plays and is really quick. Miles Jackson was impressive as well.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: Spring game things

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:17 pm

I thought Marshall looked great at WR. Theilen was very impressive. What a stable of RBs. Ifanse, Elliot, Martin, Hosey, Summer. Opposing teams are going to have a tough time. Also, TE position is loaded. Very excited for the Fall!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:20 pm

Am I crazy, or did Thelen look like the best qb today?!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:23 pm

Elliott is going to be a fun one to watch for the next 4 years... Ifanse is incredible... with this OL and stable of RB’s, it’s going to be hard for the coaches to not just run it every single play.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:37 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:20 pm
It is a nice problem to have with the qbs. Thelen has a little bit of Lulay in him. He finds a way. Yes, very impressive. I don’t think we saw all what McKay can do. Will be exciting to see what he does in Fall camp. Rovig is Rovig. He is steady and looked improved. Mellot needs more experience. He is going to be a good one. The question mark is where Bauman fits in. Fall camp will be interesting.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:54 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:37 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
It is a nice problem to have with the qbs. Thelen has a little bit of Lulay in him. He finds a way. Yes, very impressive. I don’t think we saw all what McKay can do. Will be exciting to see what he does in Fall camp. Rovig is Rovig. He is steady and looked improved. Mellot needs more experience. He is going to be a good one. The question mark is where Bauman fits in. Fall camp will be interesting.
From the previous two Saturdays, it looked to me like Bauman had passed Rovig. Too bad he was out for this one. Rovig looked much better today than he had before. McKay did not look as sharp today and did not hardly run at all. In the past scrimmages when he did not have a yellow shirt on, he is really a darn good runner and a solid passer. He is going to be hard for Big Sky defenses to handle.

Thelen would easily start at any Frontier Conference school, so I would not be surprised if he decides to transfer. He really is a pretty good thrower and a good athlete.

The running game looks super good with our O-line and RBs. I really hope Ifanse stays healthy. If he does, he could have a huge year.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Thelen out played Rovig. McKay out played Rovig. Rovig outplayed Mellot.

Rovig once again made an awful decision, threw across the field, and it resulted in an easy pick. An upperclassman, who is supposed to be a game manager, cannot do those types of things.

McKay was steady, and wasn’t allowed to play a portion of what his game is. That makes a big difference. He’s the starter for a reason.

I was really impressed with the OL, the RB’s, and Jaden Smith. He fought hard for yards after the catch. The RB crew is loaded. I’d trust about 5 of those guys as starters. Snell is a really good play action thread because he’s such a good blocker. Thelen has an impressive arm. Hope he stays.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:10 pm

Fwiw, on the play that Rovig got intercepted on, that’s a designed wheel from the RB where they leak after all the play action is to the opposite field. Miles Jackson did a tremendous job staying with his assignment. I bet it’s usually open. Still, Rovig needs to recognize that, or he just doesn’t have the arm strength to get it done. Either way, great play from Jackson, really poor decision from Rovig.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:15 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Rovig once again made an awful decision, threw across the field, and it resulted in an easy pick. An upperclassman, who is supposed to be a game manager, cannot do those types of things.

McKay was steady, and wasn’t allowed to play a portion of what his game is. That makes a big difference. He’s the starter for a reason.

I was really impressed with the OL, the RB’s, and Jaden Smith. He fought hard for yards after the catch. The RB crew is loaded. I’d trust about 5 of those guys as starters. Snell is a really good play action thread because he’s such a good blocker. Thelen has an impressive arm. Hope he stays.
Gotta disagree about Rovig here. He was good on all but the Int. Accuracy was way better than it ever has been, evn in past scrimmages. His deep ball is the best of all the QBs. The ball down the sideline to Stewart was perfect. The ball across the middle in the red zone before he ran it in a couple plays later was a great job of him going through progressions. Thelen looked good no doubt. But his deep balls were bad today.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:15 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

Gotta disagree about Rovig here. He was good on all but the Int. Accuracy was way better than it ever has been, evn in past scrimmages. His deep ball is the best of all the QBs. The ball down the sideline to Stewart was perfect. The ball across the middle in the red zone before he ran it in a couple plays later was a great job of him going through progressions. Thelen looked good no doubt. But his deep balls were bad today.
I guess if you really like a ball that floats in the air, he’s got a good deep ball.

Anyways, I’ll go with what Vigen thinks and Colter reported. QB3.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
That’s what I thought, especially in the second half.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

4KornerKat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 4KornerKat » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:54 pm

I felt like they didn't really let McKay do too much, would have liked to see him throw a bit more. That td he had that was called "down" was just a hint of what's to come I think.

I thought Rovig played well, but he still seems to be a bit late to make the right decision, and then with his slower delivery combines for many incompletions/interceptions, but this seems to be progressing for the better.

Thelen seemed a bit excited on his first few series, but settled down and played as well as anyone toward the end.

Melott played well, he was definitely hit on that pick, but wondering if he doesn't switch positions to get on the field, very talented athletically

Really excited to see what Jaden Smith can do, was exciting to see him get a few receptions late and run hard.

Running backs are incredible, but Ifanse is still clearly on a different level.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:04 pm

WATCH: Montana State football: Brent Vigen following Sonny Holland Spring Classic
https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-sta ... g-classic/

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:16 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

I guess if you really like a ball that floats in the air, he’s got a good deep ball.

Doesn't really matter how it gets there as long as it's in the right spot. I'm not saying he should be QB1, just thought he outplayed the other QBs today.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:16 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Doesn't really matter how it gets there as long as it's in the right spot. I'm not saying he should be QB1, just thought he outplayed the other QBs today.
Yes, it absolutely does matter how it gets there. How it gets to the spot is the difference between an interception or not.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:05 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Yes, it absolutely does matter how it gets there. How it gets to the spot is the difference between an interception or not.
Tell that to Peyton Manning. I gotta say, you remind me of my crotchety old grandpa. He never agrees with anyone on anything, even if he might actually agree, just so he can argue and debate with people :lol:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:19 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

But if it’s intercepted it didn’t get to the spot. :lol:

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:29 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
That’s what I thought, especially in the second half.
I was impressed by his arm strength and accuracy. Love to see him play in a real game situation. Lots of talent.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 pm

I thought that as a whole, the QBs looked good. The first deep ball of the day by McKay was a beautiful ball. I saw leadership traits in McKay today. I think he’ll be a great leader. Rovig overachieved in 2019 by getting us to the Semis. When Lulay and McGhee walked into the field, there was a direct knowledge of who was in charge. I’ve never felt that with Rovig.

Running backs and Offensive Line looked dominant but I thought there was a drop off from the Ones to Twos at OL. I think there’s 5 starters at RB for any team in the league that play for us.

Obviously missing several starters on Defense but the replacements weren’t drastically behind the guys that didn’t play. Defense is going to be really tough. Manning was solid in the back.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:04 pm

RECAP - Running backs steal the show at Sonny Holland Spring Classic

https://skylinesportsmt.com/running-bac ... g-classic/