Bergen flips commitment to Grizzlies

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bergen flips commitment to Grizzlies

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:47 am

rivercat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:37 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:09 pm
Anyone know the No. 1 reason players decommit/transfer?
An athlete is allowed to decommit if there is a change of coach or if the recruiting wasn't truthful (ie "We are only recruiting 1 tight end and you are it." and the recruit finds multiple tight ends in his recruiting class).
I think you can de-commit anytime for any reason since it’s just a non-binding verbal commitment.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:48 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:56 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:22 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Girlfriends? :lol: :-k
So close! 🤣
Cheerleaders promising to be girlfriends if a transfer happrns?

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:07 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:47 am
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
An athlete is allowed to decommit if there is a change of coach or if the recruiting wasn't truthful (ie "We are only recruiting 1 tight end and you are it." and the recruit finds multiple tight ends in his recruiting class).
I think you can de-commit anytime for any reason since it’s just a non-binding verbal commitment.
I'm talking about a kid that has signed s national letter of intent, a binding contract. Bergen had signed an NLI on "Signing Day".

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:18 am

Could be as simple as he sees a greater opportunity for playing time at UM. We are stacked.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:48 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:07 am
TomCat88 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I'm talking about a kid that has signed s national letter of intent, a binding contract. Bergen had signed an NLI on "Signing Day".

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/04 ... basketball

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:11 am

All they have to do, basically, is ask for a release from the NLI.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:48 am
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

It's going to be interesting. Schools will have to be great at roster/scholarship management. MSU will lose kids after they've proven themselves, but with big programs constantly adding transfers, they'll naturally have to drop players. It might take a couple years, but I'd imagine for every player MSU loses, they'll be replaced by a drop-down.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 am
Cat Grad wrote:
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

It's going to be interesting. Schools will have to be great at roster/scholarship management. MSU will lose kids after they've proven themselves, but with big programs constantly adding transfers, they'll naturally have to drop players. It might take a couple years, but I'd imagine for every player MSU loses, they'll be replaced by a drop-down.
As mentioned in the article; this will be tough on high school and junior college recruits. I think FCS and D-II will become the minor leagues of football for the FBS, especially the P5.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:27 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

As mentioned in the article; this will be tough on high school and junior college recruits. I think FCS and D-II will become the minor leagues of football for the FBS, especially the P5.
I appreciate the coaches in the P5 schools who pushed this through for the kids. As with the young man from Billings in this thread proves, a kid should be allowed to change his mind with no penalty as they ought to be able to at least have a little spending money also. To a certain extent, we all live vicariously through the work and dedication of a few 17-21 year-old kids.

Where I hope we all see real progress is in the basketball programs. I know our Lady Cat program has done well with transfers of late and here's hoping the men can attain a reasonable amount of success similar to what Few enjoys in Spokane. Winning and playtime certainly helps.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
rivercat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Agreed. I think the intent of this is to be player-first, but I think it's only player-first for the blue chippers and the veteran players. Schools will have less loyalty than ever to players, because they'll be forced to work with a more fluid roster situation. Programs will have trouble committing to high school kids (or even kids already on their roster who aren't as productive) because they'll always be trying to find an equal replacement for the player who might potentially move up.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:51 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:56 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:22 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Girlfriends? :lol: :-k
So close! 🤣
Coaching change?

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:58 pm

I just don't see why any athlete would change their commitment and leave a top academic school to go to one that is far inferior academically. The lifetime earnings of graduates from STEM schools such as MSU compared to liberal arts schools like UM is far more important than who your coach is for 4 years.Anyway,good luck young man, I hope it all works out for you.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:07 pm

desmond1957 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:58 pm
I just don't see why any athlete would change their commitment and leave a top academic school to go to one that is far inferior academically. The lifetime earnings of graduates from STEM schools such as MSU compared to liberal arts schools like UM is far more important than who your coach is for 4 years.Anyway,good luck young man, I hope it all works out for you.
Does anyone know what he was planning for a major? If he wasn't going into STEM or another area where MSU is particularly strong it probably doesn't matter where he goes to school. You can get a business degree anywhere for example. I assume his first priority right now is football, not major/career, which is not at all uncommon for highly recruited players.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:58 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:07 pm
desmond1957 wrote:
Does anyone know what he was planning for a major? If he wasn't going into STEM or another area where MSU is particularly strong it probably doesn't matter where he goes to school. You can get a business degree anywhere for example. I assume his first priority right now is football, not major/career, which is not at all uncommon for highly recruited players.
Did he have a scholarship or was he a pwo?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:58 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:07 pm
desmond1957 wrote:
Did he have a scholarship or was he a pwo?
Scholarship. Both Cats and Griz were after him hard. Was definitely one of the top players in the state.