DL

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

msubobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

DL

Post by msubobcat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:24 pm

I know the D-Line is a little banged up and with retirement of John Clark we are a little thin. Is this going to be an issue in fall? it seems on paper we would be ok with: Benson, Finch, Areta, Regimbal, Hardy, Wehr, Jobman, Schmidt, Rygg, Rollins, Valdez, Williams, Eaton, Seymour, Yates. Seems like plenty of depth, are the younger guys not ready yet? Do you except a transfer to come in and help? Is it a product of change in scheme? Coach Vigen has mentioned in last few interviews how thin we are on DL. Just curious what bobcat nation thinks?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: DL

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:33 pm

We might be thin, maybe, but our 1s are going to be a problem. And our 2s are no slouches either.

Are we really that thin though? Benson, Areta, Williams, Jobman/Hardy/Seymour seems like a pretty good starting group. Rollins, Rygg and Yates all have experience. We may be thin in the middle, but I don't think we are at DE.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:33 pm
We might be thin, maybe, but our 1s are going to be a problem. And our 2s are no slouches either.

Are we really that thin though? Benson, Areta, Williams, Jobman/Hardy/Seymour seems like a pretty good starting group. Rollins, Rygg and Yates all have experience. We may be thin in the middle, but I don't think we are at DE.
Areta has mostly been running with 3's and sometimes 2's during spring ball. He just has to keep progressing in his development as he was extremely raw out of high school. Sebastian Valdez has still been a huge get out of that 2020 recruiting class. They really need Blake Schmidt to be productive as he's been getting some run with the 1's along with Rygg when Benson and Rollins have been out.

The 3-deep will likely be a mix of the following:

LDE: Williams/Hardy or Seymour or Wehr
1-Tech: Benson/Schmidt/Areta
3-Tech: Rollins/Rygg/Valdez or Eaton
RDE: Hardy/Finch or Jobman or Regimbal or Wehr

Players like Finch, Valdez, Regimbal, and Wehr can be flexible along the interior or exterior.

What they really need right now is a transfer or two to provide more experience along with interior. I believe we have a transfer from Hawaii (Mason Vega) lined up and they'll likely be hitting the transfer portal post-spring. I like our ends but we could probably use one more pass rusher as well.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:14 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:10 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

Areta has mostly been running with 3's and sometimes 2's during spring ball. He just has to keep progressing in his development as he was extremely raw out of high school. Sebastian Valdez has still been a huge get out of that 2020 recruiting class. They really need Blake Schmidt to be productive as he's been getting some run with the 1's along with Rygg when Benson and Rollins have been out.

Players like Finch, Valdez, Regimbal, and Wehr can be flexible along the interior or exterior.

What they really need right now is a transfer or two to provide more experience along with interior. I believe we have a transfer from Hawaii (Mason Vega) lined up and they'll likely be hitting the transfer portal post-spring. I like our ends but we could probably use one more pass rusher as well.
Good info. Thanks for that. I see Areta in a bunch of videos so I assumed he was higher on the depth chart, but he's pretty hard to miss I guess :lol:

I was really impressed by Seymour in the fall scrimmage. He was super quick off the edge.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:22 pm

I see this as the only potential weak area of the team. Plenty of fast and athletic DE's albeit on the small side. At interior DL I think we only have 1 player with any snaps (Benson) so this is an inexperienced group and not a ton of size. Having said that I thought we would have problems after 2018 due to graduation and we were very good in 2019. I also don't think size is a big issue. I remember Shawn Ross and Beau Clark both being around 255 lbs. and being very production on the interior. I guess it comes down to players we don't have a lot of exposure to. They could turn out to be like the 2019 team and this could become a strength.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Does this switch to a 4-3 relegate Greg Hardy #44 to the 3s? I had presumed he’d be a starter in the 3-4. Or is his day job at some other position? When talking about putting our best 11 on the field that he was one of them. Just wondering.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:26 pm

Hardy is a starting edge.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:30 am

I like Rollins. Whenever he got on the field late in games, he stood out and made plays. Reminds me of Brian Bignell. I think he’s going to be really good especially on passing downs.

Speaking of which. Can you imagine the opposition on passing downs? Williams, Hardy, Andersen, et al coming at all kinds of different directions. If they can stop the run you’ll see a lot of sacks, picks and chucks. As in chuck the ball into the stands.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Are you guys talking about Kenneth Eiden on D Line? I assume so but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with a new player based on that spelling..... I think Eiden is going to be a stud, starting this Fall.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:38 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Are you guys talking about Kenneth Eiden on D Line? I assume so but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with a new player based on that spelling..... I think Eiden is going to be a stud, starting this Fall.
Talking about the current spring ball group and Tua Areta is the player discussed. Kenneth will challenge for the two-deep in the fall in my opinion.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:55 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:38 pm
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Talking about the current spring ball group and Tua Areta is the player discussed. Kenneth will challenge for the two-deep in the fall in my opinion.
Gotchya. When msubobcat called him Eaton, and then you repeated it with that same spelling I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:52 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:55 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:38 pm
catatac wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Gotchya. When msubobcat called him Eaton, and then you repeated it with that same spelling I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
I think they were referring to Boe Eaton who is possibly in the 3 deep this spring.

Eiden will challenge for a spot this fall - which is why he is not in the list above.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:35 pm

Boe Eaton is going to be a good one. Big kid from a big men in his family. He has a younger brother not to far behind him in size. His dad was a good player. Probably got that big wrestling all those Charolaise calves! I think we have depth, it is just young depth!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:50 am

superbobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:35 pm
Boe Eaton is going to be a good one. Big kid from a big men in his family. He has a younger brother not to far behind him in size. His dad was a good player. Probably got that big wrestling all those Charolaise calves! I think we have depth, it is just young depth!
Is Boe a walk-on? I don’t recall seeing his name on signing day and there is no bio on the roster. Did his dad play for MSU in the late 80’s?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:53 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:50 am
superbobcat wrote:
Is Boe a walk-on? I don’t recall seeing his name on signing day and there is no bio on the roster. Did his dad play for MSU in the late 80’s?
Made the roster in spring 2020 through a tryout.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:56 am

Cataholic wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
I missed it too. Even searching "Boe Eaton" and "Bo Eaton" here on BN didn't show anything until this thread.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:57 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:53 am
Cataholic wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Made the roster in spring 2020 through a tryout.
This is what I thought the "Director of On Campus Recruiting" was in charge of. :roll:

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 am

97 on the roster. Says he is a Freshman. His dad is Scott Eaton.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 am

superbobcat wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 am
97 on the roster. Says he is a Freshman. His dad is Scott Eaton.
I knew Scott in college. My recollection was that Scott walked on too.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 am

superbobcat wrote:
Remember seeing my first Charolaise bull and was pretty darned impressed. HUGE...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.