Anyone ever notice Sneed's big mistake in 2018?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Anyone ever notice Sneed's big mistake in 2018?

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 pm

I just noticed this tonight for the first time. When Sneed fumbled the ball late in the fourth he cut right instead of left and it was a huge mistake. Sterk had backed off in coverage and probably had more to do with Sneed going right than anything, but if he goes left he probably gets more yardage, gets knocked out of bounds (instead of blasted by Collins) and doesn't lose the ball.

Go to 2:24:30 of the game and let me know what you think. Did anyone already notice this? Maybe it was talked about back then, but I just noticed. Focus on Sterk coming up on the sideline and not on Sneed running the ball to get the full effect.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lutecat
Member # Retired

Re: Anyone ever notice Sneed's big mistake in 2018?

Post by lutecat » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:34 am

I think he just made a decision based on thinking everyone would assume he's running out of bounds. So if they're not expecting him to stay in bounds maybe he gets more yardage. It also shows why qb's run out of bounds most of the time in these situations.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 am

I think it's instinctual to try and gain as many yards as possible because you don't know how the coming downs will play out. Mistake? I don't know. Seems like there's an argument no matter what a runner in that situation decides to do.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:20 am

I love tracking Grant Collins on that play. Talk about 100% effort and never giving up on a play.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 pm
I just noticed this tonight for the first time. When Sneed fumbled the ball late in the fourth he cut right instead of left and it was a huge mistake. Sterk had backed off in coverage and probably had more to do with Sneed going right than anything, but if he goes left he probably gets more yardage, gets knocked out of bounds (instead of blasted by Collins) and doesn't lose the ball.

Go to 2:24:30 of the game and let me know what you think. Did anyone already notice this? Maybe it was talked about back then, but I just noticed. Focus on Sterk coming up on the sideline and not on Sneed running the ball to get the full effect.

Damn you TomCat!!!!! Of course there's no way in H*** I can watch that one play and not now watch the rest of the game! LOL

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

Damn you TomCat!!!!! Of course there's no way in H*** I can watch that one play and not now watch the rest of the game! LOL
Don't spoil it for me and tell me what happens the rest of the game.
Let me be surprised.
:lol: :lol:

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:39 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

I'll throw in my 2 cents: No. Not a mistake.

They had the ball and lead in the bottom half of the 4th quarter, and the goal is to close out the game. Sure, another score absolutely moves the needle, but they also were best served by running out the clock. In this case, I think staying in bounds and burning time was the correct decision.

On another note, the other guys only talk about the Eastwood fumble and never about this fumble. Again, they had the lead and the ball with 5 minutes with the offense moving the ball with ease. We looked gassed, and we looked just as gassed on their next drive up to the final defensive play. Sneed killed those guys with this fumble. Bigly.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 pm

CatBot wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:39 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

I'll throw in my 2 cents: No. Not a mistake.

They had the ball and lead in the bottom half of the 4th quarter, and the goal is to close out the game. Sure, another score absolutely moves the needle, but they also were best served by running out the clock. In this case, I think staying in bounds and burning time was the correct decision.

On another note, the other guys only talk about the Eastwood fumble and never about this fumble. Again, they had the lead and the ball with 5 minutes with the offense moving the ball with ease. We looked gassed, and we looked just as gassed on their next drive up to the final defensive play. Sneed killed those guys with this fumble. Bigly.
I’m just saying mistake with my 20/20 hindsight. He had to make a snap decision based on the way the guy was blocking for him and had no way of knowing what was about to happen. Had he gone left, he probably doesn’t get ear-holed by Collins and UM maybe hangs on to win. You never know.

Just wondering if anyone noticed that he cut right instead of left. Might’ve been the difference in the game in that one split second decision.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MTnative
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MTnative » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:50 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

I just watched the last 20 minutes of that game like it was my job. I will never forget that game as long as I live.

But getting to the point, Tom I think you're spot on. Had Sneed cut the other way, the result might have been alot different. But "thats football."

FMFP_PHOTO
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by FMFP_PHOTO » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:32 am

Watching the game for the first time brings smiles to my face. I didn't attend MSU nor did I even heard about MSU while in college at OSU Beavers. But I have been living in Montana for almost 11 years and I am a Bobcat at heart. Lots of great things have happened to me and my family here in Bobcat Country.

The play several of you are talking about will forever make the name "Grant Collins" be remembered... He blitzed from the left side, never got to Sneed but the pressure he applied forced Sneed left, Grant pursued the play, got to Sneed, forced the fumble and recovered it. One heck of a play by Grant in his senior year, against the in State rival the Griz. A great way to end your football career. My hat off to him.

I enjoy watching the game on TV now; I was on the fieldI and photographed it, however my perspective (angle) then was so different than watching it now on TV.

Cheers, Felix
wwww.bobcatmagazines.com